US Politics

Rich

11 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:
be interesting to see what Trump does in regards to Assange.  His Russian handlers won’t like today’s developments. 

It will be high-profile and messy but I don't expect Russia will allow Assange to escape the UK alive. 

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

It will be high-profile and messy but I don't expect Russia will allow Assange to escape the UK alive. 

I suspect the American's will keep good care of him until he's on US soil.  I have little doubt DOJ law enforcement want this guy bad...the connections to Russia and to Trump could be shocking.  But you have to think Trump will intervene (or order his AG to intervene).  

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I suspect the American's will keep good care of him until he's on US soil.  I have little doubt DOJ law enforcement want this guy bad...the connections to Russia and to Trump could be shocking.  But you have to think Trump will intervene (or order his AG to intervene).  

Extradition is going to take a while, no? Unless they've already cleared that hurdle with the earlier charges? 

The official charges are not that strong. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Extradition is going to take a while, no? Unless they've already cleared that hurdle with the earlier charges? 

The official charges are not that strong. 

I guess its a lot of breaking news but sounds like the UK arrested him on behalf of the US.  I would think extradition would be pretty quick.  Although, would the UK folks want to keep him out of Trump's hands...  Someone (who knows who) is going to have a long, difficult talk with Assange that he will not like....

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I guess its a lot of breaking news but sounds like the UK arrested him on behalf of the US.  I would think extradition would be pretty quick.  Although, would the UK folks want to keep him out of Trump's hands...  Someone (who knows who) is going to have a long, difficult talk with Assange that he will not like....

Maybe not so quick if you look at the similar case with the Huawei exec in Canada.  She was arrested December on behalf of the US and she's still in Canadian custody (and will be for the foreseable future).

Just now, bluto said:

Odd that this is going down just as the Spygate "conspiracy theory" is beginning to boil...

(fun fact, Wikipedia admins are still reverting every edit to the Spygate "conspiracy theory" page that updates it)

When the AG gives it credibility with zero evidence....disgraceful.   Its funny because of all the evidence of Russian interference in the election and their contacts with Trump's people and Trump calls it a witch hunt.  Now you have the AG say he has zero evidence but wants to look at how the investigation began...talk about witch hunt.

1 minute ago, bluto said:

Odd that this is going down just as the Spygate "conspiracy theory" is beginning to boil...

(fun fact, Wikipedia admins are still reverting every edit to the Spygate "conspiracy theory" page that updates it)

What's Spygate?