US Politics

Rich

Pretty sweet set up when you can appoint the guy who gets to determine whether you did anything wrong eh? 

Anyone surprised that a guy Trump picked for a position based solely on his public outcry against the whole investigation summed it up in the best way possible for the president? 

Now obviously I haven't read the report, nor am I likely to ever since you know, not a lawyer and I am assuming there's lots of techinical stuff in there, but I suspect the evidence is far worse for Trump than this. How not when so many of his senior people are already in hot water and there were so many indictments already? I suspect it was the office saving Trump more than anything else. 

10 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Pretty sweet set up when you can appoint the guy who gets to determine whether you did anything wrong eh? 

Anyone surprised that a guy Trump picked for a position based solely on his public outcry against the whole investigation summed it up in the best way possible for the president? 

Now obviously I haven't read the report, nor am I likely to ever since you know, not a lawyer and I am assuming there's lots of techinical stuff in there, but I suspect the evidence is far worse for Trump than this. How not when so many of his senior people are already in hot water and there were so many indictments already? I suspect it was the office saving Trump more than anything else. 

Well as far as reading the report, I remember coming home and sitting down in front of the computer to read the Ken Starr report.  I guess the GOP didnt have the same concerns for the office of President back then.  And it was pretty embarrassing and damning to Clinton.  

And the point is, its almost impossible to believe the campaign didnt collude when you have facts already presented to show the opposite.  Thats what raises questions and makes it important to see the full report and underlying documentation.  Is it that they were all useful idiots and NOT malicious?  Okay, we can buy that.  I mean, Trump himself publicly asked Russia to find the emails right after his campaign met with Russians....Don Jr was ecstatic to think he was going into a meeting with Russians who made the meeting on behalf of the government of Russia, to get Hilary dirt.  Its clear they WANTED Russia's help...now whether they were smart enough to coordinate and conspire or how far it went...thats what Congress needs to determine.

And at the very least, Mueller should be called to explain his findings rather then rely on Trump's AG

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Egg on the face of talking heads

It’s undeniable that the most feverish anti-Trump figures in the media — including some supposed legal experts — let their hopes outrun the facts on the Russia story. 

Anyone who turned on their television in the immediate aftermath of the Barr letter would have been struck by the amount of attempted face-saving underway.

Mueller’s findings make the confident predictions that he was about to lower the boom on Trump and members of his immediate family look foolish, plain and simple.

Expect Trump and his allies to beat their anti-media drum even louder in the days and months ahead. It’s a good bet they will still be using the Mueller episode as an example of media excess as Election Day 2020 looms.

In a Sunday evening statement, Vice President Pence exulted in “a great day for America.” 

He made a point to include unnamed “members of the media” alongside Democrats as those he said had leveled “reckless accusations.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/435556-mueller-delivers-a-win-for-trump-five-takeaways

The Fake news is making the case for Trump in 2020 all on their own. 

The bits of things I've read basically are saying that Barr's assumption is because there's no direct link between Trump and the Russian government (key phrase that one) he can't possibly have been obstructing justice because there was nothing to obstruct. 

It's pretty clear there was collusion with Russians, just not the government. Which is stupid since everyone knows that it's the Russian Oligarchs that are basically the government anyway. Putin is smart enough to not make it official but come on, people need to stop and think for a bit rather than playing for team left or team right. 

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The bits of things I've read basically are saying that Barr's assumption is because there's no direct link between Trump and the Russian government (key phrase that one) he can't possibly have been obstructing justice because there was nothing to obstruct. 

It's pretty clear there was collusion with Russians, just not the government. Which is stupid since everyone knows that it's the Russian Oligarchs that are basically the government anyway. Putin is smart enough to not make it official but come on, people need to stop and think for a bit rather than playing for team left or team right. 

But even those Oligarchs made it clear they were reaching out on behalf of Putin.  It might be that Mueller couldn't connect those dots enough to make a case.  

Trump himself said he fired Comey to make the Russian investigation go away.  Plus it was Trump who put out the lie about Don Jr's meeting with Russians.  Again, maybe it doesnt rise to an indictment but thats the bread & butter of the report that needs to be examined.  There is no way Congress can conclude their investigations without access to Mueller's full and complete report.

We already know Trump is a crook.  He's an unindicted co-conspirator in at least one felony.  Is that enough to impeach?  Personally, I dont think so... but even if you have you MAGA hat pulled down over your eyes and think the Dems' investigations help Trump, you can't pretend that there isnt way way way too much smoke for Congress to shirk it's duty to look for a fire.  

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Just now, Goalie said:

Im talking Barr here dumbass

And in fact, we dont really know what Mueller said because we dont know his report.  We know Trump's AG has said there is no support for criminal charges.  But he said before he was AG that there was no mechanism for charging Trump.  So even if Mueller found Trump had killed a man with his bare hands in the oval office and buried him in the rose garden, Barr made it clear, Trump was in zero jeopardy.

Which makes Barr's assertion that Trump has not been exonerated all the more interesting.  Another way of saying that is, the DOJ suspects Trump of obstruction.  

Just now, Goalie said:

So basically ppl are going on the word of Republicans here? Cuz the mueller report hasnt been released to the public. And it wont be cuz it will show once again the ppl who want to take away ppls rights are lying once again. Brainwashed Republican fools here 2? Uggg. 

Imagine if Clinton had got the Starr report hidden away in a draw somewhere and his own AG issued a report saying "nothing to see here".  GOP would go bonkers.  And honestly, rightfully so.  If Trump is exonerated, no harm in the public seeing the report.  We learned far more about Clinton's sex life in the Starr report than we needed to know.  So what, is the Mueller report embarrassing for Trump?  Too bad.  Its of public interest.

The real reason is, that report is damning of Trump and he knows it.  Hence is fevered angry tweeting last week when he knew the report was coming (which means Barr was leaking to him) and his utter silence when the report came because he knew it was damning and was waiting to see how far Barr would go to protect him.

And for the all white nationalist supporters arguing that the "fake news" and Dem supporters are changing their tune on accepting the report, let's point out that Trump wants you to accept this report after demeaning and undermining the report, the special counsel and the entire investigation for two years.  So if Trump wanted you to not believe this report, everyone is now expected to believe the SUMMARY of the report, done by the AG?  Come on...you cant have it both ways.  

Just now, Goalie said:

Theres is... Because our Prime Minister was elected legally. 

Thats an excellent point.  Personally, I can't stand Trudeau and I think he's as crooked as can be in this instance.  And it stinks to high heaven that he's blocked an investigation.  BUT...the mechanism by which the people get satisfaction on this one is to vote him out next election and if the public is still interested, the new government can investigate whatever they want.

In the case of the US, the real concern is a stolen election.  We already know trump committed a felony to protect his chances in the election when he paid off women days before the election.  We also know the only bad apples in the FBI were out of the New York office who had connections to Rudy who forced Comey to make that idiotic public proclamation about Hilary shortly before the election.

Those two factors, regardless of Russia's interference, which we know based on facts, included communications with Trump's campaign, won it for Trump.  And we know this by simply looking at the facts.  When the P*ssy tape came out, Trump was sunk.  He knew it.  Everyone knew it.  Comeys statement in turn sunk Hilary.  Had those women come forward with their stories about Trump...at THAT time, he as sunk again.   

I don't get the Trump supporters here. 

I really don't. The Republicans have shown time and time again they don't care about anyone but themselves. These are the ppl who have lied to the world since Trump has been president. Truth is not a concern to them.. Protecting their asses and growing their own bank accounts at the expense of the US taxpayer is. 

Its mind boggling how ppl with any sort of working brain could support these ppl and actually believe them when they have lied since day 1. 

Edited by Goalie

The US has been interfering in our elections for years, especially the last one, but you won't be able to proven collusion there either. So every election can be termed stolen or whatever term you prefer if you want to get technical about it. We know our PM broke the law and interfered in the justice system, doesn't matter how you got elected, that's a crime and he needs to be punished.  

9 minutes ago, pigseye said:

The US has been interfering in our elections for years, especially the last one, but you won't be able to proven collusion there either. So every election can be termed stolen or whatever term you prefer if you want to get technical about it. We know our PM broke the law and interfered in the justice system, doesn't matter how you got elected, that's a crime and he needs to be punished.  

Which law did JT break?

Also, you're conflating two separate things.  But I admire you're willingness to admit you are totally okay if Trump DID conspire with Russia to steal the election...as long as your guy won.  I assume you dont have an issue with Hilary's emails anymore, right?

11 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Oh, for cryin' out loud... This isn't even the right thread for such a post. Go post it in the appropriate place or better yet, save the conspiracy theorist baloney for another forum.

Try and stay on topic.

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

yes, good point on that one.  It is pretty rich to be sitting here in Canada spouting off critiques of the US system, when here we are sitting with this tyrannical scumbag running our country right now, totally obstructing any investigation into his own wrong-doings!  Mueller, please come up here and fix our mess next!! 

He would likely tell u Harper did it also. Oops

14 minutes ago, pigseye said:

C'mon, this has been reported everywhere before, get your heads out of the sand,

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/millions-in-foreign-funds-spent-in-2015-federal-election-to-defeat-harper-government-report-alleges

https://torontosun.com/2017/05/25/lets-get-serious-about-foreign-interference-in-canadian-elections/wcm/3836168b-7e4c-4725-ad8d-4339b83329a9

They had an investigation which found no collusion, why are you still saying there was?

PM JT probably broke two laws, conduct that provokes fear in the AG and obstruction of justice, let's hope the RCMP get to the bottom of it. 

Wrong thread.