US Politics

Rich

33 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Saw a little twitter war between Trump and Pelosi this morning:

Trump tweet: "Nancy and Cryin' Chuck can end the Shutdown in 15 minutes. At this point it has become their, and the Democrats, fault!"

Pelosi, tweeting in response: "The truth? Republicans started the #TrumpShutdown - and the Democrats are working to end it. @realDonaldTrump, it's time for you to stop standing in the way of re-opening the government. Let the Senate vote! #EndTheShutdown" (complete with the video of Trump telling Schumer that HE will shut down the Government if he doesn't get his way).

Politics in the 21st century. Robert's Rules of Order and Parliamentary procedure be damned.

One interesting tweet from a random citizen as a possible solution that showed up in this thread. The gist of it was: Democrats put up a spending bill to re-open the Government that includes the $5.7 billion for the wall, but also includes full protections for DACA once and for all, and also full protection for the Mueller investigation from any interference, allows it complete control to finish the investigation without the threat of closure or firings, and forces it to be made fully public to the American people with no editing or redactions. Would Trump sign that bill? Would the Dems write such a bill? Should they add the rider that Trump must produce his tax returns in full immediately, or submit to questioning in person from the Mueller investigation? (Too much?)

The GOP wouldnt support it and the Dems shouldn't offer up Wall money because it moves them off their "no wall" position.  Trump owns the shutdown.  He claimed it, he said he'd do it proudly.  He's pushing a stupid campaign promise that he broke anyway.  And there are bills the House passed that the Senate supported already.  Just get it done.  Its totally on Trump and the GOP.

They send their people out on the news shows to argue totally absurd facts that the public just isnt buying.  They made their best effort to win the PR war and lost.  Every day it goes on is Trump and the GOP pissing away votes in 2020.

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The GOP wouldnt support it and the Dems shouldn't offer up Wall money because it moves them off their "no wall" position.  Trump owns the shutdown.  He claimed it, he said he'd do it proudly.  He's pushing a stupid campaign promise that he broke anyway.  And there are bills the House passed that the Senate supported already.  Just get it done.  Its totally on Trump and the GOP.

They send their people out on the news shows to argue totally absurd facts that the public just isnt buying.  They made their best effort to win the PR war and lost.  Every day it goes on is Trump and the GOP pissing away votes in 2020.

Putin will be very upset.

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

How many months ago was it that the media began pushing the narrative that the public was tired of the Mueller probe and wanted it wrapped up?  I think they do that when there is a lull and THEY want it wrapped up for the newsworthiness of it.  And then time marches on, a new Trump scandal hits and the public is interested.

Certainly, the goalpost has been moved.  If this Mueller probe was released and it was a total surprise, there would likely be near riots all across the US demanding his ouster.  But the media coverage creates a sense among the public of what to expect.  How often have we said "in the past THIS scandal would be insane" and it's like the 9th scandal of the week.

But I think American's are so patriotic about their institutions and if the Mueller report is as damning as it could be, there will be a sense of resignation among many of Trump's supporters.  Not all.  The racist idiots wont care who he conspired with.  But the people, some of them here even, who say "yeah but, the economy" and other nonsense will really have little choice but to finally admit the red line was crossed.  

For everyone else, it would be a tidal wave of condemnation.  And the GOP will know the chickens have come home...it wont be about trying to win in 2020, it will be about trying to save the party from extinction.  And they will jump off the bandwagon.  And they will likely support impeachment in an effort to show a "new way forward" under Pence, who might not escape unscathed either.   

You may be overestimating the condemnation of Trump by right-wingers and his base in particular. Whatever proof is presented, they will likely shrug it off as manufactured by the FBI and the "Deep State". When left-wingers are betrayed by their political leaders, they will withdraw support or at the least, remain neutral. For right-wingers, any criticism, even when supported by vivid proof will be assumed to be an attack on themselves personally, and their support of their chosen leaders will become even more intense, even to the point of violence.

Interesting opinion piece written by Max Boot, that has some good links in it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/here-are-18-reasons-why-trump-could-be-a-russian-asset/2019/01/13/45b1b250-174f-11e9-88fe-f9f77a3bcb6c_story.html?utm_term=.52ae7fb5d4ed

Here are 18 reasons Trump could be a Russian asset

We don’t know what Mueller has learned. But we can look at the key, publicly available evidence that both supports and undercuts this explosive allegation.

Here is some of the evidence suggesting “Individual 1” could be a Russian “asset”:

-Max Boot

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump
FollowFollow @realDonaldTrump
More

Great being with the National Champion Clemson Tigers last night at the White House. Because of the Shutdown I served them massive amounts of Fast Food (I paid), over 1000 hamberders etc. Within one hour, it was all gone. Great guys and big eaters!

4:58 AM - 15 Jan 2019

3 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

For all the **** this trump embodies... he knows how to make an epic pic.

190115112015-trump-mcdonalds-exlarge-169

As read on Twitter but can't find the tweet now...

It's like when the DEA makes a big bust and they put they're haul out on the table. 

The day the Trump Administration took down the Hamburgler!

You can’t save a guy who keeps choosing to put a fork in the electrical socket, over and over again.

However, let me explain to you how this is going to end:

Only Congress, not the FBI, has the authority to launch an investigation against a president. Congress can inveigh against his foreign policy and constrain his options. It can build a case for not reelecting him and perhaps impeach him. These are all actions to be undertaken out in the open by politically accountable players, so the public can make informed judgments about them.

In the days after President Trump fired James B. Comey as F.B.I. director, law enforcement officials became so concerned by the president’s behavior that they began investigating whether he had been working on behalf of Russia against American interests, according to former law enforcement officials and others familiar with the investigation.

The Times went to note that special counsel Robert Mueller “took over the inquiry into Mr. Trump when he was appointed, days after F.B.I. officials opened it. That inquiry is part of Mr. Mueller’s broader examination of how Russian operatives interfered in the 2016 election and whether any Trump associates conspired with them. It is unclear whether Mr. Mueller is still pursuing the counterintelligence matter, and some former law enforcement officials outside the investigation have questioned whether agents overstepped in opening it.” If he and his team didn’t find any evidence that Trump was working on behalf of Russia . . . this means that the FBI just launched an investigation into the personal matters of the president of the United States in a fit of baseless paranoia.

Better hope Mueller finds something or all of Trumps paranoid ramblings about a corrupt FBI (even if false) will be confirmed in the minds of his base.

What a shitshow. 

2 minutes ago, pigseye said:

You can’t save a guy who keeps choosing to put a fork in the electrical socket, over and over again.

However, let me explain to you how this is going to end:

Only Congress, not the FBI, has the authority to launch an investigation against a president. Congress can inveigh against his foreign policy and constrain his options. It can build a case for not reelecting him and perhaps impeach him. These are all actions to be undertaken out in the open by politically accountable players, so the public can make informed judgments about them.

In the days after President Trump fired James B. Comey as F.B.I. director, law enforcement officials became so concerned by the president’s behavior that they began investigating whether he had been working on behalf of Russia against American interests, according to former law enforcement officials and others familiar with the investigation.

The Times went to note that special counsel Robert Mueller “took over the inquiry into Mr. Trump when he was appointed, days after F.B.I. officials opened it. That inquiry is part of Mr. Mueller’s broader examination of how Russian operatives interfered in the 2016 election and whether any Trump associates conspired with them. It is unclear whether Mr. Mueller is still pursuing the counterintelligence matter, and some former law enforcement officials outside the investigation have questioned whether agents overstepped in opening it.” If he and his team didn’t find any evidence that Trump was working on behalf of Russia . . . this means that the FBI just launched an investigation into the personal matters of the president of the United States in a fit of baseless paranoia.

Better hope Mueller finds something or all of Trumps paranoid ramblings about a corrupt FBI (even if false) will be confirmed in the minds of his base.

What a shitshow. 

So you came here to post about how Trump's insane rantings about the FBI are true?  Uh huh

You're also not entirely correct that only Congress can investigate the President.  Since, in your own post, the FBI was doing so.  Whether a sitting President can be indicted has never been tested.

Was it the fast food jokes about your guy that bothered you?  They're hardly the things that should trigger a defensive reply.  

And do you really think Mueller is NOT investigating Trump's ties to Russia?  Like...can you translate your post into English please?

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

So you came here to post about how Trump's insane rantings about the FBI are true?  Uh huh

I came in to celebrate the Bighill signing but couldn't resist seeing what's been going on in here.

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You're also not entirely correct that only Congress can investigate the President.  Since, in your own post, the FBI was doing so.  Whether a sitting President can be indicted has never been tested.

That's not how I see it. The FBI was too investigate 'interference' in the election, they may have overstepped their authority in launching a 'collusion' investigation against a sitting president. Only Congress can initiate that.

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Was it the fast food jokes about your guy that bothered you?  They're hardly the things that should trigger a defensive reply.  

Nothing bothers me, I don't have a care in the world, except maybe China, they are militarizing at an alarming rate and that should concern everyone. Soon they will be too rich/powerful to stop unless the rest of the world wakes up to threat they pose.

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

And do you really think Mueller is NOT investigating Trump's ties to Russia?  Like...can you translate your post into English please?

Meuller has the authority of Congress to do so, the FBI did not, that's the rub. I don't think the FBI did it intentionally, although Trumps base won't see it that way. Maybe some people believe that there’s only one form of political bias within the walls of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and they think FBI agent Peter Strzok was just being fair, even-handed and objective when he texted Lisa Page that “we’ll stop” Trump in August 2016. It’s worth noting that the FBI inspector general did not see it that way.

5 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Now I know why Trump employs her

img.fark.net

Wait, did Trump acquire the Big Macs through illegal means? He's conspiring with the Hamburgler-Sanders? Yuuge if true. 

On a serious note, I hope McDs didn't accept a personal cheque from Trump or they won't be seeing any money. 

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

Only Congress, not the FBI, has the authority to launch an investigation against a president. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

That's not how I see it. The FBI was too investigate 'interference' in the election, they may have overstepped their authority in launching a 'collusion' investigation against a sitting president. Only Congress can initiate that.

Meuller has the authority of Congress to do so, the FBI did not, that's the rub.

On what basis do you say the FBI has no authority to investigate a President, only Congress? The FBI is a police agency, and last I checked, police open criminal investigations all the time. So far, your only justification for your position is "that's not the way I see it". Cite me a passage from the Constitution, the U.S, Criminal Code, a binding case from the Supreme Court, or the FBI field manual, please. Not trying (too much) to be argumentative, seriously want to know what prevents the FBI from doing this if you know, because I don't. An FBI investigation into a person (any person) acting as an agent for a foreign power would fall under the criminal offence of treason, would it not?