US Politics

Rich

38 minutes ago, pigseye said:

If you have a problem with my posts be man enough confront them, you're name calling schtick is getting old. 

You routinely post with the intended purpose of minimizing or distracting from the main point most people are discussing.

To come here on the day of another mass shooting and link to a site that claims mass shootings are on the decline is just tone-deafness at best and malicious ignorance at worst.  At least stand by your message....say you support the NRA and see no issue with extended mags, assault rifles etc.  

Its so easy to personally attack your main man Trump but not every criticism is a personal attack.  Dont be so personally and emotionally offended when people are critical of him and his admin.  Its transparent and undermines those times when you make solid contributions to the discussion.

40 minutes ago, Mark F said:

good idea. 

Here's an interesting comment about guns in the USA. Makes sense to me.

“In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate,” Dan Hodges, a British journalist, wrote in a post on Twitter two years ago, referring to the 2012 attack that killed 20 young students at an elementary school in Connecticut. “Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over.”

That was the shooting that Trump's man Jones said was fake, done with actors.

The vile right came up with a way to ignore it.  Of course, it was vile and gross and transparent but it was enough for the gun nuts and the racists to cling to and ignore dead children.  They decided it just wasnt real.  

They are experts at this, they send thoughts & prayers while their lightening rod lunatic losers start planting the cover story and switching the narrative from gun control to "look how stupid we are, engage with us and ignore the real debate".  It works every time.  

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You routinely post with the intended purpose of minimizing or distracting from the main point most people are discussing.

To come here on the day of another mass shooting and link to a site that claims mass shootings are on the decline is just tone-deafness at best and malicious ignorance at worst.  At least stand by your message....say you support the NRA and see no issue with extended mags, assault rifles etc.  

Its so easy to personally attack your main man Trump but not every criticism is a personal attack.  Dont be so personally and emotionally offended when people are critical of him and his admin.  Its transparent and undermines those times when you make solid contributions to the discussion.

It shouldn't be hard to disprove should it? If mass shootings haven't been declining since the 1990's it should be very easy for someone to pull some stats showing otherwise. Why does that have to devolve into name calling? Point, counter-point, or has everyone lost their ability to discuss rationally around here.

Ignoring someone is no different than sticking your head in the sand, you know, like an ostrich. 

Pigseye - I ignore you and only see your drivel when people quote you. If you have a problem with me, go ahead and block me. I don't actually respond to you or care what you post. I just see others on here wasting their time with evidence and facts, trying to persuade you, and I hope they're not wasting their time or energy. 

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The vile right came up with a way to ignore it.  Of course, it was vile and gross and transparent but it was enough for the gun nuts and the racists to cling to and ignore dead children.  They decided it just wasnt real.  

They are experts at this, they send thoughts & prayers while their lightening rod lunatic losers start planting the cover story and switching the narrative from gun control to "look how stupid we are, engage with us and ignore the real debate".  It works every time.  

The USA if full of whack jobs, another mass shooting doesn't surprise anyone. But just try to take the guns away from them, you will have uprising the likes of which they haven't seen since the civil war, the blood will be flowing in the streets. The USA is so far down the rabbit hole they aren't ever coming back. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Pigseye - I ignore you and only see your drivel when people quote you. If you have a problem with me, go ahead and block me. I don't actually respond to you or care what you post. I just see others on here wasting their time with evidence and facts, trying to persuade you, and I hope they're not wasting their time or energy. 

I won't block you because I might as well stick my head in the sand them. 

Despite what you may think, I value other peoples opinions and perspectives (yes even you's) because that is how adults begin a dialogue of understanding. How do you expect unite a country when people won't even discuss things on a crappy message board? 

Well, the 1994 assault weapons ban restricted the “manufacture, transfer and possession” of certain semi-automatic weapons, as well as large capacity magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.  This included the current weapon of choice, the good ole AR15.  But there is a statute of limitations on common sense........ enough NRA "influence" and individual liberty types convinced Bush to lift it in 2004. 

2 minutes ago, pigseye said:

It shouldn't be hard to disprove should it? If mass shootings haven't been declining since the 1990's it should be very easy for someone to pull some stats showing otherwise. Why does that have to devolve into name calling? Point, counter-point, or has everyone lost their ability to discuss rationally around here.

Ignoring someone is no different than sticking your head in the sand, you know, like an ostrich. 

No and you could actually do the research but your point was merely to interject to distract from the criticism levied at your boy Trump.  Thats why you did it.  

Since the mid-2000s, the incidence of mass public shootings on a per capita basis has been a bit higher than it was in the preceding 10 years. But the rates over the past 10 years are no higher than in the late 1980s and early '90s

the growing number of high-profile mass public shootings in that era helped bring about the 1994 enactment of the federal assault weapons ban, which was allowed to expire in 2004.

Many mass-shootings = assault rifle ban = mass shootings decline = assault rifle ban expires (thanks NRA) = mass shootings rise again (a bit more complicated than your silly point)

But wait, there's more:

What has increased over time is the number of people shot in these incidents.

the severity has recently increased, reaching a 40-year high.

Mass public shootings such as the massacre perpetrated by Stephen Paddock at the Mandalay Bay hotel on the Las Vegas strip or the movie theater massacre perpetrated by James Holmes, in Aurora, Colorado, in July 2012, are currently on the rise in the U.S. An FBI study of “active shooter incidents” establishes an increasing frequency of mass public shootings 

Mass shootings also took place in 25 other wealthy nations between 1983 and 2013, but the number of mass shootings in the United States far surpasses that of any other country included in the study during the same period of time.

recent study published by the Harvard Injury Control Research Center shows that the frequency of mass shooting is increasing over time. The researchers measured the increase by calculating the time between the occurrence of mass shootings. According to the research, the days separating mass shooting occurrence went from on average 200 days during the period of 1983 to 2011 to 64 days since 2011.

What is most alarming with mass shootings is the fact that this increasing trend is moving in the opposite direction of overall intentional homicide rates in the US, which decreased by almost 50% since 1993 and in Europe where intentional homicides decreased by 40% between 2003 and 2013.

Countries with more restrictive gun licensing laws show fewer deaths by firearms and a lower gun ownership rate.

10 minutes ago, pigseye said:

The USA if full of whack jobs, another mass shooting doesn't surprise anyone. But just try to take the guns away from them, you will have uprising the likes of which they haven't seen since the civil war, the blood will be flowing in the streets. The USA is so far down the rabbit hole they aren't ever coming back. 

:rolleyes:

Whackjobs encouraged and supported by the words and deeds of your guy.

7 minutes ago, pigseye said:

I won't block you because I might as well stick my head in the sand them. 

Despite what you may think, I value other peoples opinions and perspectives (yes even you's) because that is how adults begin a dialogue of understanding. How do you expect unite a country when people won't even discuss things on a crappy message board? 

"Unite" is the latest buzz words from the dividers.  Personally, I have no desire to understand the racists and bigots.  I dont need to find common ground with people like that.  There is no compromising with those that have hate in their heart.  Seeing seemingly intelligent people so obsessed with Trump and their conservative-ness that they'd ignore all those things is frustrating but it separates those with character from those without.  So at least it serves one useful purpose.

29 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

"Unite" is the latest buzz words from the dividers.  Personally, I have no desire to understand the racists and bigots.  I dont need to find common ground with people like that.  There is no compromising with those that have hate in their heart.  Seeing seemingly intelligent people so obsessed with Trump and their conservative-ness that they'd ignore all those things is frustrating but it separates those with character from those without.  So at least it serves one useful purpose.

You do realize that this is just a message board where people toss ideas around, right? It wouldn't kill you to step out of your comfort zone for a minute, you can still despise, you can still despise racists and bigots and come up with ideas on how to rehab them, or should we just fry them all? 

37 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

No and you could actually do the research but your point was merely to interject to distract from the criticism levied at your boy Trump.  Thats why you did it.  

Many mass-shootings = assault rifle ban = mass shootings decline = assault rifle ban expires (thanks NRA) = mass shootings rise again (a bit more complicated than your silly point)

But wait, there's more:

No link, and nothing in all of that information to show that mass shootings have increased from the 80 & 90 decade highs. You know why, because they haven't. 

3 minutes ago, pigseye said:

You do realize that this is just a message board where people toss ideas around, right? It wouldn't kill you to step out of your comfort zone for a minute, you can still despise, you can still despise racists and bigots and come up with ideas on how to rehab them, or should we just fry them all? 

Nah, you can try to convince me all you want to, but I wont accept racism and bigotry.  That some people are willing to do that because they'd rather their "side" not "lose", is very sad to me.  In many cases, its not even holding their nose, it's an acceptance of the message.  If you think people should step outside their own box, I'd simply suggest you do the same.  You can't defend the indefensible.

The whole "liberal lefties are so closed minded" is just nonsense.  Being closed minded to racism isnt a bad thing.  And Im a conservative.  Racism is not a conservative ideal.

3 minutes ago, pigseye said:

No link, and nothing in all of that information to show that mass shootings have increased from the 80 & 90 decade highs. You know why, because they haven't. 

haha dude, this is a message board in Winnipeg.  Your deep pain over criticism of your boy is laughable.  And your efforts to distract and interrupt that criticism is very transparent.

You went cherry picking and in the time it took me to reply, I had counter points coming out of your ass.  If you want links, go look for them.  As I clearly stated, the issue is more complex than you tried to make it seem.  Because you dont want the trump Admin's policy on guns to reflect on your boy.  God forbid people make the connection between Russia, The NRA and your boy.....

15 minutes ago, pigseye said:

As of today there have been 307 mass shootings in the US. Thats nearly every day. At this level, does it matter what happened in the 80's or 90's? Even if the numbers are a bit lower, does that make them at all acceptable? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1928574002

26 minutes ago, Goldkobra said:

As of today there have been 307 mass shootings in the US. Thats nearly every day. At this level, does it matter what happened in the 80's or 90's? Even if the numbers are a bit lower, does that make them at all acceptable? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1928574002

Exactly.  The only reason to try and make the argument that there were more in the 90s is to dissuade the argument that the US needs gun control.  But every link i went to indicated that gun violence is getting deadlier.  There are various reports that have different parameters for "mass shooting" so you get different outcomes from the various studies.

Its also true that the news covers them differently than in the 90's.  We can have a nuanced discussion about gun violence (and we've talked about it in other threads).  But man, if you want to minimize shootings because your favorite politician is in bed with the NRA...I mean, it just doesnt get more transparent.

In the big picture, it doesnt matter.  It wont change.  It would take a titanic shift to the left in the US across the White House, Congress, States and the Supreme Court.  The NRA and their Russian puppet masters will never let that happen.

1 minute ago, bustamente said:

Trump shouldn't be worried about terrorists in the caravan, the US already has more home grown ticking time bomb terrorists than they would want to admit.

They have always been a bunch of whack jobs, it's just that instead of the country coming together over tragedies like this, they now politicized it and polarize things even more. America is one effed place right now and their adversaries couldn't be happier.   

2 minutes ago, pigseye said:

They have always been a bunch of whack jobs, it's just that instead of the country coming together over tragedies like this, they now politicized it and polarize things even more. America is one effed place right now and their adversaries couldn't be happier.   

Yes, that happens in no small part to a President who is an openly hostile, has numerous credible allegations of sexual assault & harassment, is a racist and misogynist and who seeks comfort from American's enemies while praising dictators and abusing his power.

Why anyone would support that administration is absurd.  And how people can defend it and defend the GOP while also lamenting the decline in America is laughable.