US Politics

Rich

Working in nightcubs for years, this was always my worst fear...I had flashbacks reading this, to the "cover charge girls" I worked with over that time.  Whats Trump's answer, armed bouncers?

The gunman shot a bouncer or security guard outside and forced his way into the bar, witnesses said. The gunman also shot a young woman working at the counter just inside the door, several witnesses said.
"I see that girl every single time I'm there," witness Holden Harrah told CNN, fighting back tears. "I don't know her name, but (she) is someone I make small contact with and I say hi every time."

Officers arrived on the scene 2 to 3 minutes after the initial call to law enforcement as shots continued to ring out, Dean said.

A few minutes later, Ventura County Sheriff's Sgt. Ron Helus and a California Highway Patrol officer entered the bar after hearing shots, Dean said.

As they entered through the front door, Helus was hit by multiple bullets, Dean said. The highway patrol officer stepped back, pulled Helus from the line of fire and secured his post until more officers arrived.

Just now, iHeart said:

My cousin's campus is 40 miles away from that club. 

The NRA loves this.  The only answer to mass shootings is armed security patrolling every public place and private business.  Whats Blackwater up to?  They can get a federal contract to police the public.  Trump can have his own militia, maybe call them them the Security Service (SS for short).

4 minutes ago, iHeart said:

but there was a bouncer outside the club and he was the first one shot

Should have been wearing army gear, full swat outfit and armed with an assault weapon, of course.  

I've had a few comments thrown my way over the years here, sort of making fun of being a bouncer.  But this hits home.  When someone enters a bar with mayhem in mind, those unarmed, usually under-trained bouncers are very often heroes you never hear about.

41 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The NRA loves this.  The only answer to mass shootings is armed security patrolling every public place and private business.  Whats Blackwater up to?  They can get a federal contract to police the public.  Trump can have his own militia, maybe call them them the Security Service (SS for short).

They changed it from Blackwater to Academi.

12 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I don't think legislation for gun control is the answer, there is a root issue here- but sane gun control measures are part of the solution.

I think legislation is a huge part but changing the culture is as well.  And that change is hampered by the gun nuts, the NRA and the politicians who hold up the 2nd amendment as sacrosanct.

If you create common sense legislation that restricts assault rifles, extended mags and bump stocks, you're targeting areas that are heavily exploited in these mass killings.  You should also hold people criminally responsible when their weapon is used by someone else in a crime (that will make people who are lackadaisical about storing their weapon a lot more strict and likely make someone who just has a gun laying around reconsider.

People will say, but that wont stop the nuts.  But thats part of changing the culture.  When cops respond to a domestic or mental health issue and a guy has these things today, what do they do?  Not much it seems.  But if they respond and these things are illegal or restricted, they can do more.  When it stops being the norm that everyone has guns, then when people DO have guns are suspicious or sick, it will be easier to catch that before it becomes a tragedy.

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I don't think legislation for gun control is the answer, there is a root issue here-

Probably a bunch of things.

There are many people in the US that think that violence is acceptable and sometimes necessary to get what you want.

Murdering abortion clinic staff for instance.  McVeigh is a hero in some circles.

Now with Trump and his ilk stirring the pot, it's getting worse. 

"The killer was identified as 28-year-old Ian David Long, a former machine gunner and decorated combat veteran of the war in Afghanistan who authorities said had an episode of erratic behavior last spring that they were told might be post-traumatic stress disorder."

Edited by Mark F

A number of well trafficked websites feature lots of folks fantasizing about what most of these shooters actually do.   Instead of shouting people down....the deal is now to shoot them down.   Some of these public "commentators"  and "web creators" have a lot to answer for....

Fortunately, we have the Trump Administration - to tamp down the rhetoric, heal the wounds and set a better tone.
😒

3 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Mass shootings the USA

https://www.globalresearch.ca/mass-shootings-in-america-a-historical-review/5355990

Have declined steadily since the 1990's, which remains the worst decade.

I went to that link. Here's what I found.

Mass shootings have been around for a long time in America. But public, random violence is on the rise.

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

. Just ignore. 

good idea. 

Here's an interesting comment about guns in the USA. Makes sense to me.

“In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate,” Dan Hodges, a British journalist, wrote in a post on Twitter two years ago, referring to the 2012 attack that killed 20 young students at an elementary school in Connecticut. “Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over.”

That was the shooting that Trump's man Jones said was fake, done with actors.

Edited by Mark F

31 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Mass shootings the USA

https://www.globalresearch.ca/mass-shootings-in-america-a-historical-review/5355990

Have declined steadily since the 1990's, which remains the worst decade.

So you are comparing an entire decade of mass shootings to 3 years of mass shootings and conclude that mass shootings are on the decline. 

1990- 1999

vs

2010- 2013.

Do I need to point out your lack of understanding with basic stats?