US Politics

Rich

So back to the real news (rather then get sucked into the Trump-ites scheme).

Lots of chatter on this Mueller story.  Its either a GOP plot to pay women to make up stories about Mueller (including sworn affidavits) or its a plot to make up stories about making up stores...designed to....maybe try to discredit the media?  Looks like a Trump lobbyist involved in either case.

The only thing that makes sense is to try and discredit Mueller before the mid-terms or find something to get the alt right base buzzing.  Can only imagine this gets ramped up severely between now and the election.

If the Dems take control, Trump is in big trouble.

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

So back to the real news (rather then get sucked into the Trump-ites scheme).

Lots of chatter on this Mueller story.  Its either a GOP plot to pay women to make up stories about Mueller (including sworn affidavits) or its a plot to make up stories about making up stores...designed to....maybe try to discredit the media?  Looks like a Trump lobbyist involved in either case.

The only thing that makes sense is to try and discredit Mueller before the mid-terms or find something to get the alt right base buzzing.  Can only imagine this gets ramped up severely between now and the election.

If the Dems take control, Trump is in big trouble.

Mueller is out of the news right now, obviously on Trump's initiative and to his delight. I don't understand why they would need bring it back up? 

Just now, JCon said:

Mueller is out of the news right now, obviously on Trump's initiative and to his delight. I don't understand why they would need bring it back up? 

Mueller is in a self-imposed black out period before the election (DOJ policy, which of course was ignored during the presidential election when Comey announced the re-opening of the Clinton probe).

It does seem odd Trump would bring it back to the forefront.  But if the scheme works, you've mobilized your base that this is a bad guy and you have to vote.  Maybe it cools off the Dems.  I dont know. I think Trump is so desperate, he'd do just about anything.

Dems win the house, Trump is fully investigated and the Mueller investigation has some protection.  He can be impeached.  Even with conviction in the Senate unlikely, Trump would probably pull a Nixon and quit before undergoing sworn testimony to the Senate and risk real jail time.

He's got the Supreme Court to back him but its not going to save him from a Dem-controlled House poking around.  

This scheme has the hallmarks of an alt right nut (sounds like its linked to one of those podcasting conspiracy junkies) but I bet if you dig deep enough you get to someone in Trump's orbit who is involved.  

The worst part is, we can actually believe thats possible.  What a world.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You're actually saying that media rightfully being critical of elected officials fuels hate and should stop?  The news should stop reporting on elected officials critically?

I thought maybe you were just a dug in Trump fan.  But you actually believe this stuff dont you?

Sorry I triggered the usual response: whataboutism.  lol

thank you for saying what I didn't have the patience to type out.

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

The media gave Trump his chance to win. When he was fringe candidate, they followed him everywhere  he went and reported on him uncritically. 

The Republicans seem to be out of worthwhile members to put up for office.

Sad part is the same can be said for the Dems. Trump won more because of hatred for Hillary then anything else, so if they don't come up with a better choice next time around, Trump has a good chance to repeat (and this would be a bad thing).

Kinda like why I think we will see another term for Trudeau.

3 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

Sad part is the same can be said for the Dems. Trump won more because of hatred for Hillary then anything else, so if they don't come up with a better choice next time around, Trump has a good chance to repeat (and this would be a bad thing).

Kinda like why I think we will see another term for Trudeau.

Exactly, if all you doing is trashing your opponent then people will eventually tune out. At some point, you have to better ideas/candidates or no one is going to take you serious. Hard to believe this is lost on some people, probably too young to know any better still. 

14 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Transparent and ludicrous 

What are they going to do? They'll probably apply for for asylum, as it would be nearly impossible for this large of a group to "sneak" across the border. Asylum seekers have certain protections under US law. 

What's the military going to do, on their own soil? Kind of a scary deployment. But, then, that's the point, isn't it? 

Storm-troopers. 

"Apparently now Border Patrol is free to just shoot whomever they like over the border," she says. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/10/retrial-begins-border-agent-shot-teen-border-181023141131887.html

Other than the cameras  that will hopefully be around to record this, there is not much stopping law enforcement from doing whatever they want  to people crossing from Mexico to the U.S.

Look what they've being doing to two year old children crossing the border,  under Trump's orders.

Edited by Mark F