US Politics

Rich

2 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Think you are right.

I think he cried, which is right from the GOP playbook. 

Kav cried after yelling the other day. That's less effective as a strategy but I think he was trying to impress Trump and still use the GOP playbook. It's really awkward when you're trying to live up to so many stereotypes. 

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

New York Times are starting to poke around Trumps business, finance and tax reporting.

Huge story (as in very long, very detailed). Tough to say if here are criminal elements (statute and such) but apparently fines have no statute of limitations. 

If the GOP loses the House, trump is screwed. They will be able to subpoena everything. 

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Huge story (as in very long, very detailed). Tough to say if here are criminal elements (statute and such) but apparently fines have no statute of limitations. 

If the GOP loses the House, trump is screwed. They will be able to subpoena everything. 

This does not surprise me at all...

Actually what does surprise me is why the hell did it take so long?

So much for her being "a good witness"...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/02/politics/trump-mocks-christine-blasey-ford-kavanaugh-supreme-court/index.html

When it comes to Trump it's never been about politics to me. The man is just a **** human being through and through.  His downfall (which sadly may never happen) cannot come soon enough. 

2 hours ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

So much for her being "a good witness"...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/02/politics/trump-mocks-christine-blasey-ford-kavanaugh-supreme-court/index.html

When it comes to Trump it's never been about politics to me. The man is just a **** human being through and through.  His downfall (which sadly may never happen) cannot come soon enough. 

What a despicable human being. How can anyone defend this. Gross indency. Soulless. 

He just not like the way the investigation is going.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Great Article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/why-i-wouldnt-confirm-brett-kavanaugh/571936/?utm_source=twb

To be clear, I am emphatically not saying that Kavanaugh did what Ford says he did. The evidence is not within 100 yards of adequate to convict him. But whether he did it is not the question at hand. The question at hand is how a reasonable senator should construct the evidence to guide a binary vote for or against elevation of a judge to a lifetime appointment to the highest court in the land. By my read, we have two witnesses who both profess 100 percent certainty of their position—one whose testimony is wholly credible and marginally corroborated in a number of respects, and the other whose testimony is not credible on a number of important atmospheric points surrounding the alleged event.

It’s not a tie, and it doesn’t go to the nominee.

There’s one more reason I could not vote to confirm Kavanaugh: His apparent lack of candor on the culture of drinking at Georgetown Prep and later is a problem of its own, quite apart from what it may indicate about the truth of Ford’s story. People throw around words like perjury too blithely. I won’t do so here. I will say that I do not believe he showed the sort of candor that warrants the Senate’s—or the public’s—confidence. To the extent some commentators on the right are defending Kavanaugh’s testimony as containing the sort of white lies that anyone might tell under the circumstances, let me just say that I don’t believe that Supreme Court justices get to tell self-exculpating white lies—and I don’t believe in white lies from anyone else either in sworn congressional testimony.

5 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Funny how they like to have it both ways.  "This isnt a criminal investigation."  "The evidence isnt nearly enough to convict him."  Its a job interview.  What business anywhere would hire a guy like this based on this background check?

And I agree, lets assume all the sexual assault allegations are untrue.  He's still a liar.  He's still angry and bitter.  He's still a striking partisan.  And then there are his views.  There is literally no reason to elevate him to the Supreme Court.

The GOP acts like its him or no one.  Its not.  They get a pick.  So pick a better one.

To me it now looks like his followers would arrest other people right in their own homes. they don't give a damn about who he really is and what he's like. They are revelling in hate, and primed for action.

latest Trump rally

He called Democrats who are against Kavanaugh "evil people" who want to "destroy people."

He reiterated his earlier claims Tuesday that nowadays you are "guilty until proven innocent," and stepped up his line of argument that men are under attack in America, without mentioning survivors of sexual assault.

"Think of your son. Think of your husband," Trump told the rally, noting he has had "many false allegations" against him.
He launched into a hypothetical riff about a young man who got a job at IBM or General Motors but is falsely accused of sexual assault. "What do I do, Mom? What do I do, Mom?" Trump said, role-playing a conversation between a son and mother.

"It's a damn sad situation, OK? And we better start as a country getting smart and getting tough."

Forty million cult followers ready to do whatever they're told.

Did anyone ever think America would sink so low? I didn't.

Edited by Mark F

4 hours ago, Mark F said:

To me it now looks like his followers would arrest other people right in their own homes. they don't give a damn about who he really is and what he's like. They are revelling in hate, and primed for action.

latest Trump rally

Forty million cult followers ready to do whatever they're told.

Did anyone ever think America would sink so low? I didn't.

Having spent 5 years living in the USA I'm not convinced it hasn't always been this way.  None of the recent events have surprised me much, it's just a bit more repugnant now that their great leader is trumpeting these values openly.

Dems want Kav to lose the vote because they genuinely believe he’s unfit. But Kav being confirmed is actually good for the Dems in the mid terms. It’s bad for the best 30+ years though. 

GOP....they see a win win. Either he is confirmed and they control the court. Or he’s not and they have their election rallying cry. Some republicans probably want him to lose for that reason. They know he’s unfit. They want to rush the vote and force him to be voted no. 

Thats why the new strategy is to go back to presenting him as a choir boy. Because they dont care if he loses and if he does they want the base to accept he’s a choir boy and was screwed. 

9 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Having spent 5 years living in the USA I'm not convinced it hasn't always been this way.  None of the recent events have surprised me much, it's just a bit more repugnant now that their great leader is trumpeting these values openly.

Think you are right. Its not that long since blacks were lynched. 

Edited by Mark F