US Politics

Rich

58 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Both US parties are corrupt, but the Republican party is  an oozing pustule of pestilence at this point .... 

Looking at the people they have running things, good lord. It's an absolute new low in modern history.

How the hell did an honourable accomplished man like Mueller get appointed?

Rosenstein may go down in history as one of the saviours of the republic.

That and Sessions' Russia faux pas.

22 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Rosenstein may go down in history as one of the saviours of the republic.

That and Sessions' Russia faux pas.

ah, thanks, did not realize that's who appointed Mueller. So, yah you are right.

it is disturbing that with all those people in positions of power, it comes down to one or two appointed people.

I predict that the woman alleging sexual assault will now be subjected to numerous death threats.

Recently read an interview with the judge in Manafort trial, who received death threats, and is under protection. Also names of the jurors were kept secret, since they were also receiving death threats. they seemed to have kept this as quiet as possible.

Edited by Mark F

US President Donald Trump on Monday defied warnings and escalated the trade confrontation with China, hitting the country with tariffs starting next week on another $200 billion in imports and threatening to target even more if Beijing retaliates.

Maybe Trump will crash the world economy.

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You’ve now got a victim who says she wants an FBI investigation and an accused (and Trump) refusing.  If this is a Democrat plot and has no veracity wouldn’t they want an investigation to exonerate Kavanaugh??  

Because they want to get her in a room with 11 male Republicans and "hear her out".....then proceed with rushing through Kavanaugh's confirmation.  Grassley is making no bones about this......

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You’ve now got a victim who says she wants an FBI investigation and an accused (and Trump) refusing.  If this is a Democrat plot and has no veracity wouldn’t they want an investigation to exonerate Kavanaugh??  

What really boogles the mind is that Mark Judge refuses to testify and the republicans are like... ok- we don't need your testimony under oath- we have a letter from you..."  Where is the subpoena?

Huge respect for Ford.  She's practically a patriot at this stage by refusing to give testimony to the Senate until the FBI investigates.  To the people implying she's a Democrat plant and this is all nonsense or "convenient", she's receiving death threats, has had to leave her home, leave her job etc.  This is why victims are reluctant to come forward.

Most accused want to be exonerated when they arent guilty.  Kavanaugh should be the one demanding a full investigation.  He's not.  What does that say?

Listen, Dr Ford could be batshit crazy and this could be a lie.  We dont know.  We can only judge what we do know.  That she disclosed this to a therapist years ago, to her husband years ago, to friends....thats one hell of a long game if its a set up.

If its a lie, she'd say no one else was there.  Instead, she named a witness who happened to be Kav's best friend.  What a witness!  Geeez....  Judge doesnt want to give testimony...well, one reason could be, he doesnt want to be involved.  Another reason would be, he doesnt want to support Ford and surely doesnt want to lie under oath.  If he gives testimony and then its shown he lied...he's in big trouble.

This might be unpopular, but honestly, Kav should just tell the truth, assuming he knows he did it.  Had he come forward and said "Look, I dont specifically recall this incident but I remember Ms Ford and remember spending time together or being at the same parties.  I remember many parties, and as young people we did drink a lot.  If I ever did anything that made Ms Ford feel attacked or threatened, I sincerely apologize.  I believe her 100% that she feels the way she feels and I wish I could take that pain away.  Its no excuse to say we were young and immature.  Young men should be taught that no means no and they are responsible for their actions.  In the 40 years since, there has never been a similar allegation made and I have tried to live my life in a way my family would be proud.  My record speaks for itself.  I will answer any question and cooperate with any investigation."

If he says something like that, I believe he gets confirmed.

Wow the hooker screwing serial liar, supporting a guy who is accused of attempted rape, for the highest judicial office in the Country.

The Republicans are really burning themselves down with this. 

Surely they could have found someone less repulsive than this guy, who would just as reliably do what they wanted.

A pack of oafs.

So used to not having to do anything useful, that they don't know how to do anything at all.

Looking more and more like they're done like dinner. 

Edited by Mark F

I’m guessing the statute of limitations has expired.  Thus no police investigation.  The FBI’s Position is it’s not a federal crime. They basically do background checks and will investigate when they are asked to. 

So  protocol is for the White House to request the FBI investigate. Trump and anyone else suggesting they can’t or don’t want to is false. If trump believes the allegation is false he’d instruct the FBI to investigate and exonerate Kavanaugh. 

Trump knows the score. He’s harrassed and assaulted women many times

oh and this...

Whether they get the FBI to investigate or not, or she doesn't show up on Monday in person the Republican Senators are going to ram this nomination through, nothing the Democrats can do to stop them unless some Republican Senators vote against him and even though some of them are saying the right things they will in all probability vote for confirmation, it's up to the American people to hold them accountable, but really I don't have much faith in them either look at the slime in the oval office.

25 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Whether they get the FBI to investigate or not, or she doesn't show up on Monday in person the Republican Senators are going to ram this nomination through, nothing the Democrats can do to stop them unless some Republican Senators vote against him and even though some of them are saying the right things they will in all probability vote for confirmation, it's up to the American people to hold them accountable, but really I don't have much faith in them either look at the slime in the oval office.

Closing the barn door after the horse has bolted. 

I was scanning the AM radio last night for some sports , tuned in some American stations, which at night are mostly right wing talk....

They are really ratcheting up the racism and hatred..... against blacks and Hispanics. I guess it's always been there, but, somehow, I thought we were a bit further along.

One of them was shocked and angered that millions of Americans don't speak English at home. lol.

Not that they couldn't speak English, but that they chose to speak something else at home.  

promoting racial and religious prejudices, anyone who uses that to gain money and power are without redeeming qualities.

But there's money in it.

have to take a break from their doings for a few days.

Edited by Mark F

Trump supporters. 

Christine Blasey Ford, the California psychologist who accuses Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her when they were in high school, has become the target of “vicious harassment” and death threats, her lawyers said, prompting supporters to raise money for her security.

Attorneys Debra Katz and Lisa Banks wrote in a letter to Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) on Tuesday that the threats have forced Blasey and her family to move from their home. Her email has been hacked, they added, and she’s been impersonated online.

I guess Trump will condemn this right?

4 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Trump supporters. 

"Well, I do think there's blame -- yes, I think there's blame on both sides. You look at -- you look at both sides. I think there's blame on both sides. And I have no doubt about it, and you don't have any doubt about it either. ... But you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides"

14 hours ago, Mark F said:

Trump supporters. 

Trump is patting himself on the back for his "measured response" to this.  But he let slip his true feelings by asking why the victim didnt contact the FBI when it happened.  Huh?  She was 15 and the accused was not a Judge.  You might question why she didnt tell her parents, teacher or police, but the FBI?  Trump is an idiot.  Also, we know its completely normal for victims to wait years to disclose, sometimes never.

Most people wrongly accused would be screaming from the rooftops that they want a complete and nonpartisan investigation to exonerate them.  If Ford is lying, she's playing right into Kav's hands by demanding an FBI probe (she'd be charged with lying to the FBI, a federal offense).  The fact she named the only eye witness as Kav's buddy only serves to help the accused.  

The Republican's demands for her to testify so quickly and their efforts to bring in outside counsel to grill her show that we havent evolved much.  Their intent is to turn it around on the victim.  

When Trump says Ford should come forward and then "we'll see"...I think he's exposing the results of their internal discussions.  They want her to appear before the Senate and get grilled and hopefully (to them), she is discredited.  If not...if her testimony drums up more public demand, then "we'll see" becomes "fine, let the FBI investigate..."  

Remember Trump has many sexual assault/harassment allegations against him.  His default position is, boys will be boys and women should never be believed. 

I read an article about investigation of sexual assaults in Minneapolis. 

The Star Tribune also asked 13 veteran investigators from across the country to review more than 160 of the Minnesota case files. Combined, they found that police adequately handled just one in five cases. 

A Star Tribune review of more than 1,000 sexual assault cases, filed around the state in a recent two-year period, reveals chronic errors and investigative failings by Minnesota’s largest law enforcement agencies, including those in Minneapolis and St. Paul.

In almost a quarter of the cases, records show, police never assigned an investigator.

In about one-third of them, the investigator never interviewed the victim.

In half the cases, police failed to interview potential witnesses.

No wonder women don't report these assaults. 

Every day Trump  keeps digging that hole he's in.

Edited by Mark F