US Politics

Rich

30 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I simply try to provide a balancing view to the overwhelming left bias in this thread.

I don't think hating on trump and his actions, words, scandals and lack of decorum is not a leftist thing- I would be shitting on any POTUS who acts the way trump does. besides, wasn't trump a democrat lefty before the birther thing?

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Are opposing viewpoints so scary that mine must be shut down?  I make a point, someone counters it with one of their own.  Someone else makes a point and I counter it with one of my own.  It's discussion.  Without me you'd all just be high-fiving each other about how right you are.. and what good is that?

17 hours ago, Atomic said:

Are opposing viewpoints so scary that mine must be shut down?  I make a point, someone counters it with one of their own.  Someone else makes a point and I counter it with one of my own.  It's discussion.  Without me you'd all just be high-fiving each other about how right you are.. and what good is that?

A discussion doesn’t have to include support for all positions. That’s a debate. I like a good debate. But don’t confuse it with a discussion.  What generally happens is it quickly turns focus on the word on posting rather than the issue. 

Generally trump supports don’t make nuanced arguments. They say morning matters but the economy. So it’s not a discussion.   It’s support for Trumps position that he could murder someone in Times Square and his supporters wouldn’t care. 

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

A discussion doesn’t have to include support for all positions. That’s a debate. I like a good debate. But don’t confuse it with a discussion.  What generally happens is it quickly turns focus on the word on posting rather than the issue. 

Generally trump supports don’t make nuanced arguments. They say morning matters but the economy. So it’s not a discussion.   It’s support for Trumps position that he could murder someone in Times Square and his supporters wouldn’t care. 

So because I suppprt an opposing view I'm not welcome in the discussion?

The US / North Korean summit has very quickly fallen apart.  Trump is learning, as has every recent US president, that the DPRK regime is not a bunch that's inclined to just sit down and talk things over.

I thought this summit could've resulted in an agreement -- Trump agrees to withdraw US troops from South Korea in exchange for some kind of DPRK nuclear arms control treaty. That'd be a huge win-win for Trump, with fewer US forces in harm's way plus a nuclear treaty that keeps the USA mainland safe from Kim missiles.  It would have destabilized Korea badly, though, and had huge repercussions for all of Asia, and I really have to question if the DPRK would hold to a nuclear control treaty.

9 hours ago, johnzo said:

Trump is learning, as has every recent US president, that the DPRK regime is not a bunch that's inclined to just sit down and talk things over.

Trump ( in the last few days) said he was going to use Libya as a precedent for North Korea. So did John Bolton.

Trump withdrew from the Iran agreement a few weeks ago. 

and.... it was Trump that walked away, not N. Korea.

Trump's  letter above..seems to have been written by a junior high school student.

Edited by Mark F

54 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Thats not remotely what I said.

I said I bring a different view to the discussion.  You said a discussion doesn't need all views.  To me that means my view is not welcome in the discussion but please feel free to clarify.

39 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I said I bring a different view to the discussion.  You said a discussion doesn't need all views.  To me that means my view is not welcome in the discussion but please feel free to clarify.

Actually what you said was that there was an overwhelming left bias which isnt really true.  Someone else even mentioned that being Anti-Trump isnt a left position.  He's a disgusting racist, misogynistic jerk.  You've said you dont mind those things.  My point was that there is a difference between a discussion and a debate.  I think many people here discuss Trump and US politics and while many agree, its a discussion.  If someone's stated motivation is to create a debate because they like Trump and none of the nasty, negative aspects to his presidency matter, its not really a relevant debate, in my mind.

You're free to post what you want.  Only the mods can say otherwise.  But I think my point is accurate that the rare Trump supporters dont really want to discuss, they want to deflect.  To be fair, we could just ignore you and keep discussing amongst ourselves.

to be clear, being Anti Trump is not a left bias.  To think that, shows a VERY right bias...an alt right bias in fact.  There are a lot of people right of center who are left of Trump, me included.

And also to be fair, I know there are left leaning people who post in this thread that I would disagree with about many things politically.  And Im sure I'd agree with you on many things.  But for me (and many right wing people), we dont say "thats a liberal so I have to take a counter position", if a liberal is correct, he's correct.  And whether you're far left or a right wing non-Trump supporter, if you're correct, so be it.  Just because Im right wing doesnt mean I have to share all right wing opinions and it sure doesnt mean I have to support Trump.

Anyway, thats a long winded way of saying, I agree you're entitled to your view but if you have a minority view, dont get mad when the majority disagree.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

I've never gotten mad when other don't agree with me and I'm not sure where you're getting that.

TBH, you get kind of pissy. No offense intended, you (like many of us) get your hackles up with some of the points posters make and turn it from the discussion to the person. 

I also get pretty pissy over many of the topics here, I generally type like this:

tenor.gif

Then re-read what I typed before sending.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Then re-read what I typed before sending

I find it's helpful (to me) to scrap posts before submitting. too long, short, boring, uninformative, argumentative rude. etc.

Only other forum I comment at is Saving Country Music.com. 

Sometimes something is learned from a comment thread (elsewhere) but usually there's too much vitriol to plough through to get to the useful stuff. 

I dislike the "change the subject" type of comments. this is a sure sign of someone who wishes to argue, not discuss. a variation of that is misstating something another person has written. also worthless.

Edited by Mark F