US Politics

Rich

11 hours ago, Rich said:

This guy should definitely be forced to step down for having an incorrect opinion.  That's the kind of equal rights and freedom of speech everyone is talking about when they're defending the guys not standing for the anthem right?  (this was sarcasm)

About 50% of the Americans who voted, voted for Trump.  And now you have people freaking out (in Saskatchewan!!) over someone saying he agrees with his views.  This is how unhinged the left is right now.

46 minutes ago, max power said:

This guy should definitely be forced to step down for having an incorrect opinion.  That's the kind of equal rights and freedom of speech everyone is talking about when they're defending the guys not standing for the anthem right?  (this was sarcasm)

About 50% of the Americans who voted, voted for Trump.  And now you have people freaking out (in Saskatchewan!!) over someone saying he agrees with his views.  This is how unhinged the left is right now.

I think its more that when someone seems like a White Supremacist and people come out and support that person, it rubs people the wrong way. 

You're also missing the point again.  You're sarcastically saying he should be fired.  But in doing so, you're supporting the position of Trump who wants NFL players fired for kneeling during the anthem.

This person has a right to express his opinion, even if it is unreasonable.  Which it is.   When he crosses from "players should stand" to "or be fired", his statement transitions from a valid opinion to unreasonable.  Ofcourse a player should not be fired for kneeling.  Disagreeing with such a ludicrous position is not "unhinged".  its actually pretty reasonable.

And as much right as this person has to express his opinion, those that disagree can express theirs too, no?  So why is only he side you disagree with "unhinged"?

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Yes, they can express their opinion, just as I can express my opinion that their opinion is unhinged.

We're all exercising our right to free speech, although technically I don't believe we have the same kind of right to free speech in Canada that they have in the US.

And to be fair, Trump didn't demand that every player who kneels must be fired by presidential decree.  His exact quote is:

“Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, ‘Get that son of a ***** off the field right now. Out! He’s fired. He’s fired!’”

I would agree that it's crass, and a stupid thing for the president to say. But he did get elected by saying things that are unconventional for a politician to say.  And a lot of people would agree with the sentiment behind it. And no, it doesn't have to do with racism in 99.9% of the people I'm sure, including Trump.

The biggest shame is that if the GOP would have had just a single other nominee with Trump's courage to speak about important issues, with just a little bit more tact and actual integrity to follow through on his promises, that person would probably be president.  Well they had Ted Cruz. He would have been great. And the attacks on him from the left would have been just as vicious, but not nearly as deserved.

18 minutes ago, max power said:

Yes, they can express their opinion, just as I can express my opinion that their opinion is unhinged.

We're all exercising our right to free speech, although technically I don't believe we have the same kind of right to free speech in Canada that they have in the US.

And to be fair, Trump didn't demand that every player who kneels must be fired by presidential decree.  His exact quote is:

“Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, ‘Get that son of a ***** off the field right now. Out! He’s fired. He’s fired!’”

I would agree that it's crass, and a stupid thing for the president to say. But he did get elected by saying things that are unconventional for a politician to say.  And a lot of people would agree with the sentiment behind it. And no, it doesn't have to do with racism in 99.9% of the people I'm sure, including Trump.

The biggest shame is that if the GOP would have had just a single other nominee with Trump's courage to speak about important issues, with just a little bit more tact and actual integrity to follow through on his promises, that person would probably be president.  Well they had Ted Cruz. He would have been great. And the attacks on him from the left would have been just as vicious, but not nearly as deserved.

it doesnt have to do with racism in 99% of people?  I'd take those odds, especially concerning Trump. 

You certainly have the right to call people expressing an opposing opinion "unhinged" but you undermine your own argument by doing so. 

this is a pretty good article... as usual, Trump's comments were not about football, maybe not about racism, and certainly not about politics... it was just another move to massage his ego... (the article is not really about Kaepernick so don't let the title prevent you from clicking)

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/25/colin-kaepernick-donald-trump-nfl-anthem-protests-teresa-kaepernick

3 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Aaaaand the obligatory:

giphy.gif

What team do they play for? Are they world ranked? I remember more than a few of my buddies looking like that around 5 in the morning when we played some all night bonspiels back in the day.

One night in particular, the little brother of a very famous local curler decided after having  waaay too much to drink that he'd go out on the ice nude &throw a rock. Only problem, the guys stole his clothes. Except for his curling shoes he was totally buck naked standing in the hack whining for his clothes back. Holy ****,  I couldn't believe it.  Miss those days. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, bearpants said:

this is a pretty good article... as usual, Trump's comments were not about football, maybe not about racism, and certainly not about politics... it was just another move to massage his ego... (the article is not really about Kaepernick so don't let the title prevent you from clicking)

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/25/colin-kaepernick-donald-trump-nfl-anthem-protests-teresa-kaepernick

Good Article- thanks for the read.

This notion always gets me- cuz I know it's about Trump the narcissist, but I keep forgetting that and always thinking of the Office... 

Trump is not just on the opposite side of a fight with NFL players and the Golden State Warriors. He is in a different fight completely. They want a frank discussion on race. He wants attention. They want unity. He wants adulation.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Greg Popovich coach of Spurs, one of the best things I've read on this. short and sweet

http://www.theroot.com/we-still-have-no-clue-of-what-being-born-white-means-1818770700
"

Obviously, race is the elephant in the room, and we all understand that, but unless it is talked about constantly, it is not going to get better," Popovich said. "People get bored. 'Oh, is it that again. He's pulling the race card again. Why do we have to talk about that?' Well, because it's uncomfortable and there has to be an uncomfortable element in the discourse for anything to change.

glad people are standing up to the scum bag.

sad that he's diverting attention from Houston, Florida, Puerto Rico.

Seeing NFL fans burning their tickets and merchandise...man, how can so many people be so stupid?  Certainly within their rights, but how about donating them instead?

Anyway, the Pens and Crosby are taking heat.  I dont care that much.  I'd respect them MORE if they declined to go to the White House.  But I dont really respect them less for going.  However, the Pens putting out their announcement when they did, was absolutely an endorsement.  And if they didnt want it to be read that way, they should not have released it when they did.  It was either a calculated statement on the issue or very stupid.

1 minute ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Trump was elected, nuff said.

Well yes...with 3 million less votes.  And now you see stories, not quite mainstream yet, of hints that actual voting results might have been altered through hacks.  If that is ever proven, the US has a constitutional crises on its hands.  There is no mechanism for a do-over.

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Trump was elected, nuff said.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Well yes...with 3 million less votes.  And now you see stories, not quite mainstream yet, of hints that actual voting results might have been altered through hacks.  If that is ever proven, the US has a constitutional crises on its hands.  There is no mechanism for a do-over.

You're right, I should have said: "People voted for Trump". 

62,979,636 people in fact... that is a shite-tonne of stupid.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

31 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It is extremely simple to hack some of the voting computers.  Diebold voting software used to be proprietary, no paper trail, technicians changing software;  votes flipping from one candidate to the other right in front of the voter. :lol:

I think quite a few states have moved away from them, but I stopped paying attention cause I don't give a crap what happens down there anymore, (other than what country they bomb to rubble, and what they do to us with their crazy trump trade ideas).

USA has jumped the shark.

3 minutes ago, Mark F said:

It is extremely simple to hack some of the voting computers.  Diebold voting software used to be proprietary, no paper trail, technicians changing software;  votes flipping from one candidate to the other right in front of the voter. :lol:

I think quite a few states have moved away from them, but I stopped paying attention cause I don't give a crap what happens down there anymore, (other than what country they bomb to rubble, and what they do to us with their crazy trump trade ideas).

USA has jumped the shark.

I dont have the story in front of me.  But I know it was a mainstream story that election officials were told something about "most" numbers were not hacked.  Which implies some were.  There were some non mainstream stories about this and the idea that they might be investigating whether some of the actual votes were altered.

Supposedly some areas where Trump won when it was a surprise, he won by just enough to not trigger a hand re-count.

Im generally of the opinion, like Clinton stated at the time, not to risk sour grapes.  You lose, you lose.

BUT...the two big issues are, did anyone from Trump's team conspire with Russians to influence the election and/or were any real voting totals altered.  If it's the former, you're likely looking at jail time, impeachment etc.

But imagine its the latter.  If they ever proved that actual numbers were changed and Trump might not have won...what would they do?

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

.what would they do?

Gore walked, when Bush lost Florida. Then they ran around blaming Ralph Nader for their loss.

This time.... Bernie.  :lol:

Everyone's fault but their own.  Clinton still can't accept any responsibility. :lol:

They don't "do" self examination.

The Democrats are spineless. They always do the easy thing. They would "take the high road".

They probably think they'll be back in the driver's seat soon enough, anyway.

Greg Palast covers electronic voting fraud, or at least he used to.

Edited by Mark F

10 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Gore walked, when Bush lost Florida. Then they ran around blaming Ralph Nader for their loss.

This time.... Bernie.  :lol:

Everyone's fault but their own.  Clinton still can't accept any responsibility. :lol:

They don't "do" self examination.

The Democrats are spineless. They always do the easy thing. They would "take the high road".

They probably think they'll be back in the driver's seat soon enough, anyway.

Im not sure what you're talking about it.  Sure, blah blah Dems suck blah blah Reps suck.

I mean, what would the government do if they have proof that Trump didn't win (or that it was too close to call)?   What's the mechanism for dealing with that?

5 hours ago, Mark F said:

Palast does most of his investigation on voter suppression now, but "The Best Democracy Money Can Buy" was an amazing and depressing read.  Voter suppression is a huge problem in the States already and Kris Kobach and Trump are trying to make it even worse.   http://www.gregpalast.com/trump-picks-al-capone-vote-rigging-investigate-federal-voter-fraud/