MOS Bringing the gang all back

rebusrankin

19 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Lawless had mentioned during the season that before Greg Knox had left they were trying to groom him to be next DC and that he was going to be installing some pressure packages during the year. Maybe MOS looks at some that fits that role better than Hall.

He took a CIS HC gig, correct?

16 hours ago, Goalie said:

Wonder if Kyle Knox would be a MLB option.  Beast on Special Teams 

I actually thought Knox was going to come in once Bass went down... a little disappointed to see Hurl in there but I guess he was more familiar with the defense (2nd half gameplan - tackle no one!) and has more game experience...

Bass had 4 tackles before he left in the 4 th quarter. Hurl had 2 tackles and probably one of the best tackles of the night on Jeremiah Johnson, where he stood him right up and held him to a 4 yard gain. 

We can't keep picking on Hurl because of what was Etch's defence. He's a handy player to have around in case of injury. Not a MLB starter, but useful.

21 hours ago, Goalie said:

I think they are... I'm just not sure if they were used to the best of their ability at times. 

Example: First half vs BC... pressure and getting sacks 

2nd half: not so much. 

Is it the players who got it done in the first half or the way they were used in the second half. 

BC started adjusting, more run and short passes, we didn't have an answer.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Take this for what it's worth, but Steve Morley saying on Twitter that Jim Barker has been in touch with MOS already (tampering, be damned...)

Oh Lord, say it's true. I know some of you love the guy but not all of us do. I would be extremely happy to see MOS leave town post haste. Toronto would be perfect although poor Drew would probably have nightmares and a nervous breakdown. ^_^

2 hours ago, pigseye said:

There is a 97% consensus that MOS will be the HC in TO next year.  

Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants if O'Shea jumped ship just when things started to turn around, especially after Walters supported him through two rough years of growing pains.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

I fully expect Osh back, and his whole staff.

And I am totally fine with that. First time in a long time where I think we are building something really special here. 

Hate on LaPo and Hall or whoever all you want, but again these were probably the best offense and defense we've seen in years. 

30 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

I fully expect Osh back, and his whole staff.

And I am totally fine with that. First time in a long time where I think we are building something really special here. 

Hate on LaPo and Hall or whoever all you want, but again these were probably the best offense and defense we've seen in years. 

There is a significant difference between "best we've seen in years" and "good enough".

6 hours ago, J5V said:

Oh Lord, say it's true. I know some of you love the guy but not all of us do. I would be extremely happy to see MOS leave town post haste. Toronto would be perfect although poor Drew would probably have nightmares and a nervous breakdown. ^_^

So. Serious question for the ppl who want Mike gone (not sure why I'm even asking as I probably won't get an answer to this) but what do we do once he is gone? It's easy to say fire a guy or hope he leaves but then what. Who's available to bring in? Just as an example Mike goes to TO and we get Scott. Ok great. New HC, new OC, new DC, new QB, new,new,new. We start over from scratch. Another 2-3 yr rebuild and nothing to show for it. And what does it do for the players? The guys in he room clearly like the coach and he players they are with. There is several comments from them they all like it and want to come back. So now you get a new HC and the players say F this and want to bolt likely to TO. So all are good players we want to retain are now gone. If you haven't noticed changing your HC every 2-3 years doesn't work. And when it does its few and far between. And on an extreme case what if a guy like Jones comes in and axes the entire roster. Is that really what we need or want? How about another season with a good draft some more FAs and a system the players are now used to. Sure make some minor changes in staff maybe Hall out but that would be the extent of it. So once again I ask. What's the solution after getting rid of Mike?

First, I'm in favour of bringing back O'Shea.

For a lot of what your write, don't think it really applies.  A new coach wouldn't necessarily be a complete rebuild like we've seen, especially if Walters stays.  A lot of good players in place, under contract.  It would be more tweaking for what the new coach wants, not a complete tear down and rebuild.

Some players may bolt for sure.  It doesn't mean whoever is hired is a blackhole no one wants to play for.

If Mike O'Shea did leave on his own accord to say, Toronto (if there was a head coaching opportunity there) then it's his decision to go. No one asked him to leave, he would have been offered a contract but turned it down. If he wants to go then he'll go. If he wants to stay then he'll stay. The Bombers will offer him a contract.

If he left, I believe that there's no way Walters will bring in a head coach who'll tear everything down. This team is on the way up & hasn't reached its potential yet, Toronto is on the way down. I think it would be difficult for O'Shea to leave a job unfinished in Winnipeg so I think he'll be back.

Regardless of the 29+ take away stat, our defense this year was one of the worst in the CFL. I don't have the stats to back this up but I would suggest other than that stat they are at the bottom or near the bottom in every other categorical stat that is kept. If that is considered a good defense then I guess I am watching the wrong sport. Similarly with the offense....I would think we were middle to below middle in most categories once again. While that isn't as bad as the defense it nonetheless needs much improvement if we are to grab the golden grail!!!!

On the offensive note however, I was very pleased to see us throw the ball downfield 7 times (more than 15 yards) last game. It really seemed to open up other options until Lapo decided to go away from the run etc. Just don't understand how you deviate from things that work for you to return to things that don't work IE short rinkie dink passing game. He will never learn just as Hall will never change his defensive schemes. Oh well let's see what happens next year. I think we will learn a lot as soon as we find out if Oshea is rehired, which I believe he should be and I can't believe I'm saying that! However he must get rid of this stubbornness streak he has; think a little more about crucial decisions he makes and hold coordinators responsible with the wet the bed as both did this past game. We could have won had our defense stopped BC once in the last 4 possession but didn't; and if our offense would have kept the peddle to the metal instead of going all conservative after the mid way point of the 3rd quarter. AND if MOS would have recognized these things and demanded changes, never mind the bonehead call with 36 secs remaining.

If these things are cleared up we have a good chance to host a playoff game next year and maybe get to the cup; if not we will reside in 3rd or 4th place with perhaps a chance for a crossover for playoffs. You heard it first here. Here's hoping I'm wrong

9 hours ago, Captain Blue said:

How big is this difference? It was good enough to scare the hell out of Calgary and beat the rest of the top teams in the league. 

In this case, the team lost two fo the last three games, and the two they lost were critical. One of the games, if won would have given the Bombers a home playoff game and the other would have allowed the team to advance to the western final. Both were winnable (in my opinion) but the current edition was just not good enough. Are we going to be content with "almosts"?