(My) Final opinion on 2016

Dragon37

So the Bombers are finished for another year. Sad yes but I was certain that they wouldn't be in this position when the year started. Yeah they had some good players but they never seemed to get their act together. 

Well, they made me eat crow and I honestly could not be happier of that. Yeah it would have been great to go further but I thought we were just a few pieces short to do so. Surprisingly I was okay with that because this team showed me they are for real and it has been a very long, long time since I have gone into the off-season very optimistic that they ARE a few pieces away. Not even 2011 left me with that feeling.

So I could whine and ***** about today but I would much rather enjoy the huge steps forward this team took. That has been a hard thing to obtain for the Bombers. I can easily wait a bit more because there is now light at the end of the tunnel when I thought we hadn't even entered it yet.

Thanks to all the 2016 Bombers you brought a lot pride and honour back to this franchise and community.

Best record in 13 years. Played some great football after a 1-4 start. I'm not disappointed with this season. But we need to grow next season and take the next step. Simply getting to the playoffs won't be good enough. We controlled our own destiny late in the season ( for a home playoff game) and lead for almost sixty minutes but we didn't pull through. It's how we rebound and get better next year which is the true test. If we regress then it's a failure but I'm a half glass full kind of guy and we made huge strives in bringing stability and giving the fans an honest effort day in and day out. Good season overall even after a tough defeat. I'll tell you guys this.. I'm looking forward to the next season a lot more then I was at this point last year.. So that has to count for something!

Great season considering how we started and where we ended up, Bombers need to fill some holes ie deep threat receiver , elite pass rusher to complement Westerman and a MLB , Bass is a good player but not in the middle offer Nichols a good contract but don't break the bank, draft the best o lineman available with the second pick. Overall not the ending i hoped for but very happy with the year.

3 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Great season considering how we started and where we ended up, Bombers need to fill some holes ie deep threat receiver , elite pass rusher to complement Westerman and a MLB , Bass is a good player but not in the middle offer Nichols a good contract but don't break the bank, draft the best o lineman available with the second pick. Overall not the ending i hoped for but very happy with the year.

1st overall pick. 2nd pick probably gonna be 6th or 5th overall 

If the Bombers had missed the playoffs I would have burned this team out of my mind. Instead they make it to playoffs and I'm back to being a fan.

However...we need a better QB, tall receivers, tall db's who don't leave a receiver open and a HC who wont attempt 61 yard fg's in a dome.

I think Nichols has shown that he's good enough. Do I want to Hand him the number 1 job? No. But... today Nichols had a great game and if our D stepped up instead of getting out of the way... matt Nichols would be off to the western final 

I don't think Nichols is a big concern. 

In terms of what we are lacking?  

A true legit MLB.... a guy that can stretch the field altho dressler is good at that he needs some help.  I think we need a DE opposite Westerman and I'm going to say it... let Shologan go and let Jake Thomas play more... all he does is make plays. 

Our Dbs are great... our front 7 needs some help and I get crapping on MOS is tge thing to do after losses but getting rid of him would be a massive step backwards

Welcome to the Cfl where dbs are shorter because all the tall ones who are good are in the nfl... you know who was a tall dB?  Onyenegecha... who is now greeting ppl as they enter Walmart. 

Being Tall doesn't mean you are good. Give me Randle Frederick Fogg and Heath every day. 

Fogg was a huge loss... more so because of his punt return ability.McDuffie was awful 

Edited by Goalie

Love this team, stoked for the future. Can't wait for MOS and Walters extensions soon and 1st overall pick in 2017. Next year is going to be fantastic. Orlando Steinauer is a FA and is one of MOS best friends. If we can upgrade there, it goes a long way. Already excited for next year. 

Yup we're a D coord, MLB and deep threat away from true greatness.  Maybe Gurley steps it up big with a training camp in the system.

Matt Nichols almost 400 yards, 2 td's, no turnovers and still some are saying he's a bum...  the issue was definitely late game D today.  Prevent scheme plus Wild left looking for his cleats every other run play was not fun to watch at all!

An absolutely devastating loss to anyone even remotely emotionally invested in this franchise. I honestly believed in this team and thought they were maybe one play away from doing enough to win.

The kick was a mistake that I assume would not happen again. I am not going to pile on the coach and the team because the reality is I don't know more than those running a CFL franchise. So many people on here clamoring for Ryan Smith to not dress but what a mistake that would have been on this day.

I find it weird to thank a franchise that gives me so much pain, but that was really a fun season. 

6 hours ago, do or die said:

What happened?    Wild and Bass looked like pure junk in that one...

I know Mike mentioned this previously... but I wonder if we can find a legit MLB and move Bass back to WIL (where he dominated last year)... I hate to say this (cuz I pretty much love everything about the guy) but we might not have a need for Wild going forward...

I really can't feel bad about the team this year. Like everybody else I was hoping for a win but still it was a great year. Now that we have a good team it would be nice to have good assistant coaches to match. It's pretty hard to intercept a ball when you have given the guy a 10 yard cushion. 

21 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I know Mike mentioned this previously... but I wonder if we can find a legit MLB and move Bass back to WIL (where he dominated last year)... I hate to say this (cuz I pretty much love everything about the guy) but we might not have a need for Wild going forward...

Heaven forbid I suggest we cut ties with Wild around these parts. ;)

I'm a big Ian Wild guy, but his "heart and soul" doesn't make up for the fact that he whiffed second level tackles in the back half of this season like he had contract incentives for doing so. I don't know if it was injury and maybe it was, but I have no doubt that Burnett outplayed Wild down the stretch.

34 minutes ago, Mike said:

Heaven forbid I suggest we cut ties with Wild around these parts. ;)

I'm a big Ian Wild guy, but his "heart and soul" doesn't make up for the fact that he whiffed second level tackles in the back half of this season like he had contract incentives for doing so. I don't know if it was injury and maybe it was, but I have no doubt that Burnett outplayed Wild down the stretch.

You definitely were the only one talking blasphemy earlier in the season about Wild and him being replaced. 

That was one hell of a football game. Our offence was spot on. Special teams, defensively, was spot on. We took their starting receivers out of that game...in more than one way. Our penalties were minimal. I'd say the only reason we lost that game, never mind calls or dropped balls, was poor tackling. It killed us. The guys were there in position and lost the yardage battle. But I tell you what, after that game, I feel like we can compete with anybody.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

That was one hell of a football game. Our offence was spot on. Special teams, defensively, was spot on. We took their starting receivers out of that game...in more than one way. Our penalties were minimal. I'd say the only reason we lost that game, never mind calls or dropped balls, was poor tackling. It killed us. The guys were there in position and lost the yardage battle. But I tell you what, after that game, I feel like we can compete with anybody.

This is how I feel too. They really built a solid foundation this year and with some good offseason moves can only strengthen it. I'd like to see them be more aggressive in their play calling but that's something I've been saying since they hired the coordinators they did. I like the OL they've got now, they gave Nichols tons of time and Harris lots of room, the DL has some good pieces and just needs to be more consistent, DB remains a strength, linebackers I think are better than they showed in that game and we have a decent number of options at receiver. Upwards and onwards next year.

My thoughts....

1. Its going to be tough to fire the DC for a team that won the turnover stat and did it quite handily. 
  2. How can Walters keep this team together?  There will be a few raises required this off season.   It's going to take a sharp pencil. 
  3. Have we found our #1 QB for the next few years?  I believe we have but as always we still need to look hard and far for the next one.
  4. When will Miller announce that Walters has signed an extension and how long after that will O'Shea's extension be announced?
  5. I don't think Lapo is seriously considered for any HC openings this off season.  I think it's well known that he can be a great OC but an average at best HC.
  6. Do we trade one of our 1st round pics? I think there's a good chance we do.
  7. And finally...why does Jim Bender hate the Bombers? Did Miller sleep with his wife?  This guys an ass clown on Twitter after during and after games.