Is lapolice the weak link in our offense?

wbbfan

Would you fire paul lapolice?   

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should we bring in a new OC next year?

• Yes
    • no

A few times this year plop has been applauded for good game plans. On here, and in the media. Over all though, many seem to be critical of him. (my self included)

Throwing it out now as post season success or lack of would dramatically skew the results. 

Offensive stats. 

2nd fewest turn overs.

3rd fewest sacks allowed.

8th for time of possession.

5th in rush yards. 

3 way tie for 4th in rushing tds. 

8th in passing tds. 

6th in passing yards (only none play off teams below us)

4th in points scored. Including Fgs, xpts, points scored by the D.

Success of the smith package, wr sweep/reverse. 

Smith 5 carries for 5 yards. Darvin adams, 1 carry 1 yard. dressler 5 carries 45 yards (20 on one) kohlert 1 carry -1 yard. Mcduffie 3- 17 yards. 

DI useage. Mcduffie had 6 games with 0 catches. 1 game he had 153 1 td out of 241 for 1 td for the year.

Flanders started 3 games and was DI'd 4 times. In those 4 games he got 4 runs and 1 catch. 

Harris played great but only reached or passed 20 carries in a game once. He wasnt used heavily in bc as a runner but still had a down year in terms of tds avg etc. But the OL to start the year was brutal. An offence like ours should have used him much more though. We shouldnt go quarters and halves of games with out him involved. 

We brought in gurley, but made very little use of him. No end zone fades.

We saw strong success with nichols on the roll when teams were aggressive, but then would go away from it. Shot gun plays in the red zone, Not making good use of play action, screens shovel pass, fades etc in the red zone. 2nd and short draw plays. We also lacked diversity in our run plays. Despite harris doing very well on off tackle runs stretches etc. 

Does making the play offs and early season qb/ol changes buy him another year?

37 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

You have to realize that the only way LaPo goes anywhere is that if he's hired as a HC somewhere. Otherwise, he's here for awhile. They are aboslutely not going to have yet another OC come in if they don't have to...

Really? Even if we can get a definite upgrade?

59 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

A few times this year plop has been applauded for good game plans. On here, and in the media. Over all though, many seem to be critical of him. (my self included)

Throwing it out now as post season success or lack of would dramatically skew the results. 

Offensive stats. 

2nd fewest turn overs.

3rd fewest sacks allowed.

8th for time of possession.

5th in rush yards. 

3 way tie for 4th in rushing tds. 

8th in passing tds. 

6th in passing yards (only none play off teams below us)

4th in points scored. Including Fgs, xpts, points scored by the D.

Success of the smith package, wr sweep/reverse. 

Smith 5 carries for 5 yards. Darvin adams, 1 carry 1 yard. dressler 5 carries 45 yards (20 on one) kohlert 1 carry -1 yard. Mcduffie 3- 17 yards. 

DI useage. Mcduffie had 6 games with 0 catches. 1 game he had 153 1 td out of 241 for 1 td for the year.

Flanders started 3 games and was DI'd 4 times. In those 4 games he got 4 runs and 1 catch. 

Harris played great but only reached or passed 20 carries in a game once. He wasnt used heavily in bc as a runner but still had a down year in terms of tds avg etc. But the OL to start the year was brutal. An offence like ours should have used him much more though. We shouldnt go quarters and halves of games with out him involved. 

We brought in gurley, but made very little use of him. No end zone fades.

We saw strong success with nichols on the roll when teams were aggressive, but then would go away from it. Shot gun plays in the red zone, Not making good use of play action, screens shovel pass, fades etc in the red zone. 2nd and short draw plays. We also lacked diversity in our run plays. Despite harris doing very well on off tackle runs stretches etc. 

Does making the play offs and early season qb/ol changes buy him another year?

OMG! Those stats are abysmal. I knew it was bad but I had no idea it was that bad. I can't help but wonder if any other OC in the league has worst stats. 

I voted to replace LaPolice, but there is a caveat. I don't know if there is or will be a better option out there, so we may be stuck no matter what we want. Secondly, there is good evidence that Nichols is much more effective in a dink-and-dunk offense than a bombs-away one. We really do not know how the team would have looked with a QB who has an arm like Burris or Jennings, and therefore the offensive numbers may not represent LaPolice's best.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Well then I hope someone hires him to be HC. 

It could play out like this: 

1) LaPolice gets a HC gig somewhere, and that's entirely possible.

2) Milanovich walks the plank for the Boatmen.

3) O'Shea hires his good buddy Scott Milanovich as our new OC.

Now we're talking...

Sorry to say this but I said when they hired him that he is not what Bomber fans want or need. Yes we made the playoffs but can you honestly say we did that because of the offense???? Look at the stats. Unfortunately he has learned little from his stint with TSN and his supposed trips south to pick the brains of OC's down there. BUT we are in the playoffs soon to be dispatched after the BC game and will do it all again next year with the same coaching staff. 

My apologies if I offend anyone but it is what it is. We need a new thinker for an OC not a retread and certainly not any of the current assistant coaches. Where and who I simply don't know but it is a change we need. If you look around we are using retreads as coaches where other teams are using retired players with a perchance to coach. Look at Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto. While some flourish and other flounder they are not as bad or at least the same as we are. 

3 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

It could play out like this: 

1) LaPolice gets a HC gig somewhere, and that's entirely possible.

2) Milanovich walks the plank for the Boatmen.

3) O'Shea hires his good buddy Scott Milanovich as our new OC.

Now we're talking...

Then Lapo brings Hall with him... and Thorpe leave the Als and joins O'Shea

His play calling can be frustrating at times, but really who do you guys want? People are begging for Milanovich. You really want the guy who just convinced his GM to give up an arm and a leg for our horrible Quarterback?

No OC in the league did more with less than Lapo did this year. We were winning games with Matt Nichols at QB and no talent at receiver aside from Clarence Denmark. Ending up at 11-7 this year, after being handcuffed with Willy followed by our rash of injuries is actually an outstanding accomplishment. 

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

I don't think Lapo is any kind of world beater as OC, but I really fear the constant changing of schemes...we have swapped out so many OCs over the last decade.

I agree. I think Nichols runs LaPo's offense to a tee. He understands it & it suits his talents as a qb. It's not pretty because our Canadian receivers aren't good enough. If we upgrade at Boundary Receiver & get rid of Kohlert replacing him with someone who can actually produce we'd be 15-20% better production wise on offense. He shouldn't be replaced unless he leaves himself.

When I saw this thread title I thought it was a joke. Honestly, many on this board expect the offense to score 40 every week and the defense to give up 10 points or less. Now if we had a qb named Dunigan, Brock or Clements maybe we could score 40, but we don't. 

If we give up the continuity that we have in the offseason and cut ties with LaPolice, it is just as likely that we will regress next season. We are not perfect, and yes I have been frustrated at times with O Shea/ LaPolice (mostly with their loyalty to a quarterback), but we are building in the right direction here and even if we lose on Sunday I will consider 2016 a success in a very good western division. Go Blue!

Edited by blueingreenland

19 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Lapo the problem? Sheesh....that's some kinda crazy. Does no one remember how pedestrian Nichols looked last year and how hopelessly awful our offence was the last 2-3 years? Our offence is infinitely better this year. It still has a way to go, but quite frankly that's more a personnel issue than a coaching issue.

It's also everyone's first year in this system. While I think things could be better, I'm willing to give them a break due to it being new. Next year at this time I'm hoping (assuming Lapo isn't a HC somewhere) things will be better than they are now.

Saying that I still think our O is better than what the stats say. For the most part they've been able to put drives together when they needed to be. Big plays, solid runs, long drives etc. The bombers have gotten it done in almost every way you could want all year long.

I'm no Vanilla PLAP fan, but you have to admit that he's way better than our last few OC's. The consistency argument, when we are winning, actually makes sense. I think we'll have the same coaching staff next year unless PLAP gets a HC gig and I don't see that happening.

29 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm no Vanilla PLAP fan, but you have to admit that he's way better than our last few OC's. The consistency argument, when we are winning, actually makes sense. I think we'll have the same coaching staff next year unless PLAP gets a HC gig and I don't see that happening.

a slap in the face is better than a kick in the balls, that's no great bar you've set there. 

I think Lapo has a good mind for football for sure, the problem is and always has been that he's too passive and plays not to lose rather than plays to win. Works great when the defense is turning the ball over at a crazy rate but we've all seen what happens when they don't generate that many turn overs. It ain't pretty.