NHL Injury Watch 2016/17 season

iHeart

11 hours ago, Goalie said:

So you want to protect him in the expansion draft eventho there's a probably good chance he's done as a nhl player? 

If the jets are willing to buy him out then leave him exposed. Of Vegas takes him then they did the jets a favour. 

If he has a carer threatening injury though, they can ask the Nhl to declare him exempt. 

Sounds fishy though. He was skating and on the road trip and about to play then left the team for a personal reason and suddenly his injury flared up?  

I asked Ken wiebe about it in a DM on twitter. Here's his response 

Good evening 

I don't know the family issue but I assume it's serious.

Secondly, while I agree it's taking a long time to recover, I don't see this as a cover up.

Hip surgery Myers had was serious and I don't have a hard time envisioning a scenario where a player overcompensates for his hip and hurts or tears his groin.

Jets have been a bit too secretive for my liking but when Maurice finally relented to my questions and said it was a soft-tissue issue, I immediately thought it was his groin - though I'm not a doctor and I don't have confirmation.

I will continue to press for information on injury but my understanding is that it's not career threatening, though it is progressing slower than the Jets and probably Myers anticipated.

Something that seems to be overblown in my opinion is the brief skate he took in Tampa. 

I was there and this was not a strenuous workout, he was on the ice and not doing much other than seeing how injury would respond, he did no drills and was working with jets strength coach.

So those who interpreted that as him being close to a return were not close to accurate, he would have needed a week or two of conditioning barring any setbacks and obviously he had one, since Maurice said today the healing of the injury is not progressing.

Will continue to monitor the situation and when I get more info, I will obviously share that info.

Enjoy your weekend.

On 2/4/2017 at 3:08 PM, Goalie said:

I asked Ken wiebe about it in a DM on twitter. Here's his response 

Good evening 

I don't know the family issue but I assume it's serious.

Secondly, while I agree it's taking a long time to recover, I don't see this as a cover up.

Hip surgery Myers had was serious and I don't have a hard time envisioning a scenario where a player overcompensates for his hip and hurts or tears his groin.

Jets have been a bit too secretive for my liking but when Maurice finally relented to my questions and said it was a soft-tissue issue, I immediately thought it was his groin - though I'm not a doctor and I don't have confirmation.

I will continue to press for information on injury but my understanding is that it's not career threatening, though it is progressing slower than the Jets and probably Myers anticipated.

Something that seems to be overblown in my opinion is the brief skate he took in Tampa. 

I was there and this was not a strenuous workout, he was on the ice and not doing much other than seeing how injury would respond, he did no drills and was working with jets strength coach.

So those who interpreted that as him being close to a return were not close to accurate, he would have needed a week or two of conditioning barring any setbacks and obviously he had one, since Maurice said today the healing of the injury is not progressing.

Will continue to monitor the situation and when I get more info, I will obviously share that info.

Enjoy your weekend.

Almost every time I've tweeted at Wiebe he's responded in a DM just like that.  Good guy.

18 minutes ago, Atomic said:

It only applies to "career threatening" injuries, which this never was... so really it never applied here.

Sitting out an entire season is not career threatening...?  I could see Chevy getting an exemption from the league.  Or just leaving Myers unprotected anyway...

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Sitting out an entire season is not career threatening...?  I could see Chevy getting an exemption from the league.  Or just leaving Myers unprotected anyway...

He's scheduled back in 6-8 weeks.

Career-threatening is "Not sure your brain can survive another hit, not sure you'll ever skate again, etc."

34 minutes ago, Floyd said:

And Vegas will promptly take him.

High cap hit, which will help them and low wage. Win-win for Vegas.  Very skilled, top-4 RHD.

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

And Vegas will promptly take him.

High cap hit, which will help them and low wage. Win-win for Vegas.  Very skilled, top-4 RHD.

If you go through the process of doing a mock expansion draft, it's interesting to see that there will likely be a surplus of defencemen to choose from... good forwards will be much harder to come by.  Vegas will have their pick of some good D, but their top six forwards will be a nightmare (although free agency may offer them some good choices).