UFA market 2017

Ducky

Should the Jets go after some UFAs this upcoming summer?

LHD is a concern even with the great play of Morrissey.

Enstrom is gone after next season and the dropoff is very steep after that.

Alzner 2.8 and Del Zotto 3.875 are two players I would be talking to.

Alzner will be getting a raise but would be great on the left side. If Chevy signed alzner for 5 or 6 years, our LH side is looking pretty good with him and Morrissey.

Del Zotto is good in his zone and a really good skater but might want too much. 3.875 is about right for him.

What about Center?

Little's injury is showing us the lack of depth in that position.

Tavares? I doubt it.

Martin Hanzal for 3 years? 3.1m currently.

Berglund for 5 years? 3.7m currently.

Wait for Roslo and re-sign Little?

Alzner is really someone I would like to see play for us. A very good shutdwon D man that shoots left and doesn't miss many games. We could probably get him for 6 x 5m ish and he would step right in to the 1LHD on the Jets. He is 28 years old so I wouldn't want to see more than a 6 year contract.

Most of the time guys that make it to free agency aren't guys you should be going after.  I mean it's more than likely that player signs before then. Also... if a player does make it to free agency... let's use Kevin Shattenkirk as an example... if the blues don't trade him he's going to be a free agent.... even if he's traded... regardless he will more than likely be a free agent. Why? Because he has pretty much already said he wants to play closer to home in the eastern US... Boston is the rumored spot... so he's gonna be a free agent but really.... he's not because he's already got his preferred destination in mind. 

Regarding the Jets they will never be major players on the free agent market. 

Its funny.  We used to hear how Edmonton would have to greatly over-pay to get a FA if they could even get him to pick up the phone.  Now we hear how every free agent wants to play there.  Its about winning first and foremost.  if Winnipeg is winning with a young talented team and the Jets feel they need a FA, they will get him.

If it was all about weather and money every player would play in Florida.

29 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Its funny.  We used to hear how Edmonton would have to greatly over-pay to get a FA if they could even get him to pick up the phone.  Now we hear how every free agent wants to play there.  Its about winning first and foremost.  if Winnipeg is winning with a young talented team and the Jets feel they need a FA, they will get him.

If it was all about weather and money every player would play in Florida.

edmonton-alta-february-11-2016-connor-mc1297833282516_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

edmonton-alta-february-11-2016-connor-mc1297833282516_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

Exactly my point.

Its not about a crappy city or poor weather.  Its really over blown.   I had this argument with a friend of mine last weekend who said Winnipeg sucks and no one wants to be here despite several Jets' players re-signing.  Every single city has players that prefer not to play there for some reason whether its weather, night life, wife hates it, family is far, CDN money, taxes whatever,  But the chance to win, being treated right, cures all ails.