Page Shifts and Slides

Rich

Have had a couple of reports of the site intermittently shifting / scrolling / or sliding when pages load, but have never experienced this myself.

If anyone else is seeing this and you can provide some or all of the following information, I'd appreciate it:

• Which browser you are using
  • Does the thread contain unread posts when it happens
  • How are you clicking to get into the thread (ie. clicking on the title or the 'dot' to indicate unread posts
  • Do the new posts span more than the current page
  • Any other common conditions you may have noticed when it does happen

• Rich pinned this topic

I think I know what you're talking about. Google Chrome, always. Click on the dot (for unread only, always) and doesn't necessarily take me to newest. Will slide up for some reason and  show older posts . 

Another odd thing, sometimes the page will "Mark As Read" even when I haven't clicked that. Even if there are threads I haven't read yet, sometimes the site will show them as read. Very odd. 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think I know what you're talking about. Google Chrome, always. Click on the dot (for unread only, always) and doesn't necessarily take me to newest. Will slide up for some reason and  show older posts

This happens sometimes when there is a Tweet or YouTube embedded in posts.  Those things are loaded from offsite so the page can't calculate how much space they take, so if it is a long Tweet or picture, the page can bounce down from where the new post actually starts.   From the reports I've had recently, it sounds like this might be something different and only started happening recently.

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Another odd thing, sometimes the page will "Mark As Read" even when I haven't clicked that. Even if there are threads I haven't read yet, sometimes the site will show them as read. Very odd. 

This one is for sure an annoying bug.

1 hour ago, yogi said:

On IE(don't judge me), when tweets are linked, the post containing it keeps growing longer and longer inexplicably. Like someone is mashing the enter key. Only noticed on the last week.

Same - using IE - it's getting really freaking annoying.  I open a thread and it just starts dropping off the screen.  Just started doing this a week ago.

5 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Firefox people.  It's the cool place to be.

Internet Explorer is a horrible product that should be burned to the ground and buried.

Unfortunately a number of people have no choice in the matter.

23 hours ago, Rich said:

This looks to have started happening when the latest patch was applied.

A support request has been logged for this with the software vendor.  Will update as I get more info.

Here is an update I received from support:

Unfortunately it seems this is a known issue in the software. I have however been informed that this is resolved in the 4.1.17 release of the software.

The current status of release 4.1.17 is in development.

I've asked for an ETA on when they think it will be released and I have also expressed extreme displeasure on behalf of the Members here who this is affecting.

Now that I've read the planned release notes, here is another item coming that should address a common annoyance:

• Auto-saved content in the editor will now expire after 48 hours
  • If you load an editor that has previous auto-saved content you will now be prompted to keep or remove it

This should address the problem when you go to type in a post (or quote a post) and end up not submitting it, but then it keeps showing up over and over when you go to make a new different post.

Here is the scoop ....

This patch is scheduled to be released end of November.  They say unless a bug is crashing a site, it isn't going to be patched any sooner.  And this doesn't qualify.

These are the options for the next month:

1. I can disable auto embedding until the patch comes.  This would mean that things like pictures, videos, tweets, etc would show up as a link that people would have to click on rather then view-able content.  When you paste the link in, it wouldn't auto convert to content.  People could still "force" the content to embed, and I can't stop that.  This would only apply to new posts after the setting change.
  2. People on Internet Explorer will have to put up with this for month.

I don't track browser usage, so I have no data on how many people this might affect.  So looking for some feedback on how many people actually view the site on IE and how much people would miss embedded content like tweets, videos, and pictures for a month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Rich unpinned this topic