Heritage Classic

Rich

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Could you imagine the Jets with Hawerchuk & Selanne in their prime playing on the same line? That would have been scary. How different would the hockey world have been if Rudy Pilous wouldn't have told Micheal Gobuty that Wayne Gretzky would never last as a pro hockey player?

Hawerchuk wasn't exactly in his prime by the time Selanne came along but yeah, it would have been cool if they could have played together.  In the 1990's NHL though, with the way it was structured etc that probably wouldn't have happened as Winnipeg wouldn't have been able to afford both guys.  Nowadays we hopefully will see Scheifele and Laine play together for many years to come.

Was there a reason that Tkachuk wasn't a part of the alumni for the Jets?  Was it just that everyone couldn't stand him when he played here?

13 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I was mostly impressed by certain guys being in good shape.

Gretzky looked terrible, maybe he stormed out out of embarrassment? 

Messiers last goal was sick.

Berthiaume looked to be in good shape, got up pretty easy.

Lots of fun to watch.

I think Gretz is in a lot of pain from arthritis.  He really didn't look to be trying too hard out there, unlike some other guys, like Teemu and Mess, who both looked like they wanted to win.  It really seemed to be the Hawerchuk/Selanne/King line vs the Messier/Anderson/Simpson line, with a little Morris Lukowich thrown in.   I was pretty impressed with Essensa, he looked like he still had some of his old moves.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

As Gretzky himself says, he just doesn't skate very often and at 56 there are reports that he has osteo-arthritis. He seemed to enjoy the event and even played a little shiny tim bit style on the smaller sheet. Don't think you will see him playing to many if any alumni events any time soon.

In a sense it's amazing to see the "hockey sense" (as the panel put it) that most of these guys still have, but the ravages age inflicts is sad to see, particularly with guys like Gretzky. Those of us who were lucky enough to see them in their prime will always have the memories of the brilliance of these players. Days like yesterday give us a little taste/reminder of the joy and warm feelings evoked by a special time in our lives, and isn't that what sport is about? 

1 hour ago, IC Khari said:

In a sense it's amazing to see the "hockey sense" (as the panel put it) that most of these guys still have, but the ravages age inflicts is sad to see, particularly with guys like Gretzky. Those of us who were lucky enough to see them in their prime will always have the memories of the brilliance of these players. Days like yesterday give us a little taste/reminder of the joy and warm feelings evoked by a special time in our lives, and isn't that what sport is about? 

Teemu looks like he is still keeping in amazing shape.  You could tell a few times he could have turned on the burners but slowed down to not make the Oilers look too bad.  Hawerchuk is a lot slower but he still has those deceptive moves.  He seems to defy physics when he skates.  I heard that on Saturday night the old Oilers and the new Oilers all got together for a team building event.  Did the Jets do this too? 

15 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

IGF isn't perfect. But I think attendance being down has more to do with other factors than people feeling like it's hard to get to or the concourse is too small. 

Every game is on TV. The Bombers have sucked for years. And it's more expensive to take the family to a game then it was previously.   I certainly find IGF a way better experience than CIS. And I go to more games now than before. 

I think Lawless makes a good point that 33,000 is a bit oversized for everyday games. 

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

IGF isn't perfect. But I think attendance being down has more to do with other factors than people feeling like it's hard to get to or the concourse is too small. 

Every game is on TV. The Bombers have sucked for years. And it's more expensive to take the family to a game then it was previously.   I certainly find IGF a way better experience than CIS. And I go to more games now than before. 

I think Lawless makes a good point that 33,000 is a bit oversized for everyday games. 

It's a combination of many things that add up to why they can't sell it out. 

Older folks don't want to park and ride and spend an extra 2 hours on a tight school bus. 

Younger families don't want to spend the big money on concessions (they are over priced for what you get) .

Winnipeg (unlike Ottawa) has a tonne of options throughout summer and fall for entertainment and it's hard to compete when we have so many concerts, festivals and other options to spend our money on.

The Jets coming back also hurt them...

So many factors and each one knocks the ticket sales down bit by bit.