Heritage Classic

Rich

Heritage classic is coming up so time for a thread for it.

Found this tweet interesting.  Remember the outcry from last year and backlash on the Bombers for delaying this event due to not wanting to cannibalize Grey Cup sales?

Grey Cup ticket price point and the tickets to both Heritage Classic games are very similar (can only buy the heritage games as a package). 

If the Jets can’t even have this event sold out a week before the game, I think the Bombers were justified in their concerns over what the effect would have been on the Grey Cup.

There was never a doubt that there'd be issues selling tickets. Winnipeg (Manitoba??) is very cheap and doesn't see the "value" in a once-in-a-lifetime event like this. Will sit back and try to get free tickets, but won't drop the big money to be a part of it. 

34 minutes ago, Noeller said:

There was never a doubt that there'd be issues selling tickets. Winnipeg (Manitoba??) is very cheap and doesn't see the "value" in a once-in-a-lifetime event like this. Will sit back and try to get free tickets, but won't drop the big money to be a part of it. 

That's a load of crap.  I spent $20 buying raffle tickets to try and get in.  Won't drop big money...sheesh!

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'll admit to always leaping to the defense of our city/province when it comes to the comments about being cheap.  But you know....the more events that come here, the more I realize you're right. To some degree, at least.

That said, Winnipeg is most often lumped in with Cgy, Edm and to some extent Van, Mtl, Tor when it comes to big events in music or sport.  We just don't have the population that those towns do. 

FWIW, less Calgarians per capita attended the 2011 Heritage game compared to Wpg this year.

18 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I'll admit to always leaping to the defense of our city/province when it comes to the comments about being cheap.  But you know....the more events that come here, the more I realize you're right. To some degree, at least.

That said, Winnipeg is most often lumped in with Cgy, Edm and to some extent Van, Mtl, Tor when it comes to big events in music or sport.  We just don't have the population that those towns do. 

FWIW, less Calgarians per capita attended the 2011 Heritage game compared to Wpg this year.

I'm the proudest Manitoban there is....trust me......but it baffles me how people will not pay retail price for things. I just don't understand. An event like the Heritage Classic, or the Grey Cup, are just things you have to be a part of, when you get the chance, because they're so rare.

This event may be BIG in some peoples eyes. To others it's not. For one thing, it's early. It might have sold better if it was third week of March instead of October just because the season is coming to a close & people are really into it a that time. That's my theory. So we stay at home & enjoy both games in front of the telly.

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Chipman said they made an error in selling tickets on that the jets, the league and the bombers were all selling tickets but not in a cooperative manner. And he thinks the talk of it being sold out ages ago hurt sales. 

Agreed. I honestly had no idea it wasn't sold out until a week or do ago also the marketing of the game is non existent. It's an nhl event tho and jets probably just get a tiny percentage. Bombers just get their rent.... rest goes to the nhl. 

15 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Yeah we've barely got 750k people in this city, I think we support events just fine.  If the stadium was 30k seats it would be sold out and everyone would be happy, but because it's 33k and we're still a few hundred short of a sellout, it's all "we don't support events and won't pay retail value, etc, etc"... gimme a break.  I'm sure when the puck drops, the place will be packed.

16 hours ago, Noeller said:

Just plain ignorant really.  Who's getting free tickets to this event?  I dropped $425+ for my tickets, because it is a once-in-a-lifetime event.  30,000 other people have done the same, or in some cases spent way more.  Get the Alberta sized stick out of your ass already.

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This event may be BIG in some peoples eyes. To others it's not. For one thing, it's early. It might have sold better if it was third week of March instead of October just because the season is coming to a close & people are really into it a that time. That's my theory. So we stay at home & enjoy both games in front of the telly.

Truthfully I have barely thought about the game and mostly forgot it was happening.  When there's some snow on the ground and I start spending more time in the house, that's when I'll think about the hockey season.  There's a pretty good football season still in progress.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/nhl-infant-special-event-ticket-policy-1.3810463

NHL fans can now bring children under the age of two to the upcoming Heritage Classic in Winnipeg without having to pay for a seat, as the league has reversed a policy that had long frustrated parents of infants and toddlers.

http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/3144762/NHL-Ticketing-Oct-18-FINAL.pdf

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE OCTOBER 18, 2016 NHL STATEMENT REGARDING SPECIAL EVENT TICKETING NEW YORK (Oct. 18, 2016) – The National Hockey League issued the following statement today regarding a change to its ticket procedure at League Special Events: Over the last number of years, the League's procedure for its Special Event games (e.g., NHL All-Star, NHL Winter Classic, NHL Stadium Series and NHL Heritage Classic) has required that any fan, regardless of age, be required to have a ticket to gain entry. After reviewing this practice, the League has decided to adopt a standard that more closely mirrors that of similar entertainment events and that to which local NHL Clubs adhere. While the League will strive to adopt such policy for these Special Event games, in some instances, it may not be possible or practical in a particular venue. This new procedure will be effective for the 2016 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic™ in Winnipeg on October 23, and, as such, children two years and older must have a ticket in order to gain entrance to Investors Group Field for the 2016 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic™. Children under two years of age may enter without a ticket but must sit on the lap of an accompanying adult. Any fan who purchased 2016 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic™ tickets from authorized outlets for the event (i.e., the Winnipeg Jets, the Edmonton Oilers the National Hockey League or Ticketmaster.ca) for children under the age of two may obtain a refund for such a ticket on the day of the game by bringing their ticket and child to the main box office at Investors Group Field prior to the start of the game.