Procedure

At the game, from the very beginning I noticed #67 for the lions, Hunter Steward (left guard) would hold his arm out to the center until the snap then quickly pull his arm in prior to the snap. Is that legal? he did it all game long, and I couldn't figure out how that was legal as it could very well draw players in. I was under the impression once you get into stance, you cannot break it until after the snap. Can someone clarify please

He is talking about a specific stand he is talking about a OL being in a specific position the moving as set is called. In the last Edmonton game the right guard was looking back at the QB and as the QB he would turn his head back and go into his stance. Thus was in motion all through set. 

3 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

He is talking about a specific stand he is talking about a OL being in a specific position the moving as set is called. In the last Edmonton game the right guard was looking back at the QB and as the QB he would turn his head back and go into his stance. Thus was in motion all through set. 

3 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

If you're referring to players on the O-line communicating the set through arm motions or looking back at the QB when the crowd is loud they do that all the time.   Can't really punish them for that.

12 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If you're referring to players on the O-line communicating the set through arm motions or looking back at the QB when the crowd is loud they do that all the time.   Can't really punish them for that.

9 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

Yes, you can. Clearly they don't but the rule says no movement when set, so no movement. Yet another cheat allowed by the refs for the offenses that isn't passed on to the defensive line.

I think that the D line can look at the quarterback as much as they want and they can point to their hearts content.

I was thinking more of the change in the last few years where a D player goes offside quite a bit but get back before the snap. That was very rarely called in the past if they made no contact and got back. I happened once in the last Bomber game. As well, if D moved first and an OLineman moved (a natural defensive action) it still got called procedure now it doesn't. Now the latter I am actually okay with but the getting flagged when you step offside but get back I don't agree with ... nor do I like how teams get away with a crapload of holding (i include our line in this). With holding, the better a QB is deemed the holding seems to drop exponentially.

7 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

I was thinking more of the change in the last few years where a D player goes offside quite a bit but get back before the snap. That was very rarely called in the past if they made no contact and got back. I happened once in the last Bomber game. As well, if D moved first and an OLineman moved (a natural defensive action) it still got called procedure now it doesn't. Now the latter I am actually okay with but the getting flagged when you step offside but get back I don't agree with ... nor do I like how teams get away with a crapload of holding (i include our line in this). With holding, the better a QB is deemed the holding seems to drop exponentially.

If a player goes more than a yard offside then the play is blown down immediately. That's been the rule for years. 

Well, I would dispute that. I used to only see it when the D player makes contact or breeches the full yard. But they used to allow the one yard barrier to be encroached as long as the player got back before the snap. That is how the rule is and that is the way they used to call it.

Being "set" has nothing to do with the QB yelling "set".

A lineman is considered set if he puts a hand down on the ground, or if he supports his upper body by resting his hands or forearms on his knees or thighs.   He is able to move if his arms hang freely by his sides.   He does have to be still for a full 1 second prior to the snap.

The QB yelling "set" is an age-old coaching technique to discipline players into being still for the snap of the ball.