Yakupov traded

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Yak is a good kid. **** Dallas Eakins for destroying him

Destroyed? So you're already giving him an out for sucking in St.Louis?

You constantly give Dallas Eakins way to much credit for his influence on players. 

I guess we can test your theory now on how well he does with the Blues. He is out of excuses.

Edited by HardCoreBlue

11 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Destroyed? So you're already giving him an out for sucking in St.Louis?

You constantly give Dallas Eakins way to much credit for his influence on players. 

I guess we can test your theory now on how well he does with the Blues. He is out of excuses.

Eakins took the guy who should have been rookie of the year (tied for most points by a rookie and most goals by a rookie) and crushed his confidence to the point he was afraid to do what made him the player he was. Yak is a guy who needs that confidence to succeed and Eakins ruined him. I don't know if he can bounce back or not but at a key point in his career he got a coach that was 100% wrong for him.

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Eakins took the guy who should have been rookie of the year (tied for most points by a rookie and most goals by a rookie) and crushed his confidence to the point he was afraid to do what made him the player he was. Yak is a guy who needs that confidence to succeed and Eakins ruined him. I don't know if he can bounce back or not but at a key point in his career he got a coach that was 100% wrong for him.

So help me understand what Yak's responsibility is in all of this? Did he need someone to tell him constantly how great he is and hey play where ever you want and have as many minutes as you want? Please, let it go with Eakins mind crushing ability.  He was a lousy head coach but did not ruin Yakupov.

Yakupov isn't as good as some think he was/is. It's happened before with high draft picks and it will happen again.

On 08/10/2016 at 1:24 PM, HardCoreBlue said:

So help me understand what Yak's responsibility is in all of this? Did he need someone to tell him constantly how great he is and hey play where ever you want and have as many minutes as you want? Please, let it go with Eakins mind crushing ability.  He was a lousy head coach but did not ruin Yakupov.

Yakupov isn't as good as some think he was/is. It's happened before with high draft picks and it will happen again.

No Eakins did break Yakupov, he broke a bunch of other guys on that team too, only one who didn't see the production fall off a cliff was Hall and a big part of that is because Hall is just a give me the puck and I'll do it all myself if I have to guy anyway. 

Look the problem with Yakupov wasn't that he was poor defensively or that he didn't work, the problem was he wasn't putting up enough points. Eakins didn't give him a chance though, he stuck him with Boyd Gordon and said produce, well no one does that and then when he made a mistake defensively as young players are known to do he got stapled to the bench. It took a mentally fragile player and made him afraid to do what made him effective offensively. The situation became one where Yakupov felt singled out by the Oilers and he felt he couldn't win so he wanted out. He didn't handle it well but he was treated poorly be Eakins and it made the player less than what he could have been. Not everyone needs the tough love approach. 

The other thing to consider is that Yakupov had some offensive production with guys like Gagner or Roy or obviously McDavid as his centres but sucked with the Boyd Gordons or Mark Letestus of the world who he often got stuck with in the bottom 6. So he needed to produce to move up but couldn't do that with offensively inept line mates. Hard situation. Moving on is the best situation for him because he wasn't going to get the chances he wanted or needed in Edmonton and Edmonton can fill those bottom 6 roles with actual bottom 6 type players.