Buck Martinez - debate?

wbbfan

On 10/5/2016 at 10:32 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

Wow I've been watching Buck for years and never knew he was so bad.  Thanks for enlightening me.  My dad watches every inning of every Jays game and now I have to break this news to him, he's going to be so disappointed  in himself for liking Buck and Tabbie when he should have been hating them.  This is really going to be hard to do, but it must be done.

I still remember that game last year against KC where Sanchez hit the KC batter and got thrown out.  Buck went nuts.  I loved it.

you can like him, nothing wrong with that. But doesnt change that he just isnt good as a broadcaster. 

19 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

"Good" is all relative I guess, though there are universally bad broadcasters, Exhibit A one Rodney Black.

I have to disagree with that. Good and Bad is very quantifiable.....but.....there are things some people enjoy that others don't. Or maybe broadcasters do certain things that irk some people and don't bother others. But good and bad is very quantifiable, trust me...Buck isn't a good PBP guy (great colour/analyst!!) at all, but I totally respect someone's right to enjoy listening to him. 

Just now, Noeller said:

...Buck isn't a good PBP guy (great colour/analyst!!) at all, but I totally respect someone's right to enjoy listening to him. 

By the fifth inning my dad is so into the rye that the game could be called by Richard Simmons with Chris Tucker doing colour and he'd be enjoying it.

I've never found buck to be that bad, could be just a familiar sound after so long of watching the Jays on sportsnet, but nothing wrong with him. If anything I felt watching the game today it was missing Buck's excitement when Tulo/Carrera/Pillar/Edwin took the ball out of the park. I was still cheering, but felt like it was missing that certain something

51 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I have to disagree with that. Good and Bad is very quantifiable.....but.....there are things some people enjoy that others don't. Or maybe broadcasters do certain things that irk some people and don't bother others. But good and bad is very quantifiable, trust me...Buck isn't a good PBP guy (great colour/analyst!!) at all, but I totally respect someone's right to enjoy listening to him. 

agree with all of that. One of the other articles where a survey was taken of the broadcast media around each mlb team put it very well. Tabler and buck get along really well. Maybe too ned flanders well. But both really fill the same niche. Both should be color guys with a strong pbp guy to off set them. Jays ranked 20th in the pole with the largest number of mediocre (c) votes. If they shifted buck to color and got a good young pbp guy itd improve things a lot. 

Hes not pederson / rod black / etc bad. Or chic white sox guy. But its like having mitch zalnasky do bob irvings job. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

agree with all of that. One of the other articles where a survey was taken of the broadcast media around each mlb team put it very well. Tabler and buck get along really well. Maybe too ned flanders well. But both really fill the same niche. Both should be color guys with a strong pbp guy to off set them. Jays ranked 20th in the pole with the largest number of mediocre (c) votes. If they shifted buck to color and got a good young pbp guy itd improve things a lot. 

Hes not pederson / rod black / etc bad. Or chic white sox guy. But its like having mitch zalnasky do bob irvings job. 

And this is why the games with Dan Schulman are so unbelievably good. A legit PBP guy with two quality analysts... 

5 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I've never found buck to be that bad, could be just a familiar sound after so long of watching the Jays on sportsnet, but nothing wrong with him. If anything I felt watching the game today it was missing Buck's excitement when Tulo/Carrera/Pillar/Edwin took the ball out of the park. I was still cheering, but felt like it was missing that certain something

Get out of here ball!!!