Saskatoon Animal Hospital

The Unknown Poster

Anyone have any experience at the Animal Hospital at the University in Saskatoon?

They are tremendous.  I wish our human health care was this good.  Five years ago, one of our dogs became paralyzed in his hind quarters.  It was hectic in that it happened on a long weekend, we couldnt get into our regular vet etc etc.  By time we did, she said you have to decide to do surgery or not and you have to decide now, you can only go to Saskatoon or Minneapolis and it could cost $10,000.  Long story short, we took him to Saskatoon which was an adventure because time was of the essence so we decided to fly.  Westjet didnt fly direct and wouldnt allow an animal in the passenger area.  Air Canada would only allow use of their animal carrier and our dog barely fit.  Ended up missing the first flight.  Anyway....had a great experience in Saskatoon.

Unfortunately, our poor dog had the same thing happen late Tuesday.  Hectic again for different reasons.  Our vet is on maternity leave.  The other vet at her practice would examine him but their X-Ray machine broke.  We're in the middle of a move etc etc.

So again, long story short, we hop in the car and drive all night, stay all day and drive back.  I just got back.  Exhausted.  But the little guy had the surgery.  We'll have to go get him again.  But the hospital now has a patient liaison.  Its really a great experience and takes a lot of stress off when you are in an emergency situation with your animal.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had been out there and give a thumbs up to the place.  Top notch.

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I could be wrong but isn't that where most of the vets in the province go to school to become a vet?  

I believe so.  I didnt realise it but I *think* its the only vet school in the country.  And if it isnt, Im not sure why you'd want to go anywhere else.  You'd get the best experience in Saskatoon.

Apparently there is now an orthopedic surgeon in Winnipeg but he would need CT scan's and that can only be done in Saskatoon.  The other advantage is that facility in Saskatoon has everything to deal with any scenario that might arise during a surgery.  We were able to briefly see our dog in ICU after his surgery and its just a great facility.  Our dog (Romeo) was very angry with us.  He both tried to climb out of his cage to leave with us and refused to look at us.  But they are treated very well there.

As an aside, I made a joke on twitter about Saskatoon being SK's do-over after blowing it with Regina.  But its sort of true.  Saskatoon is a beautiful little city and the people are all awesome. 

On 9/23/2016 at 1:34 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Saskatoon supposedly has more people then Regina according to Wikipedia.

Get CFL team :)

Saskatoon has had more people than Regina for a long time. By quite a bit too.

As of late, it has just over 260 000 people.

It has grown like a weed. It had under 200K when I moved there as a toddler.

On 9/23/2016 at 1:59 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

I didnt realise that.  200,000+ and their CMA is just over 300,000.  if the NHL ever considered SK, definitely Saskatoon over Regina.

Plus, the Sasktel Centre is far bigger than Regina's arena, and it would already be big enough for an NHL team. Regina would have to build a new arena. Same reason why Saskatoon is a long shot from a CFL team. No sufficient stadium.

Edited by AtlanticRiderFan