Eskies at Riders

Tracker

3 minutes ago, tracker said:

Can't disagree with you there. That was such a no-brainer phony challenge that only Stevie Wonder would have considered throwing that flag. Maas has to be under some pressure, so his fuse is probably getting a bit short.

Maas is a big time hot head. Bene's defense is looking horrible. Fans aren't going to like missing the playoffs after winning the cup. Pressure will continue to mount. Doesn't get any easier as they have the Lions next up.

Just now, Ripper said:

Maas is a big time hot head. Bene's defense is looking horrible. Fans aren't going to like missing the playoffs after winning the cup. Pressure will continue to mount. Doesn't get any easier as they have the Lions next up.

If you concede the game against the Stamps, the fight for second place will likely come down to the Bomber-Lions game, so that leaves the Esks probably crossing over to the woeful East Division and may get an almost free ride into the Grey Cup. I like the Bomber chances against the Beastly Lions.

Just now, tracker said:

If you concede the game against the Stamps, the fight for second place will likely come down to the Bomber-Lions game, so that leaves the Esks probably crossing over to the woeful East Division and may get an almost free ride into the Grey Cup. I like the Bomber chances against the Beastly Lions.

Why would we concede against the stamps?

9 minutes ago, tracker said:

This is the biggest game of the year for you guys. Beat the Stamps at home and heads are turning big time. I would love to see a Bomber win this week.  You guys will be sitting at the big kids table.

35 minutes ago, Ripper said:

This is the biggest game of the year for you guys. Beat the Stamps at home and heads are turning big time. I would love to see a Bomber win this week.  You guys will be sitting at the big kids table.

I would say that with only one team with a better record and the Lions with the same points and a game in hand that we are already at the big kids table. 

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I would say that with only one team with a better record and the Lions with the same points and a game in hand that we are already at the big kids table. 

Totally agree with that, but I think some aren't sure you guys are for real. That's more what I meant. A win shuts up the people saying you guys are not a cup contender. I have had doubts about how the season would unfold for you guys with Nichols at the helm. Lapo is doing a great job with him and more and more its starting to look like a smooth unit.

17 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Desperation shouldn't be a reason to throw a challenge flag. Changes need to be made in the off season.

Absolutely desperation should be a reason to throw a challenge flag.  Just don't act like an ass and chew out the ref when you lose the challenge.

Frankly I don't see why in certain situations coaches don't throw a challenge flag when they want to call a timeout.  They're going to get charged a timeout anyways.

(obviously entirely situational in nature - wouldn't do it when a review could negatively affect you, or when you still have that potential got-a-perfect-record-on-challenges bonus challenge at stake)

Over the last few years I've seen multiple instances of coaches calling a time out so they can take a longer look at a play so they can decide if they want to challenge the play.  It's the coaching equivalent of not being able to tie your own shoes.  Even if you win the challenge you still burned a timeout.

Do it the other way, maybe, just maybe something positive comes out of it.  And you probably end up with a timeout longer than 30 seconds.  And at worst it only costs you a timeout, the thing you were going to use anyways.

8 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Absolutely desperation should be a reason to throw a challenge flag.  Just don't act like an ass and chew out the ref when you lose the challenge.

Frankly I don't see why in certain situations coaches don't throw a challenge flag when they want to call a timeout.  They're going to get charged a timeout anyways.

(obviously entirely situational in nature - wouldn't do it when a review could negatively affect you, or when you still have that potential got-a-perfect-record-on-challenges bonus challenge at stake)

Over the last few years I've seen multiple instances of coaches calling a time out so they can take a longer look at a play so they can decide if they want to challenge the play.  It's the coaching equivalent of not being able to tie your own shoes.  Even if you win the challenge you still burned a timeout.

Do it the other way, maybe, just maybe something positive comes out of it.  And you probably end up with a timeout longer than 30 seconds.  And at worst it only costs you a timeout, the thing you were going to use anyways.

One of the reasons that i think they should move away from losing a time out as the penalty for getting a challenege wrong.

15 hours ago, tracker said:

Disagree- we were getting too many frivolous challenges. The rule is good the way it is now.

How can the rule be good if we are getting too many frivolous challenges?  

I'd like to see the challenge rule changed to a 10 yard penalty if you are wrong.  You would eliminate some (but not all) of the challenges.   If you have any challenges at all, coaches will throw them late in the game in desperation.  Any failed 3rd down will garner a flag in the hopes that something is found to keep a drive alive.