Miller starting contract extension talks with Walters O'Shea

Jpan85

Not surprised. Miller/Walters/O'Shea have always thought they were on the right track, even when the wins weren't there. The last 7 wins show they are on the right track, at least for right now. I'd wait until the end of the season to see where we end up and if we win a playoff game or not before talking extensions, but then again, I'd have waited to see if Willy really was a top tier QB before paying like he was too.

I'd extend Walters in a heart beat. the guys been on fire this year, that Willy trade pretty much sealed the deal for me as far as how I perceived him as a GM the guy can draft well, and wheels and deals like a fox in the hen house. 

I would extend MOS but how the year plays out might be indicative of the length.  7 wins in a row is awesome, but can't ignore all the L's piled up over the years.  if we only end up 10-8 I'd go 2 years tops,  anything higher and a good playoffs then 3 years

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

We watched MOS throughly out coach a guy who got the keys to the kingdom in back to back weeks a couple weeks ago. Could argue during this 7 gamers he has been better at decision making than the guy across from him every week. Add to the fact he has the best special teams unit in the league right now. Lock him up asap. 

28 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I really dont see anything from MOS but if you make the playoffs everyone comes  back. Thats the way it should be.

I honestly don't understand how you couldn't see anything from O'Shea. He's not so quietly become one of the best head coaches in the CFL and that's no stretch.

He has his moments, but what coach doesn't? He's worlds different as a coach than he was two or three years ago. His players love playing for him. His team is among the most disciplined in the CFL. He uses challenges more effectively than almost any coach in the CFL. His understanding of how to play in specific situations has improved leaps and bounds. His roster management, which was my biggest knock on him in years past, has undergone a complete 180.

Dickenson is probably coach of the year but there's 0 chance O'Shea isn't a finalist.

Based on what we read after the team was 1-4, we learned that the team was playing for MOS job. They love the guy, and knew he was in thin ice, and knew it was their fault. 

What he's created among those players means a lot to me as a fan. It's no secret I want The Trinity locked up asap. 

Not sure why anyone is against the idea of keeping them around. We know they both took over a crappy roster that couldn't be expected to win a lot of games. The whole reason we hired a guy like MOS as a first time coach was to get our hooks into him because of his long term potential, not because he was already a great head coach. Why would you not extend him when he's a much better coach now than when he was hired, which was basically the plan.

Start of the year I think a lot of people were hoping for an 8-10 win season, and expecting less from years of disappointment. We're sitting 8-4, and the schedule gets tough from here on out. But I think Walters has exceeded expectations for a rookie GM (especially a younger one who hasn't had decades of experience as an AGM or similiar), and MOS is becoming the coach we thought he could when we hired him, so why suffer through the growing pains to let someone else get that benefit.

Sign them up, let them do what they've been doing. It's harder than anyone is mentioning to stick to the long term plan when everyone wants immediate results. The team is finally starting to see results from the plan these guys put in play and have stuck to. Unless we'd rather bring back Mike Kelly and Brendan Taman to run the team......

I am fine with starting talks BUT like others finalizing thing should wait ... Even though it could cost more. All those L's and snippy moments O'Shea has had must be factored in. There are six games left, and while I am getting more faith in the team, there is a long way to go. The seven game streak has relieved the pressure but I would not want to lock either up until we have more positive results. 

I'd lock them both up now.  Their teams are competitive, their players play hard for them, their players are outstanding in the community, and if we don't sign them, someone else will be rewarded with wins down the road (from the "rookies" that we've watched develop in front of us).

Take a look at the options out there.  There aren't many who are unemployed (or will be unemployed) that I want to replace this group.  

Winning, young, and Canadian.  Can't beat that.

Edited by ALuCsRED

I've been demanding re-signing moss since last  year!   :lol:     (kidding, I thought he was a bust)

lock him up and his coaching crew as well. Another area O'Shea has really improved in...... picking his assistants.

While their at it, give the secondary coach a nice raise.... without a doubt, that guy is doing an outstanding job.

I really wonder what happened with the team..... was it just Nichols?

How could they go from heartless and disinterested, to what they are now? Must have been a few things..... Mike's post maybe?

Edited by Mark F

Continuity is key in Football, MOS is a smart guy and a very good coach, Walters has done quite the job for sure. Lock em both up, extend them for 3 years each or more... The real successful teams in any sport really are the teams who keep around the same people, the teams that struggle the most ar the ones who change coaches and gm's every year or 2. These guys both DESERVE to be here a long time. Lock em up. 

It's great to identify the improvement on the field this year, but it's equally Important to gauge the position of the team moving forward into next season with a stable and consistent management group.

We as a team have so many  dynamic players and reasons for optimism  that another year with the same system will pay fantastic dividends.

21 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Continuity is key in Football, MOS is a smart guy and a very good coach, Walters has done quite the job for sure. Lock em both up, extend them for 3 years each or more... The real successful teams in any sport really are the teams who keep around the same people, the teams that struggle the most ar the ones who change coaches and gm's every year or 2. These guys both DESERVE to be here a long time. Lock em up. 

Continuity is only good when we're winning. Continuity is highly over rated otherwise. Examples: Continuity was keeping MB from 2013-15. Change was bringing in PLAP. Continuity would have been to keep starting Willy, Neufeld and M Harris. Change is Nichols, Bond/Hardrick and Loffler.

35 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Part of me hopes that LaPolice gets a head coaching GIG somewhere this off-season so we can have a NEW OC and perhaps a little more creativity shown. I think at times, the O play calling is holding the team back a bit.. a little to conservative for my liking. 

Yes...lets get rid of a coach who is in the middle of a 7 game winning streak because you are bored.

As we have seen in the last few weeks we now have some gravy on top of our pile of players and injuries has not been critical. With extra first picks we will soon be in an envious position. We can thank both for getting them and coaching them.  Let's show them we have confidence in them.  As we discuss this we can thank our lucky star we did not end up as have our next westerly neighbours. 

48 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Part of me hopes that LaPolice gets a head coaching GIG somewhere this off-season so we can have a NEW OC and perhaps a little more creativity shown. I think at times, the O play calling is holding the team back a bit.. a little to conservative for my liking. 

We should remember that for some time we were without Adams, Wessler and Smith at the same time.  That has to affect the way the game plan is drawn up.  It's hard to complain when we are averaging 29 points per game.