Incident at Banjo Bowl

Blueballz

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Serious question and I'm not asking this to diminish anything you may have to say but aren't you like 15 years old?

I guess what I'm saying is familiarity with how alcohol consumption can and can't be dealt with may be out of your comfort zone. These things are already ALL in place.

Rules don't prevent jerks from being jerks. People who break rules aren't going to be deterred by more rules.

16, and yeah, I don't know what it's like to feel hungover or anything.

It's true that jerks are going to do their thing. I do feel though, that some people who drink too much don't understand what it might do to their actions,which is why they need to be careful. These rules probably are in place, but it doesn't seem like they are enforced very well.

There probably isn't much that can be done, but I do hope that people like this are monitored closely. 

5 hours ago, bigg jay said:

He's said that before... but he's also said he doesn't go to the bar much but he sometimes goes to pubs?  I wouldn't put much stock in what he has to say.

I don't go to bars at all. Most pubs here allow minors, that's why I go to them, but I go there for the food, not alcohol. 

I never went to pubs in Saskatoon; they almost never allowed minors. 

Perhaps a wristband type of policy and I get that maybe a friend might go get you a beer or 2 or 3 but a wristband where perhaps you have to punch a hole in it everytime you serve someone. But ya... there's massive flaws in this also.  Nothing will be perfect but maybe the simplest one is if a person seems intoxicated... don't serve them? 

8 hours ago, tracker said:

I am not much of a beer drinker (not at all, in fact) but my brother in law loves the taste of beer, but is paranoid about getting a DWI charge, so he drinks that near-beer stuff. Apparently, the stuff was very bad some 20 years ago when it first came out, but now he tells me it is pretty much indistinguishable from the real stuff. So, what would happen if about half-time the stadium switched over?

You don't know what you're missing champ....oh the strange places you'll go, and all of the incredible things that you will do!

beer drunk monkey ape chimp

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

16 hours ago, LeBird said:

There will always be incidents where your better judgement or experience will raise flags. there will also be incidents that will be sensationalised by the media by clever editing of the tape, coaching or leading the interviewee. But in the end you are left with two choices. You accept it as is or you just accept it.  

Got to go and check how ISO is doing in his project to resign MOS.

He wants a UUUUGE signing bonus. I feel the Burn.

On 9/13/2016 at 2:17 PM, JCon said:

I disagree. The Banjo Bowl is my favorite game of the year because of the banter back and forth. My mother is a lifelong Rider fan and it's the only game she attends each year. It's fun. (It's a lot more fun when the Bombers win)

You sure you weren't adopted?

10 hours ago, AtlanticRiderFan said:

16, and yeah, I don't know what it's like to feel hungover or anything.

It's true that jerks are going to do their thing. I do feel though, that some people who drink too much don't understand what it might do to their actions,which is why they need to be careful. These rules probably are in place, but it doesn't seem like they are enforced very well.

There probably isn't much that can be done, but I do hope that people like this are monitored closely. 

I don't go to bars at all. Most pubs here allow minors, that's why I go to them, but I go there for the food, not alcohol. 

I never went to pubs in Saskatoon; they almost never allowed minors. 

It's pretty tough to point out who the "jerks" are when there are 2000 people standing around at the rum hut and not enough Security and police to watch everyone.

18 hours ago, White Out said:

what? You suffer this bizare, nearly "the purge" style public abuse and you want to go right back?

That's a damn good point that I never thought of.  Usually when most people get into an incident somewhere, fear makes them not want to go back/do it again.  At least not right away.  Especially a kid.  Something that traumatizing happens to a kid, they do NOT want to go back to the point where it happened.  Now maybe this mom is just amazing and makes her kid do it to get over the fear...I don't know.  But stuff like this makes me scratch my head.

And bunnyhug?  Wtf...I don't even...

Edited by Logan007

43 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

That's a damn good point that I never thought of.  Usually when most people get into an incident somewhere, fear makes them not want to go back/do it again.  At least not right away.  Especially a kid.  Something that traumatizing happens to a kid, they do NOT want to go back to the point where it happened.  Now maybe this mom is just amazing and makes her kid do it to get over the fear...I don't know.  But stuff like this makes me scratch my head.

since the age of 9 i sat in section X/Y in Canad Inns, I definitely got a few beers dumped on me (by accident) but it never stopped me from coming back. Don't baby your kids, take them to Bomber games and let them build a beer snake. As long as you're a good parent and don't let your kid wear green they'll have a great time.

Edited by LimJahey

41 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

To be fair, in the interview I heard, the kid didn't want to go back when offered the tickets. It wasn't until he met with Miller and talked to a few players (got the team coin etc) that he started to warm up to the idea of going to watch a game.

I wasn't going to post in this topic as I didn't trust myself not to lose it. 

So I'm not going to provide any opinion on this incident but will provide my outlook on todays society.   When I was a kid (many years ago) I had a great respect and healthy fear of the police.   Today in my post retirement career I work with the police service and I'm disturbed at todays society and the lack of respect we have for police officers.  So if we show a lack of respect to law enforcement.  Can you imagine how these same people would treat normal citizens.  Especially if a large amount of alcohol is introduced in to the situation.  To watch a 20 something female who is extremely intoxicated run at a police officer, jump on his back and start punching him in the head is something that will forever be stuck in my mind.  And that's not the only example I've seen.   When all was said and done this woman was a student at one of local universities and was out with her friends for a night of clubbing.      

I've seen what I would call normal law abiding people absolutely turn in to animals when alcohol is introduced.  Then you add in the extra emotion and rage that sometimes comes with a sporting event.   So I'm not surprised at all when I read about these things happening.   

The only way that you significantly curb this type of behaviour is to end the sale of alcohol at these events.  However, we know that this isn't going to happen.  

What comes of this?  I don't know and quite frankly I don't care.   But some of you are really looking and grasping at any way to blame the mother and the kid.  

Edited by B-F-F-C

43 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

I wasn't going to post in this topic as I didn't trust myself not to lose it. 

So I'm not going to provide any opinion on this incident but will provide my outlook on todays society.   When I was a kid (many years ago) I had a great respect and healthy fear of the police.   Today in my post retirement career I work with the police service and I'm disturbed at todays society and the lack of respect we have for police officers.  So if we show a lack of respect to law enforcement.  Can you imagine how these same people would treat normal citizens.  Especially if a large amount of alcohol is introduced in to the situation.  To watch a 20 something female who is extremely intoxicated run at a police officer, jump on his back and start punching him in the head is something that will forever be stuck in my mind.  And that's not the only example I've seen.   When all was said and done this woman was a student at one of local universities and was out with her friends for a night of clubbing.      

I've seen what I would call normal law abiding people absolutely turn in to animals when alcohol is introduced.  Then you add in the extra emotion and rage that sometimes comes with a sporting event.   So I'm not surprised at all when I read about these things happening.   

The only way that you significantly curb this type of behaviour is to end the sale of alcohol at these events.  However, we know that this isn't going to happen.  

What comes of this?  I don't know and quite frankly I don't care.   But some of you are really looking and grasping at any way to blame the mother and the kid.  

Pretty good non-opinion expression.  I'm not too sure if your topic is one we want to get into here. 

Edited by LeBird

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-blue-bombers-fan-feedback-banjo-bowl-1.3763589

Fans who went to the Banjo Bowl last Saturday are being asked to weigh in on their overall game experience.

A fan experience survey for the 2016 Banjo Bowl was sent to fans this week, asking for input on everything from the cleanliness of the stadium to customer service at concessions, and the helpfulness of staff to the game experience.

The survey comes after Janelle-Marie Emond said her 9-year-old son was bullied and had beer poured on him by Bomber fans for wearing a green sweater at the Banjo Bowl last Saturday when the Blue Bombers beat the Saskatchewan Roughriders 17-10.

The football club has sent a gift basket to Emond and her son with complimentary tickets to future Bomber games as well as a chance to meet some of the Blue Bomber players.

Feeling better

Emond said Thursday that her son is still feeling overwhelmed by all the attention, but he's also feeling better. 

She plans to take him to another game as soon as this Saturday.

"We're going to take a look at the schedule and pick a game together," Emond said in an email to CBC.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have not commented on the survey, but Emond called it a positive sign.

That is fantastic to hear. It is nice to see that possibly some things could change," she said.

The questions in the survey include:

How often do you attend Blue Bomber games?

Where was your seat located?

How did you get to the game?

How likely are you to recommend purchasing tickets to a Blue Bombers game to a friend, family member or colleague?

There were also questions about parking and whether fans parked on campus or off campus.

The survey also asks for any additional feedback about fans' overall experience at the Banjo Bowl.

Just now, TrueBlue said:

Also, all surveillance video has now been reviewed, and I am sure everyone doesn't need me to tell them what was found. 

Spell it out for us, because there are a number of people here that think a claim of wrongdoing is all the proof we need to know that Bomber fans are cruel heartless child-hating drunks.

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

Also, all surveillance video has now been reviewed, and I am sure everyone doesn't need me to tell them what was found. 

thanks for updating this...I know the team has been keeping quiet and taking the high road, but I was legitimately VERY curious about what was found (if anything....)