Incident at Banjo Bowl

Blueballz

The sad fact is that there are lots of people out there who simply want attention and love to be outraged about something and are perfectly willing to embellish a story to make themselves look like a martyr. Those are the types that are quick to get the media involved in every little thing. 

Fwiw, when I first read the story, I also felt like something wasn't right. Definitely not saying that nothing happened, but I wouldn't be shocked if this was really being blown outta the water. If "pouring beer on the kids head" was actually "accidentally spilled a bit of beer on the kid in front of me", It'd be a lot easier to believe. That happens a lot....especially at an event like this.

14 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

This is more believable and a sad incident. No kid should face verbal abuse. That being said I have no idea why you'd run to the media.

I feel like these two incidents are probably a lot closer than the Mothers "story".

Any article you read on CBC is garbage.  They take one side of the story and run with it making it look like one side is super bad and the other is this poor innocent victim.  So take that fwiw.

Either way, picking on a kid is stupid.  Unless the kid started it, then shaming the kid is fully supported.  ;)

But seriously, if the story is true and they did pick on the kid then they're just idiots.

Edit: fyi my comments are related to the first one not the Sun story.

Edited by Logan007

17 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

I don't recall seeing anywhere how much beer was poured on him so he may not have been as soaked as some suggest. But then I got thinking... beer sales end after the 3rd quarter so how much beer could a couple of drunks still have left after the game is over.

I have a beer after every game down by the rum hut.

28 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Any article you read on CBC is garbage.  They take one side of the story and run with it making it look like one side is super bad and the other is this poor innocent victim.  So take that fwiw.

Either way, picking on a kid is stupid.  Unless the kid started it, then shaming the kid is fully supported.  ;)

But seriously, if the story is true and they did pick on the kid then they're just idiots.

Edit: fyi my comments are related to the first one not the Sun story.

That brings up an interesting thing too, when my brother had season tickets for the Stamps there was a family had seasons a few rows down, their kid would always cheer for the visiting team just to be like that. I'm not saying that happened in this case but sometimes kids can be trolls too. 

i doubt this happened, probably a case of a few jeers and accidental spilled beer by drunk idiots rough housing or something beside them.  In the era where people look to get offended at anything for the sake of being offended, things get exaggerated.  An event that big would of been captured on phone 100% by cell phone paparazzi who apparently record every facet of life on their iphones.  That being said if evidence comes through this actually happened then my god i would feel terrible for that family and would send them some movie passes or something as a bomber fan apology.   

21 minutes ago, peggars said:

i doubt this happened, probably a case of a few jeers and accidental spilled beer by drunk idiots rough housing or something beside them.  In the era where people look to get offended at anything for the sake of being offended, things get exaggerated.  An event that big would of been captured on phone 100% by cell phone paparazzi who apparently record every facet of life on their iphones.  That being said if evidence comes through this actually happened then my god i would feel terrible for that family and would send them some movie passes or something as a bomber fan apology.   

A very good point... you would also some randoms going "Worrrrrrrld Staaah".....

I would also imagine that *if* a 9 year old was getting abused from some fans that other Bomber fans would become white knights and kick the crap out of anyone hurting or throwing stuff on a kid.  

I find it very hard to believe nobody would step in and help out.   I remember in the old stadium in the upper decks there would be some random jerks dumping beer over the ledge and those guys were always *handled* quickly by other fans and then the security would follow up and kick them out. 

49 minutes ago, White Out said:

This is more believable and a sad incident. No kid should face verbal abuse. That being said I have no idea why you'd run to the media.

I feel like these two incidents are probably a lot closer than the Mothers "story".

Like i said before, you run to the media to bring awareness to the issue. Its not about getting something free or getting recognition. Its about bringing to light that a few people negatively affected a kids love for the game and stole something from him. That memory will always be there with the kid and will not be a fond memory.  

I majored in conflict resolution in school and  before going through these courses i thought  justice circles etc where a joke and and easy way for offenders to avoid jail time.  But after 3 years of school i came around and saw how offenders meeting and listening to how these incidents and their actions affected the victims made a huge change in these people.  When you see the face of the person and how what you did affects them it hits home. you cant just laugh it off or pretend you don't care. In alot of cases it life changing for the offenders. 

If someone treated my 6 year old son or two year old daughter like **** at any event i will let them know, i will make sure everyone around them knows and bring it to the media.  Just because someone is drunk and having a great time doesnt mean they can attack, belittle or say **** to my kids. Making memories with my kids is just as important for me as it will be for the kids later on and life and some drunk ******* needs to understand that they are hurting someone. 

Look. No one got beat up or hurt and we don't need a lynch mob, but seeing as how the media has picked it up, i'm guessing the culprits have read about it and hopefully spent a few seconds contemplating what they did and how it crushed this kids experience.  If they did, they may never do it again and i think that kinda worth it isn't it?

27 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That brings up an interesting thing too, when my brother had season tickets for the Stamps there was a family had seasons a few rows down, their kid would always cheer for the visiting team just to be like that. I'm not saying that happened in this case but sometimes kids can be trolls too. 

But in this case the kid was bearing a bomber shirt/jersery and put on his green sweater as they were leaving because he was cold.

So unless someone comes up with any other evidence to the contrary, coming up with other reasons or alternative theories for him to have been treated so poorly is really deflecting from what happened.   People can be skepitical all they like but that thats on them for not taking a mother at their own word.. Sometimes its okay to trust what people are telling you. 

So drunk ******* ruined this kids experience after the game because he put on a green sweater. He was wearing a bombers jersery underneath and had been cheering for the bombers.. 

36 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Is that actually interesting? Some kid in another city is annoying, so maybe this kid deserved it...

3 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

Like i said before, you run to the media to bring awareness to the issue. Its not about getting something free or getting recognition. Its about bringing to light that a few people negatively affected a kids love for the game and stole something from him. That memory will always be there with the kid and will not be a fond memory.  

I majored in conflict resolution in school and  before going through these courses i thought  justice circles etc where a joke and and easy way for offenders to avoid jail time.  But after 3 years of school i came around and saw how offenders meeting and listening to how these incidents and their actions affected the victims made a huge change in these people.  When you see the face of the person and how what you did affects them it hits home. you cant just laugh it off or pretend you don't care. In alot of cases it life changing for the offenders. 

If someone treated my 6 year old son or two year old daughter like **** at any event i will let them know, i will make sure everyone around them knows and bring it to the media.  Just because someone is drunk and having a great time doesnt mean they can attack, belittle or say **** to my kids. Making memories with my kids is just as important for me as it will be for the kids later on and life and some drunk ******* needs to understand that they are hurting someone. 

Look. No one got beat up or hurt and we don't need a lynch mob, but seeing as how the media has picked it up, i'm guessing the culprits have read about it and hopefully spent a few seconds contemplating what they did and how it crushed this kids experience.  If they did, they may never do it again and i think that kinda worth it isn't it?

Hey, me too!  UW / Menno Simmons - graduated in 2011.

I agree with you on the bolded part, I just don't think it applies here.  The "victims" (which isn't the preferred conflict res terminology, as we both know) haven't faced their offenders at all. They faced the media and let the media disseminate the story to the masses.  

So here's my thoughts- take them for what they're worth.

A co-worker (season ticket holder) who I would trust to tell the truth had a related issue with another bomber fan and brought it forward to the team. He received an apology for the late call due to the fact they were dealing with "another issue".

After the discussion, it was made clear to him that the women's story had credibility, whether it was from security cameras, people coming forward after the fact, or both. This woman wanted nothing from the team at first.

I have no doubt something regrettable and unacceptable happened, and you can debate how much was embellished, the woman's motivation, choices made etc. It would not surprise me to hear if no one around did nothing. How often do people see traffic accidents and don't stop? It's a human trait to think it's not me, it's someone else's problem, even though they think they would do something.

Edited by itchy

1 minute ago, itchy said:

So here's my thoughts- take them for what they're worth.

A co-worker (season ticket holder) who I would trust to tell the truth had a related issue with another bomber fan and brought it forward to the team. He received an apology for the late call due to the fact they were dealing with "another issue".

After the discussion, it was made clear to him that the women's story had credibility, whether it was from security cameras, people coming forward after the fact, or both. This woman wanted nothing from the team at first.

I have no doubt something regrettable happened, and you can debate how much was embellished, the woman's motivation, choices made etc. It would not surprise me to hear if no one around did nothing. How often do people see traffic accidents and don't stop? It's a human trait to think it's not me, it's someone else's problem, even though they think they would do something.

If you aren't involved, you probably shouldn't be stopping. 

I witnessed a good collision Corydon @ Stafford a couple years ago. Must have been 4 or 5 cars that stopped on either side of the street, some getting out, some staying in. As soon as ONE person is on a cell phone in the area - GTFO. You're in the way of emergency personnel. 

I am having a difficult time reading the comments about this incident. First and foremost the behaviour whatever degree it accelerated to is totally unacceptable and anyone who would argue for it as several here have done simply shows how insignificant they consider another person's rights to attend and enjoy a sporting event. Everyone who attends an event such as this is entitled to safety and freedom of this type of action.

To suggest it is okay and that it isn't the true whole story is not the point; the point is it happened to whatever degree and that is totally unacceptable.

Yes it unfortunate that the security people did not get involved but then again I have been at many games in the past where they never get involved but are simply a presence. When intervention is required they call for the police. But again I digress.

The Blue Bombers advocate drinking and as a result drunks and disruptive behaviour. It is hard to believe they cut off liquor sales after the 3rd quarter yet keep the rum hut over for the "traffic buster" party after the game. Do they believe this will ease the traffic situation, perhaps yes but what about those who are now adding to their drinking and then driving afterwards? Makes me wonder. On their side though they have tried to contain those who are a little more disruptive by putting them in the end zone in one section; used to be section S I believe. So now they can build their beer snake and throw beer on like minded people rather than those who come to watch the game and unfortunately are seated in that section.

I'm sure you think by this that I do not drink.. far from it but I do so responsibly. Many others do the same but unfortunately it is those who simply go to games to get drunk and be disruptive. I guess it is in their nature unfortunately.

If the Blue Bombers want to continue to grow the attendance at their games they have to deal with this type of situation in a more proactive way. Now you will say how, I guess because it is their building they can put in surveillance camera around the stadium. They could also attempt to curtail the drinking somewhat however I'm sure that would result in more negative comments than this post will. Nonetheless the biggest thing that can be done, at least in my opinion, is for the fans to control themselves. Should someone with "sound mind" see such an event unfolding, step in and either attempt to quell the situation or call security. That is perhaps the most simple situation. We are not all obnoxious drunks even though we have our loyalty to the Bombers, we can make a difference. Why leave it to the Bombers etc., we can diffuse a situation quickly especially if we are acting with a group or make the incident obvious to those many around the area.

If we want we can stop this type of action but I guess it is up to each of us to make that decision. Just my opinion

If the Blue Bombers want to continue to grow the attendance at their games they have to deal with this type of situation in a more proactive way. 

That's why it would be helpful to know a little more about how/why the security was not present at either one of the 3/4 incidents the woman and her son had.  Given what we've been presented with, what more were they to do, in advance of these incidents?

Not being a jerk, legit question.

Better training for those selling booze?  More staff & security? 

The Jets have always had an announcement at games giving a number you can text for assistance; disruptive behaviour around you and the like.  Sometime like that here, if not already in place, seems like a good idea. 

22 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Does this crap happen in every stadium, yes it does. Is that a excuse for it happening in yours, no it isn't. Shame on any of you trying to justify or make excuses for this behavior. Completely unacceptable, lifetime ban from the stadium to anyone involved.  

we only take criticisms from people who's stadiums don't feature the infamous urine filled soda cup.

5 minutes ago, LimJahey said:

sort of unrelated to the topic but rider fans just need to understand most of us really just don't even want them here at all.  

That sort of sounds like some posters on the Rider site. I don't agree with them, and I don't agree with your statement. Any teams' fans should be welcome here. And mostly, they are. I want to hear different outlooks, and we should welcome input regarding our own team.

Its all in fun or jest, unless, of course, fools come on the forum. 

But that's rare, and they are readily handled anyways. 

Not to worry.

7 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

That sort of sounds like some posters on the Rider site. I don't agree with them, and I don't agree with your statement. Any teams' fans should be welcome here. And mostly, they are. I want to hear different outlooks, and we should welcome input regarding our own team.

Its all in fun or jest, unless, of course, fools come on the forum. 

But that's rare, and they are readily handled anyways. 

Not to worry.

I meant in our stadium, I want it sold out in Blue and Gold. I don't mind the odd Rider fan on the forum.

Edited by LimJahey