Incident at Banjo Bowl

Blueballz

1 minute ago, tracker said:

If you get 33,000 people together in one place and make booze available, you are going to get this sort of stupidity. Its just the numbers.

You bet. This is not a unique incident of a Winnipeg, or the Blue Bombers. Likely every event with large groups of people and liquor is susceptible to a confrontational act. In fact assaults are possibly common enough at any event with booze. 

Wonder if those assaulting the kid are hockey dads.

well someone ought to be ashamed of doing that to a 9 year old.  I think its just the rider rivalry.  people get fired up (more so vs the riders and with liquor) and can get carried away, I know I have lol.  But I've gone to games vs the ticats with my boy wearing a ticat jacket and people haven't been disrespectful,  tho I'd probably crack em in the face if they were talking **** to my kid. but thats just me

So the CBC article actually gives some more detail than CTV (or OP) bothered to provide.

I thought maybe (hoped) it was more isolated with knuckleheads in the seats. Seems like it was several different people / groups of people all throughout the stadium. Even worse and surely not a good look for us fans.

"Then he started saying like super mean things about me being large and he said 'why don't you go on the weight training, go train with the Riders and maybe they'll play better next time!'

"And then my son yells back, 'We live here!' and I was so proud of him for screaming that," Emond said.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/manitoba/banjo-bowl-fan-beer-son-1.3758916

People can be such jerks. What benefit is there for actions such as this? And not to deflect from this incident, but I had my car windows smashed in Regina for the football game for no particular reason. I didn't even have anything in my car. No bodily harm or anything but a total "you've got to be kidding me" moment.

Edited by Judd

15 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

You bet. This is not a unique incident of a Winnipeg, or the Blue Bombers. Likely every event with large groups of people and liquor is susceptible to a confrontational act. In fact assaults are possibly common enough at any event with booze. 

Wonder if those assaulting the kid are hockey dads.

These are the same people who over-drink, throw trash around, squeal tires and blare their stereos. Evolution doesn't work at the same speed for everyone.

I heard about this and I hope the culprit is found and is banned permanently from ever attending another game. I don't care if it is a 9 year old kid or a middle aged fan from Saskatchewan nobody deserves to be treated like that. It s disgraceful an I am ashamed it happened in our park.

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

Why go straight to the media with this story?  It always annoys me when people do that. Why not give the team a chance to make it right before you opt for the public shaming? 

No way.  Glad they went to the media. The guy deserves to be publicly shamed at Portage & Main.

Drunken Bomber fans can be assholes, no question about it. But something about this story doesn't add up. Going after a nine year old kid? Maybe one drunken moron would do it, but to have multiple people go after the kid? I just can't see it.

Maybe I am giving people too much credit, I don't know. I certainly have witnessed some extreme jack hole behavior, but never against a kid.

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

So what's the whole story. Thought it was dad and his son now it's mom and her son? Did they pour beer on him on purpose or was it accidental? 

It's unfortunate and I hope igf has security cameras or something and these people are caught banned and completely embarrassed. But what's the whole story? Everything I've read from ctv to cjob to cbc to sportsnet has a bit different variation to tge the story 

41 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

No way.  Glad they went to the media. The guy deserves to be publicly shamed at Portage & Main.

Yup yup.  If they didn't go to the media (it was on 1290 call in show) then we wouldn't be talking about it and no one would know.   It needs to be shared across social media so they culprits are at least aware of how they affected this poor kid.   People won't change until they are confronted with the guilt and knowledge that their action crushed someone.   

I bet these people probably don't even remember doing it or they do and think it was funny and cool. I've been to afternoon Saturday games and taken the bus home and people are passed out on the bus at 5pm. They probably were either to drunk or to stupid to remember or care 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Drunken Bomber fans can be assholes, no question about it. But something about this story doesn't add up. Going after a nine year old kid? Maybe one drunken moron would do it, but to have multiple people go after the kid? I just can't see it.

Maybe I am giving people too much credit, I don't know. I certainly have witnessed some extreme jack hole behavior, but never against a kid.

Yah, I don't buy it.  Three separate incidents of abuse and no one stood up for them or witnessed it and security was nowhere to be found?  She makes it sound like everybody in the stadium was out to get them,