Incident at Banjo Bowl

Blueballz

Read online about this man who took his 9 year old son to his first Bomber game. When leaving, his son who happened to be wearing a green sweatshirt,  Bomber shirt underneath, was sworn at and beer thrown at him.

Someone even pushed him and told him to "get the F out of here" and "to go back where he came from". Yet the kid is from Winnipeg.

Such disgusting behavior, shame some had to ruin what should have been a great experience. 

A few weeks ago I saw a large young guy at the grocery. I asked him if he followed football, and which team....

He said, "I'm almost afraid to say" .... I said riders, he said yes. He was from Saskatchewan.

Rivalry has gone too far, mostly it seems to me,  from the Winnipeg side.

Edited by Mark F

it's kind of odd for you to just assume it's one of the die hard fans who would do something so deplorable... in my experience (winnipeg and regina) it's the diehard fans that are the most respectful... it's the fringe fans that just go to one game (usually the banjo bowl) to get drunk and yell at opposing fans... again, very strange conclusion for you to jump to...

I wasn't at the game. But games I have been 2 in the past... there's always a few idiots talking crap to people. Let's call it liquid courage. I remember a specific game... it was against Edmonton maybe 2 years ago... Edmonton handed it to us... it was bad...after the game I see some people.... I'd say my parents age or just about and they have Esks jerseys on... Steele on the back. I'm like oh hey cool that's dudes parents actually. Few drunken morons walk up to them... they were probably in their early 20s .. and scream a profanity laced tirade talking total **** about Steele and even shoved his dad. It was ridiculous and made me embarrassed to be a bomber fan. We just got **** kicked and these ppl are talking **** to this guys parents and family.  

While I don't necessarily think these people are off these sites... just based on experiences in the past that I've seen it's always younger ones so it wouldn't surprise me. That's all. 

But before this spins out of control and off topic of these dbags... let me be clear that if they are... it's irrelevant. 

19 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Idiot drunks ruining things for kids. These people should be outed somehow and be forced to be embarrassed.  The pathetic part in all this is its probably people who go on one of the bombers sites 

This is a weird thing to say.

If you want to play the odds of 33,000 people in attendance, and compare that to daily unique visitors, then it is not someone from this site.  

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

While I don't necessarily think these people are off these sites... just based on experiences in the past that I've seen it's always younger ones so it wouldn't surprise me. That's all. 

But before this spins out of control and off topic of these dbags... let me be clear that if they are... it's irrelevant. 

In my time as a season ticket holder I find middle aged men to be involved just as much as younger guys.

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Suggesting the idiot might be one on any Bomber site hardly makes it irrelevant as we are all lumped by the insinuation.  I still say the people here are gentle people who can talk trash with the best but would help any Rider fans should they need it.

20 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I would suggest message boards skew older than younger. It's old tech. The kids today are on twitters or whatever else they have.

This happens everywhere it's nothing new. Like someone said before it's liquid courage/foolishness.

I've seen this everywhere.

As for message board posters.. I remember on ob.com when one moron screamed during the moment of silence because he thought it was a good way to get the fans going.

Edited by Brandon

29 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

In my time as a season ticket holder I find middle aged men to be involved just as much as younger guys.

yeah my one Jets game I go to last year and I get jumped by this guy....

len-kropioski.png

anyone recognize him?  I didn't get his name, just felt my face headbutt his fist a few times...

Someone always has to ruin it for the rest of us... sadly these incidents are likely more common than they used to be. I love my Bombers and feel I paid for my right to be loud, enjoy the game and cheer on the Blue and Gold, even some kind-hearted jabs at away team fans, but never to this extent.

At the end of the day though, it's entertainment and it could be a Riders, Bombers or Montreal Expos fan for all I care everyone deserves a basic level of decency and respect from their fellow fans.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

A few weeks ago I saw a large young guy at the grocery. I asked him if he followed football, and which team....

He said, "I'm almost afraid to say" .... I said riders, he said yes. He was from Saskatchewan.

Rivalry has gone too far, mostly it seems to me,  from the Winnipeg side.

It's far worse for Winnipeg fans who travel to Regina.  While this is an ugly incident, I've never heard of Bomber fans jumping and attacking Rider fans and I've seen Rider fans jump Bomber fans without provocation out of nowhere in Regina.  As in a mugging.

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

it's kind of odd for you to just assume it's one of the die hard fans who would do something so deplorable... in my experience (winnipeg and regina) it's the diehard fans that are the most respectful... it's the fringe fans that just go to one game (usually the banjo bowl) to get drunk and yell at opposing fans... again, very strange conclusion for you to jump to...

Downright strange, indeed.

I'd almost bet that it wasn't even fans per se, it's just rowdies showing up for the first time this season causing trouble, not Forum members or probably even season ticket holders. I know my section wouldn't stand for that behaviour. You'd look at the same people in the eye this Saturday after berating a child last week?

The Bombers have security for a reason. Where they involved? Mom say anything? CTV not bother to ask? I find that odd. I'm 28 and I don't think I'd have an issue narcing out someone who purposely dumped a beer on me, coupled with the other crap.

Good on the Bombers for making it right... And hopefully mom and son do go back to IGF..and have a GREAT time!