Grey Cup Halftime Show Announced

Goalie

11 minutes ago, basslicker said:

Country pretty much no longer exists.  I'm no fan but I know a decent amount about the genre.  Most of it is auto-tuned country-pop (heavy on the pop)  Even when a new artist like Lee Brice comes out, he eventually turns pop....just like Luke Bryan did.

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear I wrote this myself.....

7 minutes ago, basslicker said:

"Known"

I would take that as a recognized mainstream-ish band that the populace acknowledges as a great musician.

See, you're never going to get that kind of recognition of a single guitar player or something like that anymore.  Pre-2000, sure, everyone was familiar with certain bands.  But now, the selection is so varied that there are very few bands that "everyone" knows, and even fewer individuals.

I can point to a guy like John Frusciante (formerly of Red Hot Chili Peppers) as a great guitarist, but how many people specifically know who he is?  It's a different world now.  There are no more Eric Claptons because you will never get people to agree on such a wide scale... because again, the selection is just too huge.

13 minutes ago, Atomic said:

See, you're never going to get that kind of recognition of a single guitar player or something like that anymore.  Pre-2000, sure, everyone was familiar with certain bands.  But now, the selection is so varied that there are very few bands that "everyone" knows, and even fewer individuals.

I can point to a guy like John Frusciante (formerly of Red Hot Chili Peppers) as a great guitarist, but how many people specifically know who he is?  It's a different world now.  There are no more Eric Claptons because you will never get people to agree on such a wide scale... because again, the selection is just too huge.

The two genres that have the most talented guitarists (and musicians in general) ?

Jazz and Metal

3 minutes ago, basslicker said:

The two genres that have the most talented guitarists (and musicians in general) ?

Jazz and Metal

Right, and that's a pretty limited subset of today's music.  I could name a handful of great metal guitarists, like Paul Waggoner, but nobody is going to know who the hell they are.

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Right, and that's a pretty limited subset of today's music.  I could name a handful of great metal guitarists, like Paul Waggoner, but nobody is going to know who the hell they are.

let's not sell Bluegrass short.....some of the greatest musicians of all time, like Earl and Randy Scruggs, Ricky Skaggs and Marty Stuart.....

Edited by Noeller

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I could make a list of 20 at least that are world class....but like you said.....who would know them?
Popular music isn't about talent.  Metal is overflowing with amazing talent, whether I personally like BTBAM or not. hehehe

Edited by basslicker

33 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Don't watch halftime of either the Grey Cup or Super Bowl that being said don't know who they are, I must be old. 

33 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Don't watch halftime of either the Grey Cup or Super Bowl that being said don't know who they are, I must be old. 

You're not old until you are afraid to buy green bananas and only buy underwear one at a time because one might be enough.

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

Can anyone name a known band now who plays a guitar? Outside of country, everything else is auto tuned BS 

I like many genres of music, but most of what I listen to has lots of good guitar playing. (Not that a guitar instantly makes music good -- such a strange idea.)

Just sticking with local festivals, some of the acts headlining the last couple years at Winnipeg Folk Festival and Interstellar Rodeo are fairly big names with various versions of rock/folk/blues/roots instrumentation: Ryan Adams, Wilco, Whitehorse, Sam Roberts, The Head and the Heart, The Strumbellas, Jason Isbell, Dan Mangan, Shakey Graves, Bahamas, Hawksley Workman, and Serena Ryder (who's already done a half time show). A local act like Royal Canoe would also be super entertaining, but they definitely aren't big enough for that kind of thing yet, given the purpose of a half time show. Same goes for the Bros. Landreth.

I think Whitehorse would be my pick to keep it Canadian and also put on just a spectacular rock 'n roll show. If you don't know them (Winnipegger Luke Doucet is half of the duo), check them out, and you'll realize there's lots of good music out there doing pretty well without traditional radio support.

https://youtu.be/ip-SjbnHfHw?t=1m23s

7 hours ago, ediger said:

Agreed. Can't count on radio to introduce you to good new music. They're all run by parent companies who's parent company owns a major label or whatever, so you're just going to hear whatever they want to sell. All that payola stuff from the early days of rock'n'roll? That's just how **** works now. DJs (outside of campus radio) don't have any freedom to play what they want.

For good music you gotta hang out in the bars. Not the ones with a bunch of dudes doing the same set of classic rock covers but places like the Windsor or The Handsome Daughter or Times Changed that book bands playing original music. You'll probably see some gawd awful groups, but you'll also see some stuff that's way better than anything on the radio these days.

The amount of great local ROCK music being made in Winnipeg alone right now is ridiculous. And people are going to the shows. In the 20 years or so I've been a part of the local live music scene, I've never seen so much broad (and regular) support for local live music. Running a venue for 2.5 years (and still producing some shows over the last year) has introduced me to so many bands. It's not just being recognized locally, either -- campus radio and CBC and satellite radio are playing the hell out of these bands and artists, and for good reason.

The Daughter, Times, the Good Will, the Windsor (and hopefully my place when we get it up and running again) are filled with really good musicianship and phenomenal singers of every genre.

17 hours ago, basslicker said:

Jazz and Metal

Completely agree... love the show tonic on CBC R2 in the evenings... and I always comment to people who hate metal about how phenomenally talented the musicians are...

@comedygeek excellent posts... I would have quoted both but they were just too perfect to comment on any further... so many great local/canadian bands just flowing with talent and creativity... which venue do you manage?

Edited by bearpants

12 hours ago, comedygeek said:

The amount of great local ROCK music being made in Winnipeg alone right now is ridiculous. And people are going to the shows. In the 20 years or so I've been a part of the local live music scene, I've never seen so much broad (and regular) support for local live music. Running a venue for 2.5 years (and still producing some shows over the last year) has introduced me to so many bands. It's not just being recognized locally, either -- campus radio and CBC and satellite radio are playing the hell out of these bands and artists, and for good reason.

The Daughter, Times, the Good Will, the Windsor (and hopefully my place when we get it up and running again) are filled with really good musicianship and phenomenal singers of every genre.

Tangentially related to this tangent, I have to tip the hat to MTS for their recent trend of using local acts to provide the music in their commercials.

On 2016-09-08 at 8:31 AM, bearpants said:

Completely agree... love the show tonic on CBC R2 in the evenings... and I always comment to people who hate metal about how phenomenally talented the musicians are...

@comedygeek excellent posts... I would have quoted both but they were just too perfect to comment on any further... so many great local/canadian bands just flowing with talent and creativity... which venue do you manage?

Mr Dee pointed you in the right direction. Haha. But yes, it was a weird hole-in-the-wall called The Purple Room -- but bands seemed to love playing there. We're currently trying to turn it into a not-hole-in-the-wall, but in the meantime I run events all over.

Tonic is great. And agreed about metal (used to be a huge metalhead, especially progressive metal, which is filled with talent).

It'll be cool if we see some of these local/national acts get to the point where the CFL feels it can promote some of the good music being made out there with a high-profile gig like the half-time show. Though, as I've said, I totally 100% get why the pick acts that have some non-football-fan appeal.