Chris Jones Post Game

rebusrankin

I'm paraphrasing here but when asked about the PI at the end of the game, Jones said that he didn't want to comment because he's already been fined for doing something every other team does and he didn't want to be fined another 25k.

What an arrogant ******.

http://www.riderville.com/2016/09/04/coach-jones-post-game-media-3/

At the 4 minute mark.

Edited by rebusrankin

Flagrant roster violations, boneheaded player personnel decisions, blown challenges INTs, missed FGS and PATs are minor details and will not be allowed to make Jones and team look bad.

Riders are victims.

It is now official team policy until otherwise notified.

Thank you for your cooperation

Won't suggest for a second that we didn't benefit greatly from that call .. but I tend to look at it as the universe balancing itself out; a check in the right side of the ledger instead of a phone call from the league to say, "I'm sorry".

That it came at the Riders expense is only icing on the cake.

3 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Flagrant roster violations, boneheaded player personnel decisions, blown challenges INTs, missed FGS and PATs are minor details and will not be allowed to make Jones and team look bad.

Riders are victims.

It is now official team policy until otherwise notified.

Thank you for your cooperation

Frigging Jones. He must be ready to explode. Karma's a *****...

9 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Won't suggest for a second that we didn't benefit greatly from that call .. but I tend to look at it as the universe balancing itself out; a check in the right side of the ledger instead of a phone call from the league to say, "I'm sorry".

That it came at the Riders expense is only icing on the cake.

Hard to judge that play, I certainly didn't see it clearly and don't believe TSN took the time to show it from different angles.  For people eager to throw away the video replay and challenges they will have to live with the officials original calls both good and bad.

9 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Hard to judge that play, I certainly didn't see it clearly and don't believe TSN took the time to show it from different angles.  For people eager to throw away the video replay and challenges they will have to live with the officials original calls both good and bad.

I think the biggest problem with the call is that a similar type of handfighting with the Bombers defending was reviewed and called NOT pass interference earlier in the game. So it's the inconsistency.

Having said that, inconsistent calls have hurt and benefited every single team in this league. A few seasons ago, the Bombers had TWO official apologies in ONE SEASON from the league on reffing mistakes that literally cost us the game. So I feel that it's about time one went our way.

You didn't see Rider fans complaining when it seemed the league bent over backwards to promote the Riders as "Canada's team" and it seemed they more often than not got the benefit of the doubt in late-game close calls. But since -- thanks to Jones and Pedersen -- they've adopted this "conspiracy" idea, it's all they can talk about.

I do think the league needs to really make some improvements on both rules and officiating (especially with consistency of both), but that doesn't mean there's some kind of conspiracy against the Riders, nor does it mean that suddenly because the Riders have had 2 horrible seasons in a row that the league is suddenly the worst sports league in the world. That's such a childish attitude to take, and the team is damn lucky they're opening a new stadium next year, because with how whiny some of the "greatest fans in the CFL" are getting, I think that new facility is the only thing that will keep attendance up for them next year. (And, as we know from experience here in Winnipeg, that honeymoon period wears off pretty fast unless the team starts putting some Ws on the board.)

Jones = Mike Kelly attitude + Tim Burke's onfield results.

Etch turning up this week as a Rider defensive "consultant" was yet another Jones/Kelly parallel. Kelly tried to be a GM, head coach, and unit coordinator as well, but eventually he figured out he couldn't do it and Manny Matsakis parachuted in to run the O.  Be interesting to see if Etch hangs around or moves into a full-time role with them.

Has anyone ever been GM, head coach, and a unit coordinator successfully in the CFL?  Maybe Pinball Clemons? I think he was both president of the Argos and its starting tailback at one point...

Edited by johnzo

my old college coach used to say "blaming a loss on a bad call or one play against you means you clearly didnt do enough to win in the other 59 minutes (or in my sports case, 39 minutes) of the game and deserve the loss".  Riders didnt do enough to clearly win and Jones's whining and rivers of rider fan tears need to stop. 

Yup. Let's not talk about turnovers or losing challenges on stupid plays...  or ignore your QB throwing interceptions or turning the ball over on stupid 3rd down gambles .... let's talk about 1 play in a game that had over 100 

Can I talk about the 2 TDS the bombers dropped or ?? No cuz that's not a rider conspiracy right 

leaving a game up to chance is called "losing" in my books.  Winning means not allowing any possibility for luck or a bad call to factor into the result.  I still dont like Osh as a head coach (although he appears to be a complete stand up human being) but am so thankful we have him over a megalomaniac with no personal accountability.  Osh is the first to say its his fault, that gets my respect. 

Edited by peggars

25 minutes ago, comedygeek said:

I think the biggest problem with the call is that a similar type of handfighting with the Bombers defending was reviewed and called NOT pass interference earlier in the game. So it's the inconsistency.

The call was consistent. The one not called PI was hand-fighting pure and simple. On the last PI the defender clutched the arm of Dressler and used it to pull himself through. I agree with Climie on Sportscentre that it was PI. I called it as the play happened. I wasn't sure on one replay but watching it again he the Sask player clearly clutched Dressler's arm. They have called that all year.

As for Jones' comment, he was right not to comment wrong about the fine and wrong in implying that other teams get away with commenting on officiating. They don't. (For example, Bowman was fined for his post-game comments after the game last week). 

11 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

The call was consistent. The one not called PI was hand-fighting pure and simple. On the last PI the defender clutched the arm of Dressler and used it to pull himself through. I agree with Climie on Sportscentre that it was PI. I called it as the play happened. I wasn't sure on one replay but watching it again he the Sask player clearly clutched Dressler's arm. They have called that all year.

As for Jones' comment, he was right not to comment wrong about the fine and wrong in implying that other teams get away with commenting on officiating. They don't. (For example, Bowman was fined for his post-game comments after the game last week). 

I didn't get a chance to watch the replay until after I posted what I posted (I watched it live on a phone screen, and at that size and with Suitor/Cuthbert saying it just seemed like basic hand-fighting, I took it as such). Since I have now, I agree.

Also, I think Jones was referring to the roster fines he/the team received when he said he's fined for things other teams aren't. (He's wrong on that, too, of course!)