Bomber offense

Old Bomber Fan

12 minutes ago, comedygeek said:

I think we ABSOLUTELY need to be better in the red zone (13 FGs in 2 games is not a very healthy stat), but I don't think it really comes down to playcalling for the most part, but execution. They definitely went deep way more than the TD pass -- a few mid-level completions, a few misses for sure (including in the end zone), and a nice grab by Sheppard on a long throw that he was just out of bounds on.

Really, though, we should've scored more when we were close, and it really does come down to execution for me. Sheppard had a catchable drop in the end zone, Dressler had his hands on the ball twice in the end zone, and Harris barely stepped out of bounds on the 10 rather than getting us 1st and goal from the 3. That's just the obvious misses when in scoring range.

I've been debating on Twitter and with my friend via text post-game about what can fix the red zone issues. Is it players? Will Adams and Smith make things better? Would Willy be a better red zone QB than Nichols? In general, I do think that the current roster can right the ship -- Nichols' throws were very accurate all game -- and make the adjustments and change their red zone fortune, since they were very good at taking advantage of good field position in the Edmonton and Hamilton wins.

just curious, which part of the field do you consider the red zone?

11 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

just curious, which part of the field do you consider the red zone?

It's within the 25, is it not? We were there 3 times (Medlock had field goals of 18, 25, and 29 yards). We should've converted to TDs, and had missed opportunities to do so.

The Bombers were 50% going into the game in red zone production (after being 0/3 today, that number will drop). Cuthbert or Suitor mentioned near the start of the game that the elite teams in the league are all around 70%.

It needs to get better.

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

Gotta agree great win 5 in a row lots of things going our way but there is definitely room for improvement.

There will always be room for improvement but we went from 1-4 to 6-4  and won our first LDC in 12 years. If it's working keep the toolbox at home. We have some decent mechanics that are paid to tweak as needed. It's hard to understand why we are even discussing this today of all days and when we were 4-0 in takeaways. To each his own I guess.

Edited by LeBird

Red zone percentages (before this week's games) courtesy of cflmedia.ca:

TOR: 72% (13/18)
MON: 67% (16/24)
HAM: 56% (13/23)
CAL: 55% (18/33)
EDM: 55% (16/29)
BC:  53% (18/34)
WPG: 50% (13/26)
OTT: 46% (12/28)
SSK: 41% (9/22)

Interesting that, aside from the Roughriders, there isn't a super strong correlation between record and red zone percentage.  The top three red zone teams are all under .500.  Meanwhile, Calgary and BC and Ottawa have middling red zone percentage, but they get there more often than the teams that trail them,so they don't have to convert as often and can still be successful.

Also interesting, the Blue Bombers' opponents' red zone success (before this week) was a whopping 73.7% (14/19).  But teams so rarely get into our red zone that their success rate isn't so important.

Edited by johnzo

Winnipeg is no different than any other team. You take what the defence gives you if they want to give you the stuff underneath you make them pay. When they come in to cover short go over the top. Most teams now are throwing 3-15 yard passes for the most part because of the team speed that allows them to close fast and play of the line to prevent the home run ball. I don't care how they get down the field as long as they get down the field.

Would I like to see more long ball? Sure. IS it essential in winning these days? Absolutely not.

My concern is that their red zone production has dropped the last three games. They need to start working in something different because what they are doing now isn't working. I think it would be a good time to give Davis and Willy some work. This team isn't going to be blowing away many teams and so to give Willy and Davis some work they need to work in the odd package designed for the two back-ups. I would hate to see a scenario like 2007  play out again where the coach had the chance to get the back-ups playing time but stuck with the starter.

2 hours ago, comedygeek said:

It's within the 25, is it not? We were there 3 times (Medlock had field goals of 18, 25, and 29 yards). We should've converted to TDs, and had missed opportunities to do so.

The Bombers were 50% going into the game in red zone production (after being 0/3 today, that number will drop). Cuthbert or Suitor mentioned near the start of the game that the elite teams in the league are all around 70%.

It needs to get better.

I believe this was discussed a couple of weeks ago, but the generally accepted definition of the red zone is inside the 20 yard line.

See Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_zone_(gridiron_football))

52 minutes ago, Sard said:

I believe this was discussed a couple of weeks ago, but the generally accepted definition of the red zone is inside the 20 yard line.

See Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_zone_(gridiron_football))

Not sure why I thought it was 25. Thanks for the correction (hope I remember in the future).

In any case, that's 2 trips into the red zone and another just on the outskirts. (Plus a few more inside the 40.) It still stands that we need to do better across midfield.

On 9/4/2016 at 8:36 PM, Super Duper Negatron said:

One more to go...

can't wait, though watching Calgary today I don't think they are going to lose another game all year.  Good coaching, good D, good O, good ST.  Good everything.  They are essentially unbeatable right now, kind of reminding me of the 1981 Eskimos.

Edited by kelownabomberfan