Lawless says there is trade market for Willy

Mike

The Year Of The Cat was 2015. The Collaros injury robbed them of a Grey Cup victory. They were killing teams at home & were just playing outstanding football. When Collaros went down that was the end of it. Took the wind out of their sails. That & the fact their backup qbs suck & still do.

9 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Sometimes teams are mediocre because of the QB tho. Football and hockey man. .. the 2 sports where 1 guy can make the difference between being a playoff team or not... QB and Goaltending. Lots of similarities there 

Goaltending used to be, not anymore. Most Stanley Cup champs are capable of winning with average goaltending - and they do. 

17 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Goaltending used to be, not anymore. Most Stanley Cup champs are capable of winning with average goaltending - and they do. 

plenty of teams have won grey cups with inferior qbs to the opposition too. Even more so in the nfl, and ncaa. Qbing isnt remotely close to the impact on a team that the pitcher has in baseball. A goalie in hockey has a larger impact as well, they are on the ice the whole game, at any point in time the play could flip and bring a short handed rush down to their end. 2 on 1 even great goalies are in trouble. You cant compare football and hockey because of that. They play both ways, same with basketball. And baseball has 0 contact. Football isnt comparable to any sport. 

My two cents...

I was a big Willy believer until this year. He looked uncertain and unable to make plays. Yes, he did not play behind our best o-line combination but I'm not convinced it would have made a big difference. I'm a real believer in the idea that as one area improves, it improves the other areas. I think Nicholls has had a positive impact on the performance of the o-line and the better the offense has played, the defense has been even better.

That said, I will miss Willy-peg but still believe this is the best move for both sides.

Edited by JCon
Fixed typo

11 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I don't follow Gary Lawless, but it's obvious now, that he's got some good connections.

the evolution of Lawless has been fascinating.  At least the "he's fat" stuff has died off.  But he still takes a licking online in some circles.  He's very much a "smoke/fire" guy and you can often learn a lot by reading between the lines.  Has to be considered one of the more respected TSN guys as far as his information and analysis goes.

2 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Didn't Bob Irving tweet something along the lines of 'Drew Willy isn't going anywhere this season, end of story' like 2 or 3 days ago? Not sure that qualifies as calling it.

Well, he must feel silly.  When Lawless first said there was a trade market, Irving said it was TO that had called about Willy.

4 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I had to check to be sure... he appears to have deleted the tweet, but some twitterers (twits?) are giving him flak for it. I don't think we imagined it.

Funny story: I found that tweet and posted it here. Less than 5 minutes after that, I happened to notice it was deleted. I was talking to 17to85 on FB chat and told him about it and he says "just watch, Walters saw that and said 'ehhhhhhh might wanna pull that one, Bob...'"  And wouldn't you know..... 

12 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I had to check to be sure... he appears to have deleted the tweet, but some twitterers (twits?) are giving him flak for it. I don't think we imagined it.

Irving tweeted.  What is it with more Drew Willy speculation.  Once and for all Drew Willy is NOT going anywhere this season - end of story.