Lawless says there is trade market for Willy

Mike

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Glad that post started the way it did, saved you a bit of face.  I'm not going to defend Lawless 'cuz he certainly has deserved criticism in the past - but not for what you suggest. He's an Ontaria guy, for one. So, no not a pegger.  And whether it's true or not, he's always talked about how a big part of his job is not being a fan & not cheering for any team. Would he rather see us win and be playing well....playoffs etc.  Well, sure. Makes his job more fun.  But lumping him in to the Rod Pedersen level of journalism is unfair & unfounded.   

Who is lumping people in?  Pederson is not a journalist, he is a radio personality for the Riders. What he writes is not intended to be open minded. He represents the Riders and what is good for the Riders. Lawless works for TSN, its a little different.

Well the main difference between lawless and Pederson Is lawless doesn't always try to blow smoke up people's asses where Pederson... yeah that's all he does. Lawless and I'm not the biggest fan of his ... is a respected Journalist if you will with quite a few sources around different leagues. Pederson is basically a hack blogger 

I guess ... lawless is bob Mckenzie and Pederson Is Eklund 

Edited by Goalie

I think it would be monumentally stupid to even consider trading or cutting Drew Willy without giving him a chance to play behind this OL. However, he needs to fix his brain and learn to trust his OL. Early in the season, what we saw was not a QB making poor reads or not understanding the offence. What we saw was a guy who has been a human piñata, coming off a near career ending injury, showing shellshock and not showing confidence in the team around him. After several games on the bench, and witnessing Matt Nichols get protected behind a revamped OL, I think Willy's confidence would be night and day different. I think he is a much better QB than Nichols when his confidence level is high. I would like to see if he can find it again before we throw him away.

I would just like to add that those who can't see the difference in the level of play between the OL, D, and even STs from earlier this season are just being obtuse imo. The difference is HUGE.

Edited by gcn11

23 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

I think it would be monumentally stupid to even consider trading or cutting Drew Willy without giving him a chance to play behind this OL. However, he needs to fix his brain and learn to trust his OL. Early in the season, what we saw was not a QB making poor reads or not understanding the offence. What we saw was a guy who has been a human piñata, coming off a near career ending injury, showing shellshock and not showing confidence in the team around him. After several games on the bench, and witnessing Matt Nichols get protected behind a revamped OL, I think Willy's confidence would be night and day different. I think he is a much better QB than Nichols when his confidence level is high. I would like to see if he can find it again before we throw him away.

I would just like to add that those who can't see the difference in the level of play between the OL, D, and even STs from earlier this season are just being obtuse imo. The difference is HUGE.

I agree that Willy is more talented than Nichols. You can't however switch players and expect the same results. Whether anyone likes it or not, the team believes in Nichols and is rallying around him. He isn't forcing it and isn't turning the ball over. He isn't hanging on to the ball too long. A lot easier to block for someone like that and I believe that is why the Oline all the sudden is night and day better. They know they only have to block for a few seconds and the ball will be gone which leads to less holding calls. Lapolice is calling plays that see Nichols being successful. The team believes Nichols will keep them in it and give them a chance to win, and it is infectious. Doesn't mean Willy will never play again but at this point Nichols took Drew's lunch money and his job and is making the most of it. It is my opinion that all the other facets of the team are playing better because Nichols is in there.   

47 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Who is lumping people in?  Pederson is not a journalist, he is a radio personality for the Riders. What he writes is not intended to be open minded. He represents the Riders and what is good for the Riders. Lawless works for TSN, its a little different.

Is that really his job, or just what he does? There is a difference. He should come over to Winnipeg and learn how being the voice of a football team should be done. Doesn't mean you have to come up with your own version of the truth. People think Pederson is a joke,,,because he is a joke.

2 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I agree that Willy is more talented than Nichols. You can't however switch players and expect the same results. Whether anyone likes it or not, the team believes in Nichols and is rallying around him. He isn't forcing it and isn't turning the ball over. He isn't hanging on to the ball too long. A lot easier to block for someone like that and I believe that is why the Oline all the sudden is night and day better. They know they only have to block for a few seconds and the ball will be gone which leads to less holding calls. Lapolice is calling plays that see Nichols being successful. The team believes Nichols will keep them in it and give them a chance to win, and it is infectious. Doesn't mean Willy will never play again but at this point Nichols took Drew's lunch money and his job and is making the most of it. It is my opinion that all the other facets of the team are playing better because Nichols is in there.   

If you think the improvement of the OL was psychological and suddenly Lapo's play calling became better you are out to lunch. It had to do with bringing in a stud of an OL in Travis Bond, kicking Hardrick out to RT instead of OG where he struggled immensely but at RT he gave Chungh a crap load more support than Neufeld. I could buy into your theory that the OL believed in Nichols more, if the difference in run blocking weren't so spectacularly different. They have always believed in Harris. Improvement came through personnel change.

24 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

If you think the improvement of the OL was psychological and suddenly Lapo's play calling became better you are out to lunch. It had to do with bringing in a stud of an OL in Travis Bond, kicking Hardrick out to RT instead of OG where he struggled immensely but at RT he gave Chungh a crap load more support than Neufeld. I could buy into your theory that the OL believed in Nichols more, if the difference in run blocking weren't so spectacularly different. They have always believed in Harris. Improvement came through personnel change.

I'll agree about Hardrick, always liked him, but you guys weren't running the ball earlier because in games you were losing by halftime. Teams tend to go away from running the ball when losing. You are running the ball more now because you are either winning or very close in games. It opens the playbook up a lot. Sports is very much a streaky psychological thing. The Bombers are playing with a lot of heart and are not afraid of making a mistake out there. What's changed?  MOS is all the sudden a better coach than the one you guys wanted fired 5 weeks ago?  Nichols is what's changed.

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

Fair comparison would be bob irving. 

However, his appearances on cfl.ca and media in other cities begs the differ. Is there some one in another city like pederson making a living off the same type of work? With the same lack of objectivity?

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

qb>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ni starter in the cfl. 

Would you like to trade darian durant for rory kohlert? 

LOL.. Don't compare Willy to Durant unless you are joking. Muamba is a little better than Kohlert also wouldn't you say.  If Willy was going to be the starter maybe you would have a argument. I would think we can all agree that Muamba is a very good player and no one would trade him for a backup qb making huge money. 

11 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yeah I realized it was kind of silly to ask you that question given the time that has past, but thanks for humoring me anyway.  I'm an aviation buff, so like to hear stories about old planes. 

Quite alright, KBF. The reason I said I believe I flew  CP Air was because I liked the look of their planes (logo on the tail, etc) back then plus they advertised heavily on CBC & CTV being a major sponsor of CFL games. That & the fact the Air Canada overhaul base was moved from Winnipeg to Montreal in 1968. It hurt Winnipeg's economy & Winnipeggers still had very bad feelings back then that Pierre Elliott Trudeau screwed us & the West when the announcement was made to great fanfare in Quebec & shock in Winnipeg. It would have made sense for me back then to fly CP Air just to say stick it, Air Canada.

Edited by iso_55

5 hours ago, Ripper said:

LOL.. Don't compare Willy to Durant unless you are joking. Muamba is a little better than Kohlert also wouldn't you say.  If Willy was going to be the starter maybe you would have a argument. I would think we can all agree that Muamba is a very good player and no one would trade him for a backup qb making huge money. 

starting ni to qb. Durant backs up on 5 teams in the league easy. Durants certainly better then nichols or willy. But a sub mid tier qb who cant stay healthy is a good back up or a worry some starter. 

Muamba has hardly played and mtl cut him dont forget for cap saving. He may have once been an elite LB but he'd have to prove that he still is. Plenty of guys have short flashes in the pan, he certainly did play elite in mtl. 

Willy/nichols would start on the same teams in the league as durant, unless they were on the same team as durant. In which case theyd be waiting for boos and or an injury. 

39 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

starting ni to qb. Durant backs up on 5 teams in the league easy. Durants certainly better then nichols or willy. But a sub mid tier qb who cant stay healthy is a good back up or a worry some starter. 

Muamba has hardly played and mtl cut him dont forget for cap saving. He may have once been an elite LB but he'd have to prove that he still is. Plenty of guys have short flashes in the pan, he certainly did play elite in mtl. 

Willy/nichols would start on the same teams in the league as durant, unless they were on the same team as durant. In which case theyd be waiting for boos and or an injury. 

Name 5 qbs that start ahead of Durant. This should be good..   Bit off more than you can chew with that comment

34 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Mitchell, Reilly, Collaros, Jennings, Ray, Harris are easy.  That's 6.

Mitchell is likely the best qb in the league at the moment. Reilly and likely Collaros but he is debatable.  So IMHO there are 2 for sure guys that start ahead of Durant at this moment. A good argument could be made that there is 3, or possibily 4 depending how one feels about Ray. . But Jennings? Harris?  You don't know what you are talking about man.