Buying a new TV

Brandon

43 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I would think there would at least be a weekly newsletter of sorts with general questions and information that sales people would get to educate themselves.

They don't care about a sales persons product knowledge... they care about will they push the warranty and or to sell based on what has better margins for that week until the next flyer comes out. 

Staff do learn a tiny from the manufacturers sales reps who visit once in a while.  The problem is turnover is so frequent and anyone with product knowledge and who can sell usually leaves ASAP to make commission at one of the other places. 

• 1 month later...

I've been using my tv extensively over the last month and I can definitely verify that Sharp still makes a very high quality product. 

My sofa is 18 feet away from the tv and I found that with that distance a 75" tv is the absolute perfect size for it.    My recliner where I play lots of xbox games sits around 13 - 14 feet away and on a slight angle from the tv and it is also very comfortable on the eyes.   Anything closer I would think the tv would be to large in size to watch comfortably. 

For the model that I purchased,   the FALD does look nice,  I have looked closely on games/movies during darker scenes and it does a real good job of keeping the darker areas more black while lighting up the other areas which are brighter.  

I can't remember what Sharp calls its "smoothing" option,  but I had set it on minimum because if you have it on the maximum the soap opera effect is way to distracting and for me it gives me a headache.   On the lower setting the faster scenes do look smoother and it doesn't have that weird look to it.  

The blacks are above average ,  not as deep as what I saw on the Sony but it's far from being anything that looks washed out or having a tinge of gray in it. The image quality is razor sharp,  games look absolutely amazing on it.       The smart tv functions are average at best,  not as good as most other brands.

I've been playing a lot of Forza Horizon 3 as of late and it is jaw dropping gorgeous of a game and the tv really shows this off well.  The colors on the tv are very vibrant.  I am going to buy an Xbox One S this Holiday season and will see if the HDR support on the game will make any difference at all. 

I've watched some 4k content and it of course looks absolutely insane.

Overall for a $3200 dollar tv this is a great buy and I definitely would recommend it for anyone who wants 75" and that doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg.     The difference between this tv and the LG and Sony that are double in price is absolutely minimal at best. 

5 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The last of the Sharps since they sold out right? What was the model Brandon?

It was the one that I posted from the link from Costco a page or two back in this thread.    I believe they are still making the same models from the same factory out of Mexico...

23 hours ago, Brandon said:

It was the one that I posted from the link from Costco a page or two back in this thread.    I believe they are still making the same models from the same factory out of Mexico...

Nice TV.  I was just at Costco and saw it.  Had nice color, good sharpness, very clear.  For being 18' away that's a good size.

• 7 months later...

Found the TV thread!

@Brandon - give us an update on your Sharp (confidently I posted a story in the news thread about Sharp suing HIsense).

Some of the topics in this thread are fun to look back on.  in discussing haggling at Visions, I popped in there yesterday to look at some TV's on display and I told the guy I was sort of torn between Sony and LG and he volunteered that Sony has strict pricing guidelines so he is limited by how much "discount" he could offer.  So he actually offered the fact we could haggle.

Here's the new leading contender:

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/Category/Details.aspx?categoryId=529&productId=35090&sku=OLED65E7

I just bought a 55" Sony 4K HD TV for my basement that we just finished, literally two days ago.  I did tons of research and I just liked what I saw better from the Sony.  I'm sure LG is fine as well.  I haven't fired it up yet, it's still in box as I need to install the TV mount first and I just haven't had time.  It was on sale at Visions for $998 and I got the last one in stock on Regent.  Guy gave me a deal on the warranty too, which I don't usually buy, but I figured it was on sale so whatever.  I'll let you know once I fire it up what the picture quality is compared to my 58" Toshiba upstairs, which is a regular 1080P like yours, but not as old.

Quoting Logan in this thread (from the TV Show thread):

Awesome, would love to hear about it.  Prices sure have come down.  Everytime there is a new threshold for size or tech, the current prices drop.  I like Sony too.  I had seen some chatter online that their quality was not as hi-end as it used to be but the reviews for their TV's are still very good.

My old Toshiba basically was a great looking 1080 for the time but even a few years later the basic old 1080's looked far better...with that enhanced frame-rate (Soap Opera Effect) that made some films really look unbelievable.  My buddy's parents bought one and we watched Avatar and I couldnt believe it was the same 1080P quality...theirs was so much better.

Now 4K?  HDR?  OLED?  Where does it end...lol

50 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Found the TV thread!

@Brandon - give us an update on your Sharp (confidently I posted a story in the news thread about Sharp suing HIsense).

Some of the topics in this thread are fun to look back on.  in discussing haggling at Visions, I popped in there yesterday to look at some TV's on display and I told the guy I was sort of torn between Sony and LG and he volunteered that Sony has strict pricing guidelines so he is limited by how much "discount" he could offer.  So he actually offered the fact we could haggle.

Here's the new leading contender:

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/Category/Details.aspx?categoryId=529&productId=35090&sku=OLED65E7

Tough to beat that price. Which E7 is that?

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

What do you mean?

E7 is the 2017 version of LG's line of OLED's (C7, G7 etc).  last year it was called E6.

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED65E7P-oled-4k-tv

E7 is a beautiful full feature tv, OLED are catching up in brightness, non OLED that I would look at would consis t of the Panny DX900,  LG SJ8500, and Samsung MU 8000, all real good tv's and well priced. If you buy the E7 gives us a report after a few weeks

For those with 4K's what type of Blu Ray are you running?  Everything points me to the Panasonic ($700) as its top rated in most books.  However, it does not support Dolby Vision and I believe that cannot be rectified by a firmware update. 

LG (the TV I am leaning towards) put out a 4K Blu Ray player this year which gets good reviews but not as spectacular as Panasonic but does support all HDR formats and is on sale for under $300.

18 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Quoting Logan in this thread (from the TV Show thread):

Awesome, would love to hear about it.  Prices sure have come down.  Everytime there is a new threshold for size or tech, the current prices drop.  I like Sony too.  I had seen some chatter online that their quality was not as hi-end as it used to be but the reviews for their TV's are still very good.

My old Toshiba basically was a great looking 1080 for the time but even a few years later the basic old 1080's looked far better...with that enhanced frame-rate (Soap Opera Effect) that made some films really look unbelievable.  My buddy's parents bought one and we watched Avatar and I couldnt believe it was the same 1080P quality...theirs was so much better.

Now 4K?  HDR?  OLED?  Where does it end...lol

Ok, so I unboxed it and fired it up last night just for you (Also, I wired it to my network because I just finished our basement, so I wired everything up down there so I'm not using the built in wireless for this TV).  :)

Here's what I found (btw this is an X700D model):

- Picture is great, but you can't really tell much of a difference between an LED TV and a 4K HD TV without actually running a show in 4K HD (and I don't feel like upgrading my netflix by $2 just to check that out.  I may do it later when there is more content).

- Sony's picture is still beautiful to me compared to other brands, but that's just my preference.  The amount of significant difference between Sony, LG and Samsung is probably very minor.

- What I really like is that Sony uses Android for their "smart tv".    You can download and install different things like Kodi.  It obviously comes with all the necessities like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc...  and I can even stream directly from my Network Storage device without needing a second device in between, like a PS3 or whatever.  I did notice it doesn't play all video's though.

That's about it for now.  I didn't get to go into too much depth.  I just watched some quick things to see what picture quality was like.  It streamed very nicely too.  So far I definitely recommend it.

4 hours ago, Logan007 said:

Ok, so I unboxed it and fired it up last night just for you

- Picture is great, but you can't really tell much of a difference between an LED TV and a 4K HD TV without actually running a show in 4K HD (and I don't feel like upgrading my netflix by $2 just to check that out.  I may do it later when there is more content).

- What I really like is that Sony uses Android for their "smart tv".    You can download and install different things like Kodi.  It obviously comes with all the necessities like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc...  and I can even stream directly from my Network Storage device without needing a second device in between, like a PS3 or whatever.  I did notice it doesn't play all video's though.

What...no invite? :)

To test 4k do youtube search for 4K.

Is that Android or Android TV? Guessing former.

Okay so I gave in. Got the LG 4K OLED E7. 65" 

Not only was it $2000 off the retail price on sale right now, I got another $600 off due to a contact at the store. 

Observations:

- box is big. Only just barely fit in my jeep with seats folded down and front seats slid forward. 

- pretty easy to attach to the included stand via 4 screws and it looks great. 

- they call it "picture on glass" where the screen is literally a few mm thick glass with a thin film of OLED material on it. Looks beautiful. 

- easy set up. I haven't had a new tv in 9years so maybe this isn't new but it offered to learn my set top box for the remote and beamed the info to the tv remote. Very easy. 

- the e7 came with the attached sound bar that claimed to fire off Dolby Atmos. While it sounds better than most tv speakers it was not early as robust as my surround sound system 

- but you want to hear about the picture. Well it was great though.m not jaw dropping at first.  I'm not expert so I finally consulted the Internet for calibration tips and that helped. Especially in telling me to turn off energy saving mode. Prior, I thought it was unusually dark and figured that was a characteristic of OLED. 

Once energy saver was off and I properly Calibrated it, wow!  Jaw dropping. Amazing.  It's like you're watching people live right in front of you 

i ran some Netflix and YouTube 4K. I did buy a 4K film (Passengers) but haven't watched yet. We were watching The Sopranos on Blu ray so continued with it. 

It up-converted my Xbox Blu Ray pretty good. You could see some imperfections.  

But today I took the plunge and bought the Oppo 203 4K Blu Ray player. Basically the best reviewed player out there (Panasonic was very well reviewed too). 

The difference was, only Oppo had support for Dolby Vision. LG has a new 4K player out that also supports Dolby Vision (because LG is one of the only tv manufacturers that is all in on Dolby Vision) but it's less well reviews. 

If you want an Oppo it seems the only official seller here is American Hi Fi on Cumberland.  Very expensive but significantly cheaper than ordering it on amazon. 

Its a great Blu Ray player. Very high end construction. Looks great.  I throw my Sopranos Blu Ray in and the Oppo made it look that much better. 

Oppo and TV combined to make a fairly poorly reviews Blu Ray as far as HD image goes, look unbelievable.  And remember this is not a 4K source. It's upconverting an old Blu ray. 

Jaw dropping.  I noticed tony sweating in way more scenes than I had before.  Everything is crystal clear and beautiful.  

What Oled does best is blacks. Deep inky blacks.  And it's weird because it's jarring in the sense I'm used to seeing grey washed out blacks and now I'm seeing black as black can be.  

Looking forward to trying passengers tomorrow and seeing what the Oppo and TV can do with it. 

Glad I went with the 65". While it isn't over powering my room I do think the 75" would have and it wasn't an OLED 

lg has a 77" OLED on sale for $17000.  By the time I'm ready for a basement Reno hopefully that will be under $5000!

so I'm tapped now. This month I bought a new trailhawk, a new king sized bed, new parts for my wrestling ring, new tv and new Blu ray. Damn. 

So far, very worth it. 

HOMELESS. Wi

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Not only was it $2000 off the retail price on sale right now, I got another $600 off due to a contact at the store. 

Observations:

- box is big. Only just barely fit in my jeep with seats folded down and front seats slid forward. 

- they call it "picture on glass" where the screen is literally a few mm thick glass with a thin film of OLED material on it. Looks beautiful. 

- easy set up. I haven't had a new tv in 9years so maybe this isn't new but it offered to learn my set top box for the remote and beamed the info to the tv remote. Very easy. 

- the e7 came with the attached sound bar that claimed to fire off Dolby Atmos. While it sounds better than most tv speakers it was not early as robust as my surround sound system 

- but you want to hear about the picture. Well it was great though.m not jaw dropping at first.  I'm not expert so I finally consulted the Internet for calibration tips and that helped. Especially in telling me to turn off energy saving mode. Prior, I thought it was unusually dark and figured that was a characteristic of OLED. 

Once energy saver was off and I properly Calibrated it, wow!  Jaw dropping. Amazing.  It's like you're watching people live right in front of you 

i ran some Netflix and YouTube 4K. I did buy a 4K film (Passengers) but haven't watched yet. We were watching The Sopranos on Blu ray so continued with it. 

But today I took the plunge and bought the Oppo 203 4K Blu Ray player. Basically the best reviewed player out there (Panasonic was very well reviewed too). 

The difference was, only Oppo had support for Dolby Vision. LG has a new 4K player out that also supports Dolby Vision (because LG is one of the only tv manufacturers that is all in on Dolby Vision) but it's less well reviews. 

If you want an Oppo it seems the only official seller here is American Hi Fi on Cumberland.  Very expensive but significantly cheaper than ordering it on amazon. 

Its a great Blu Ray player. Very high end construction. Looks great.  I throw my Sopranos Blu Ray in and the Oppo made it look that much better. 

Oppo and TV combined to make a fairly poorly reviews Blu Ray as far as HD image goes, look unbelievable.  And remember this is not a 4K source. It's upconverting an old Blu ray. 

Jaw dropping.  I noticed tony sweating in way more scenes than I had before.  Everything is crystal clear and beautiful.  

What Oled does best is blacks. Deep inky blacks.  And it's weird because it's jarring in the sense I'm used to seeing grey washed out blacks and now I'm seeing black as black can be.  

Looking forward to trying passengers tomorrow and seeing what the Oppo and TV can do with it. 

Glad I went with the 65". While it isn't over powering my room I do think the 75" would have and it wasn't an OLED 

lg has a 77" OLED on sale for $17000.  By the time I'm ready for a basement Reno hopefully that will be under $5000!

so I'm tapped now. This month I bought a new trailhawk, a new king sized bed, new parts for my wrestling ring, new tv and new Blu ray. Damn. 

So far, very worth it. 

HOMELESS. Will Wrestle For Food.

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

- but you want to hear about the picture. Well it was great though.m not jaw dropping at first.  I'm not expert so I finally consulted the Internet for calibration tips and that helped. Especially in telling me to turn off energy saving mode.

First of all...bastid!

Now that i got that out of the way is the sound bar the only speakers the tv has?

Energy saving mode is the devil.

5 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

First of all...bastid!

Now that i got that out of the way is the sound bar the only speakers the tv has?

Yes. The sound bar is the built in speakers. I should clarify it's not a separate sound bar per se. It's the built in front speakers.  On the next model down, apparently the only difference is no "sound bar" style speaker (has lesser built ins). 

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Observations:

So far, very worth it. 

Sounds great TUP, beware of image retention OLED are susceptible to various degrees. Enjoy  

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

It truly is... when we got our 75" tv as mentioned earlier in the thread I was so down on how dim and average the picture looked.....  until I realized that eco mode was by default turned on for each input.    The moment I turned it to the other vibrant modes it was a massive difference in how good the picture looked.   

16 hours ago, Brandon said:

It truly is... when we got our 75" tv as mentioned earlier in the thread I was so down on how dim and average the picture looked.....  until I realized that eco mode was by default turned on for each input.    The moment I turned it to the other vibrant modes it was a massive difference in how good the picture looked.   

Huh...I wonder if that's something that is set on the Sony.  I didn't really look into it.  I will now.

On 6/16/2017 at 0:31 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

What...no invite? :)

To test 4k do youtube search for 4K.

Is that Android or Android TV? Guessing former.

Haha.  It's mine...ALL MINE...NO SHARING!!!

Yeah, I told my co-worker that when we were talking about the TV.  Do you think I remembered to do it when I got home though?  No...of course not.

Yes, it's Android TV.  I almost want to buy an Android tablet just to sink it up.  Because of my job they buy me everything Apple...so all our devices are Apple...bleh.