Buying a new TV

Brandon

It's been a long while since I've had to buy a big screen and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

I'm looking for something between 60  - 75 "  which will primarily be used for watching movies , sports and then gaming with the Xbox one. Picture quality is mostly what I'm looking for.

I'm not a huge fan of the curved screen and all the other smart TV features do not matter for me. 

I do find some tvs have a weird look where it seems everything is moving faster (I'm guessing this has to do with the refresh)  which I would want disabled during movies and only enabled for gaming.

Anyone have any brand recommendations or stores around town that are good to deal with?

Budget would be under $5000 so no OLED stuff.

LG is always a go-to for me, but I became of fan of Vizio after my dad got one and it was fantastic. But if money is no object ($5k is going to get you a really really nice TV) I'd just buy the biggest LG I could find...

Can't go wrong with any of the major players, really most of the time it comes down to looks, at 5k you will be able to get your self a very nice tv, try to get the highest refresh you can afford, 4k for hd in the future if we every get it available in Winnipeg, and just generally trust your eyes when it come to colour and black level. Always good to go shopping with somebody else for a different opinion and never pay the posted price.

27 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

It's really too bad plasma died out. Still think they are the best for sports. I've got a 6 yr old 60" LG plasma that I love the picture on.

Having said that, I'm a big fan of Samsung as well and would echo the one Atomic pointed out.

Or do like KBF and go 120" projector (it's nice).

I also have a projector, love it

Im soon to be in the market for a TV and stupidly have my eyes on an 86" LG.  But my buddy who likes good things just got a 75" LG and its beautiful.  HDR is important.  You want 4K and HDR (HDR will get more and more important and drastically improves colour range etc).

I generally will find one Im interested in and then google reviews so I can see the "cons" and decide if I care about them.

Regarding the posted price, who has had success with haggling for electronics?  I've done it for my surround sound (but it was Boxing Day anyway) but my current TV was at cost as I knew a guy who knew a guy.  If Im spending $10,000 on a TV, how much can I get knocked off?

I have a 1 year old 32 inch Sharp LED tv in the living room which I'm very happy with. I have a ten year old rear projection Panasonic tv in the rec room downstairs. It was a mistake buying rear projection as I've had to spend big bucks the past decade replacing those damned bulbs. But rear projection is old technology & no longer sold & I can see why, lol! The picture quality in both tvs are very good. At some point I'll sell the Panasonic. I think if you stick with the major brands & the technology available you'll be fine. I'd go for the best deal.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

My tv is from visions as well. Same with my surround sound.  They tried to gouge me on cables thougj and that turned me off.   Best Buy and Visions are basically next door in my area so it's a matter of playing them off each other a bit. 

Getting cables anywhere other than Amazon is ludicrous... 

Normally if I need a cable, its because I need one today.  So Amazon doesnt work.  But thats a good idea.  I went to buy a Blu Ray Player (I think) from Visions and I had done some research.  I asked the guy to knock a few bucks off and he came back and said "do you need HDMI cords?"  I said yes.  He said I can knock of $20 if you buy your cords here...the $100 Monsters.  I said no thanks and went to Future Shop.  I think that was the last time I went to Visions.

But my friend buys from there quite a bit.  He runs a hotel and used them for all the hotel TV's etc (which is why I got a TV at near cost...)  Im leaning towards LG for my next one.