Question about Rod Pederson vs other media

OK, I know he's a paid shill for the Green and White, so I get (but have little respect for) his over-the-top 'Rider Pride and suspect that his whole "League is out to get us because we're so great" tripe is about page hits and fan love as much as his true belief in it. But I was genuinely surprised at his bashing other reporters (Justin Dunk, Scott Mitchell, and a shot at Arash Madani too just for good measure) when they broke the roster scandal, suggesting they may be fabricating it and that the "riders could sue if it was false and how far Drew Edwards went to call out Pederson in return. Then reading the weekly picks and seeing John Hodge and Santino Filoso also slide in shots about how the Ticats would lay waste to the 'Riders "conspiracy or not" in an obvious shot back at Pederson.

So the question is, "what is this feud all about?" Seems to be more than just professional rivalry, and you don't usually see reporters calling each other out for unprofessionalism in public like this. Bryan Hall was a huge homer for the Eskies, but I don't recall people taking shots at him in print. Is Pederson not respectful of others because "they are just bloggers" (some media types seem to have a thin skin about their 21st Century competition because they didn't attend the true journalism school of hard knocks and just picked up a laptop and started typing one day and earned instant cred - or is that just my incorrect perception?) Is he that disliked by other journalists, and if so, why? Is it due to solely just because of his homerism, which is kind of his job and others get a pass on? Or is it something more?

Asking legitimately; I have no desire to defend Pederson, as he makes himself look ridiculous with his ranting (Mike Reilly pretty much got it right with his pre-season tweet), but this seems out of character for the media to engage in public smears against each other, and Pederson sure looks like he has a number of detractors in his own profession and not just amongst the fan site peeps.

Opinions and insight welcomed.

I think it's because there are media/reporters that actually try to do their jobs properly, even if their view get clouded by being so close to the team, and then there's Rod, a paid shill.

He's just a sideshow and plays it up. Whatever. There are plenty of good media covering the Riders who are objective.

I think Bob Irving can be a too protective of the Bombers at times with his opinions but he doesn't advocate for them. If that makes any sense....

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

I think it's because there are media/reporters that actually try to do their jobs properly, even if their view get clouded by being so close to the team, and then there's Rod, a paid shill.

He's just a sideshow and plays it up. Whatever. There are plenty of good media covering the Riders who are objective.

I think Bob Irving can be a too protective of the Bombers at times with his opinions but he doesn't advocate for them. If that makes any sense....

No way would Knuckles ever go to the lengths that Pederson is going to defend the Riders. Rod is in a league of his own.

I think BBlink had it right in that he is a fan first and will pump the Riders tires before any actual journalism or integrity is involved. The feud between him and the bloggers/writers across the league is likely rooted in the fact that he would gladly throw them under the bus to "protect the shield" as it were and suggest that they would fabricate evidence to feed some conspiracy.

1 minute ago, Nash00 said:

No way would Knuckles ever go to the lengths that Pederson is going to defend the Riders. Rod is in a league of his own.

I think BBlink had it right in that he is a fan first and will pump the Riders tires before any actual journalism or integrity is involved. The feud between him and the bloggers/writers across the league is likely rooted in the fact that he would gladly throw them under the bus to "protect the shield" as it were and suggest that they would fabricate evidence to feed some conspiracy.

Agree completely. I only brought Irving up as a point of reference (or a counterpoint) and that he can get defensive. Often, he's right and he's never like Rod.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

He actually picked the Riders to win? lol

yep. 

Cant stand him, you see other guys have some bias here n there. But none so blinding. Hes the epitome of the league needs the riders movement, gods gift to canadian football etc etc etc. 

The cfl, and the media out lets should not have him involved in any part. We are ridiculously fortunate to have tate and irving, not to mention doug brown and chris walby. 

pederson is down below marty york at a level all his own. 

34 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

He actually picked the Riders to win? lol

Of course he did, because he's Rod Pederson, haha.

Rod's a decent play by play (I've watched radio dubbed replays), but a terrible reporter for the most part. Pretty well have to take what he says with a grain of salt until somebody else reports the same thing.

4 minutes ago, MyDogHasScheifeles said:

Lol I can only guess how much bias this guy have during his play calling.

Heard him calling a game against Calgary. Calgary has it at the 2. No call because he and his partner are chatting followed by and Calgary scores a td. No mention of who (Messam) or how (run).

I get that Bob Irving is the best but have heard the crew out of Hamilton and Ottawa to name two and they are light years ahead.

All that is missing from Pedersen is the green pom poms and once he puts them on (probably at home in front of a mirror) he's no different than the rider cheerleaders on the sidelines...Credibility = Zilch for Rod.....Nothing wrong with being a rampant supporter but don't try and present the bias drivel he comes up with, as fact...Just ain't gonna wash.... I bet he gets along great with Corky though and I think that's all the matters with Rod....Accurate reporting be damned...lol

1 minute ago, Stickem said:

All that is missing from Pedersen is the green pom poms and once he puts them on (probably at home in front of a mirror) he's no different than the rider cheerleaders on the sidelines...Credibility = Zilch for Rod.....Nothing wrong with being a rampant supporter but don't try and present the bias drivel he comes up with, as fact...Just ain't gonna wash.... I bet he gets along great with Corky though and I think that's all the matters with Rod....Accurate reporting be damned...lol

There in lies the problem (hopefully sans drivel) that a lot of us are guilty in doing. Some more than others and some more extreme than others.

2 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

There in lies the problem (hopefully sans drivel) that a lot of us are guilty in doing. Some more than others and some more extreme than others.

I guess it depends if you're just a casual layman presenting facts or a supposed professional ..   big dif.

Just now, Stickem said:

I guess it depends if you're just a casual layman presenting facts or a supposed professional ..   big dif.

Hey I agree with you about Rider Rod, I'm just suggesting it happens a lot with people (including myself), at varying levels, at varying degrees of nausea inducing.

19 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

We're fans and have the right to be biased and can say pretty much anything we want on these forums. Claiming you're a reporter instantly gives you the responsibility of being somewhat objective.

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

OK, I know he's a paid shill for the Green and White, so I get (but have little respect for) his over-the-top 'Rider Pride and suspect that his whole "League is out to get us because we're so great" tripe is about page hits and fan love as much as his true belief in it. But I was genuinely surprised at his bashing other reporters (Justin Dunk, Scott Mitchell, and a shot at Arash Madani too just for good measure) when they broke the roster scandal, suggesting they may be fabricating it and that the "riders could sue if it was false and how far Drew Edwards went to call out Pederson in return. Then reading the weekly picks and seeing John Hodge and Santino Filoso also slide in shots about how the Ticats would lay waste to the 'Riders "conspiracy or not" in an obvious shot back at Pederson.

Rod is attached the Riders butt like glue, so he knew that the allegations were true and yet he attacks other journalists for questioning the Riders ethics.  Unbelievable.  I'm hoping the next time Bob Irving has the dweeb on his pre-game show he takes off the gloves and shows Pedersen why he's called "knuckles".  Have a sammich Roddy.  POW!

Bob's my hero.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne