Our Goalies

Ducky

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:48 PM, Ducky said:

No, no. Matt Murray HELPED the Pens win the cup last year and he is  younger than Helle so don't go spouting off about Helle being  young. Vasilevskiy is only 22. Regardless of age, he has to be better. So does Hutch. So does anyone they dress between the pipes.

I'd like to see one of them get a non-career threatening injury for 3-4 weeks and let Comrie have a kick at it . Whether he is good enough or not, take a look. Same as Roslo, take a 5 game or so look. We aren't making the playoffs.

Here's a little math I did...here are the points these teams would finish with at today's pace...

Chi 107

St L 105

MN 101

SJ 97

ANA 97

LA 91

EDM 90

Cal 90

NSH 85

Dal 79

Wpg 77

Van 76

AZ 70

Avs 66

All of the teams in the East are on pace to finish above the Jets (Buffalo is the only team under .500) so we would be 5th last in the lottery if you included LV in the draft order at 3rd.

Really? Not cool.

Just because a goalie younger than Helle performs at a higher level doesn't change the fact that youth and inexperience are perfectly reasonable factors in a players' struggles & development.  Thats like saying Wayne scored 90+ goals so why doesnt everyone else.  Players are different.

Who the heck would take hutch off waivers? Seriously he's terrible and not an nhl goalie. 

Man. Bringing up a goalie won't help. Murray would look like Helle playing in front of our D. I'm not sure if people realize how poor our D zone play really is. 

Helle looks like a rookie to the nhl... that's what he is... he just happens to be playing on a team where our best most consistent actual Guy who plays D is also a nhl rookie... 

It's not about 1 guy.... it's about playing as a team and right now... we aren't doing that. ...... seriously I wonder if anyone has tracked the amount of goals scored against us as a direct result of a buff enstrom Postma stu Chiarot etc giveaway... it's probably insanely high

Edited by Goalie

Bringing up a goalie couldn't hurt.....I would just give him a look Roslo too...just 5 or so games.

I would guess that if you looked it up, Buff would have more takeaways than giveaways but I agree it is team D that is a big reason why there record is poor. This is in all zones not just their own zone.

Helle will get better with experience but goaltending is a disappointment this year.

Comrie isn't ready and deserves to be playing in the A. Not sitting. Pavelec had 6 years of below average goaltending.  He has no future here. 

It's helle and Hutch this year for sure. 

Instead of worrying about goaltending so much... should probably just understand that it's pretty much a developmental year.  

Not only do I understand it, I have been saying it while the coach, the assistant coach and half of the players' heads have been called for. I'm not overly worried about the goaltending but it is below average. Lotsa things below average this year...

Still think a quick look at Roslo and Comrie wouldn't hurt but it isn't that big of a deal if they don't.

Roslovic is what? 19. Let him go to the world juniors and play big minutes for the moose. Comrie? Why. He would get lit up right now behind this team. Helle has better ahl numbers than Comrie. 

Coaching should be questioned when the pp pk and general stupidity happens every game and has for a year or 2 now. 

MO is on the hot seat. He needs to show he can improve the pp pK and discipline or he will be sent packing this off season guaranteed. 

Right. 6 years of crap from pavelec is ok but not even 6 months of a 23 year old and it's time to throw him under the bus? 

Lol. Helles career average is still better than Pavelec.  It's not helle that sucks... it's hutch. Hutch has been terrible.  At least helle shows some consistency from time to time. I get it... you expected him to be Carey Price or something. .. he's not tho. Carey Price wasn't even Carey Price his first full year.... I think the problem really is... expectations for some reason were 2 high and I'm not sure why when all off season most of us were saying playoff bubble team when healthy. .. might or might not make it but will be close either way... 

You expect them to be contenders with rookie nhl goalie. .. rookie nhl Morrissey rookie 18 yr old Laine... under 20 sophomore ehlers? Lol. 

Nobody expected that. 

We need Myers back in a big way.

I don't like to single out a player too much but from what I've seen, Paul Postma is not a bonifide NHL defenseman. I see other teams taking advantage of that on purpose in their preparation against the Jets. Our defensive play isn't helping our Goaltenders, however Helle does a lot of good things but sometimes controlling his rebounds can be an adventure.

And I have to agree with a few others here, stop with the constant juggling of lines. Let it settle, chemistry can take some time.

And stay out of the box. It throws off the flow of our game (i.e., keeps our scorers off the ice) and our PK really really sucks. Not good combinations for success.

We clean these areas up (take less penalties, solidify our defensive corps, stay as healthy as possible, improve our PK, stay with certain line combinations) we get back in the playoff hunt. Easy smeezy. 

My expectations weren't that high but I did want to see improvement from the 2nd year players and something from the rookies that say they belong or they are not that far away.  Ehlers, Armia (limited time), Dano, Petan and Copp, have all showed that they are improving and belong in my opinion. Hard for me to find areas where Helle has improved. It sure isn't rebounds but I think they played him too much during that rough stretch. I also think that Comrie and Helle will be here for a long, long time. Hutch has been the model of inconsistency and not only game to game but period to period. The only reason he is here is because of the expansion draft.

Morrissey has played far beyond my expectations and so has Tanev even though he is not as skilled a player as Morrissey. I have very little bad to say about Laine and everything good especially for his age. I thought 25 goals his first season would be too much to hope for. Connor has been a disappointment since TC finished. He looked to be coming around a bit in his D game but then he was sat and now demoted but I am sure he will be a big part of this club going forward.

I knew there would be more injuries around the league this year with the condensed schedule but I didn't think the Jets would lose this many quality players for so long and I agree that Myers is missed big time and Postma is not an NHL caliber D man.

Maurice has to start reprimanding the players for the stupid stick penalties but that might have been due to being gassed some games. It looked like they had cleaned it up pretty good earlier in the season.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Boards like this, twitter and call in shows always reenforces that NHL GM's are actually paid professionals and thank God they dont listen to the fans.  if they did, we'd have dressed 84 players this season already.

Also Myers would of been traded to each team in the league three times over...

• 2 weeks later...

A comment from another site...what do you think? Should we have had an experienced goalie with the team this year?

"There is no reason to use the draft and develop model for goalies. Goalies can't learn to be a number one while playing bad as a starter. They learn to be a number one first in the minors and then as a backup. It's time to get a number one and see if either helle or comrie develop into something. There is no reason to wait and hope they grow into the position.

To me all the discussion about coaching or powerplays or whatever is meaningless. The issue with this team right from the first game of the year is goaltending. Full stop.

When everyone is healthy this is a good roster. Young or not. But everything that has been built gets pulled down by one player. It's not like a left winger who you can give time to develop. A goalie can't develop while being a starter.

The difference between in and out of the playoff race isn't that big anymore. Take the games that sub par goaltending has cost the jets and make even half of them wins and the team is at least on the plus side of 500.

It is very frustrating. I can't imagine what it's like as a player or coach. The team and Maurice's career hangs almost entirely on a goalie with 50 games in the NHL. Why would they not go get a proven veteran to allow the young guys to develop properly."