Our Goalies

Ducky

8 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-trade-bait-1.203546

if this list is accurate to potential trades,  would we have any interest in making a move for Bishop/Fleury/Halak?

If we're in a playoff position we would benefit from a veteran goalie.  Not Fleury or Halak because we dont want to keep paying them for years.  When does Bischop's deal expire?

Fluery and Bishop have NMC / NTC so it is very unlikely they would agree to come to a non playoff team.  Plus Bishop is a UFA after this year, so why trade for him even if you could?

Halak has one year after this year with a 4.5M cap hit.  He might be an interesting veteran goalie to have behind Hellebuyck, but I'm not sure I'd give up a whole lot for him prior to the expansion draft.  Vegas has to draft at least 3 goalies from the expansion draft, and pickings out there will be slim.

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-trade-bait-1.203546

if this list is accurate to potential trades,  would we have any interest in making a move for Bishop/Fleury/Halak?

Hellebuyck still has a few months to redeem himself.  Not sure there is any sense in trading for a goalie with the Vegas draft looming.  If Hellebuyck doesn't turn it on significantly in these last three months the Jets might feel they have no choice but to try and land a free agent starting goalie.  It seems really obvious to me that the decision to roll with Helle/Hutch at the start of the year was as much to determine if they need to get a new goalie as it was to find out if either of those two was NHL caliber.  They really want one of their draft picks to be a franchise guy going forward, but they don't know who it is or when he'll be ready.  They might have no choice but to find a guy to bridge that gap for a few years.

I agree that they need to do something about the goaltending and I don't think they should get rid of Helle. I think this year was spent looking at their goalie situation and due to injuries, they had a chance to look at some younger players that they didn't think they would, especially so early in the year. I can't see Chevy not addressing the D depth and goaltending this off-season. Next year there are no excuses, this team needs to make the playoffs next year no matter who is or isn't coaching or playing goal.

Greiss would have been ideal and he signed way cheaper than I thought he would. I think Darling could be had for the right price...A vet signed for 3 years in goal would be nice though and I will harp about signing Alzner for 5 or 6 years the first day of free agency until someone signs him. I'd send a 3rd or 4th to them for negotiationg rights as soon as their season was over. This guy is the shutdown D we need. Trouba, Alzner, and Morrissey, are the core you build your D around for years and Buff, Myers and Enstrom playing D with them next year would look nice. Maybe Poolman can make the team next year or the year after?

If Chevy thinks changes should be made in coaching, get rid of all of them and don't cherry pick...D coach or goalie coach or whatever coach. If they are to be fired, hire a head coach and he picks his staff not Chevy or anyone else. If he wants to reatain anyone, that is his choice. I'm not sure Hitch would do well here but if Boston were stupid enough to let Julien go this summer...

Now, we have about 27 games to go and are under .500 and still have a chance to make the playoffs. Last year after 55 games we were 25-27-3, this year we are 25-26-4.

Buff talking about Pavs around the 3 1/2 minute mark.

https://www.nhl.com/jets/video/practice--dustin-byfuglien/t-277437442/c-49147703

I think they went with Helle and Hutch because they needed a goalie to expose and they felt Hutch was a solid enough back up based on his play. And I don't think it's way off base at that time. 

Hutch was been a huge disappointment. If he played up to snuff chances are he gets more games the last few weeks to reset Helle and the Jets do as well if not better. 

46 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think they went with Helle and Hutch because they needed a goalie to expose and they felt Hutch was a solid enough back up based on his play. And I don't think it's way off base at that time. 

Hutch was been a huge disappointment. If he played up to snuff chances are he gets more games the last few weeks to reset Helle and the Jets do as well if not better. 

I agree with the bolded but Hutch could have played on the farm all season and still be the one exposed for the expansion draft.

Exactly.  Its a two-fold issue.  Jets had intel that someone was interested in claiming him.  Secondly, they looked at the stats and thought Hutch was at least as good as Pavs.  And looking at the last couple years, you cant fault them for thinking that.  Before the season, I called for Helle/Pavs on the jets and Hutch on the Moose.  But you cant fault the thought-process of the Jets at the time.  They gambled, based on a small sample size and it screwed them.  If they could do it again, they'd have signed a better back up then Hutch.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Exactly.  Its a two-fold issue.  Jets had intel that someone was interested in claiming him.  Secondly, they looked at the stats and thought Hutch was at least as good as Pavs.  And looking at the last couple years, you cant fault them for thinking that.  Before the season, I called for Helle/Pavs on the jets and Hutch on the Moose.  But you cant fault the thought-process of the Jets at the time.  They gambled, based on a small sample size and it screwed them.  If they could do it again, they'd have signed a better back up then Hutch.

The strange part is hutch and pav have very similar numbers so far so probably not much of a difference at all In wins or losses. 

Comes back to coaching again. 

Blame the youth. Blame goalies.  Whatever.  It all comes back to coaching and that's not just Maurice but it mostly Is. 

Edited by Goalie

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Hutch has 4 wins in 17 games. He doesn't even belong in the league.

Is Hutch the only reason that he has 4 wins in 17 games?    

If the Jets had scored 4 - 5 goals per game while he was in net... how many of those games then becomes wins?   

Those numbers don't tell the complete story.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Is Hutch the only reason that he has 4 wins in 17 games?    

If the Jets had scored 4 - 5 goals per game while he was in net... how many of those games then becomes wins?   

Those numbers don't tell the complete story.

no it is the coaches fault that he is such a poor goalie that can only win Less than 25% of his games. Fire the coach fire the coach.

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

no it is the coaches fault that he is such a poor goalie that can only win Less than 25% of his games. Fire the coach fire the coach.

You know what, this is absurd.  Like seriously.  Im fighting the urge to just go off on a friggen rant here.  Please Ducky, bring out your magic wand and wave it over Hutch.  What do you not understand about this???  Pavs is the WORST goalie we have.  I dont care about how many games he's won.  He is statistically a horrendous goalie.  The 360lb, 40 year old smoker we had in net for for our weekly road hockey games has better stats than Pavs.

That position is the BACK UP position.  There is a friggen expansion draft this summer.  Hey, Pittsburgh, can you send Fleury here for free for a few months please, oh and retain 100% of his salary?  No?  But why not?  This is is so easy.  Let me get my Xbox One controller and make a trade.

Helle is the best goalie we have.  Hutch is as good a back up as Pavs.  Thats the way it is this season.

So whats the problem now???

Hutch has 17 games and 4 wins.....that's the only stat I need....he should have been sent down looooooooong ago. |Why stick up for him? I realize that Helle needs more time and probably a vet goalie on the team but Hutch is the worst goalie in the league... How many goalies have 4 wins in 17 games?

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

Hutch has 17 games and 4 wins.....that's the only stat I need....he should have been sent down looooooooong ago. |Why stick up for him? I realize that Helle needs more time and probably a vet goalie on the team but Hutch is the worst goalie in the league... How many goalies have 4 wins in 17 games?

HE CANT BE SENT DOWN.  What part of "Hutch was signed for expansion purposes" dont you understand???  How many times does this need to be explained to you??  The Jets will only send him down if they know beyond all doubt that he would clear.  They dont.  So he wont. 

And if you would take Pavs' worst ever stats over Hutch then you need to stick to EA NHL 17 where goaltending doesnt matter.