Our Goalies

Ducky

On 2017-02-03 at 7:22 AM, Brandon said:

*Insert the stats showing that we score 1 goal per game with Hutch and 5 goals per game with Pavs*

We scored two goals today and lost to a goalie with a .903 sv%

But I do agree that Pavelec should have been Helle's backup since day one...

Instead, we're drifting along with Pavelec as our annointed starter

On Friday, February 03, 2017 at 9:22 AM, Brandon said:

*Insert the stats showing that we score 1 goal per game with Hutch and 5 goals per game with Pavs*

Stats matter. Not sure why people still think pavelec is the answer here. 5 6 seasons of below average goaltending.  That's what I don't get about the whole he makes the team play better thing... does he? Cuz he certainly hasn't for 5 6 seasons 

19 hours ago, Goalie said:

Goalies have zero value unless price lundqvist types. Frederick Anderson went for 30th overall pick. Budaj isn't proven. Late pick 

1st round pick for a slightly above average goalie is a bad example to give when arguing goalies have zero value.

I agree Budaj wouldn't bring much value back though. Too old and I don't trust that this season is any more than a one hit wonder.

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

Can't see anyone giving up more than a 5th round pick for either Stafford or Pav.  There's no value there.

Eye of the beholder.  Most GMs aren't message board types who let the idea of a player being soft obsess in the minds for a year.  They'll look at his stats, see a guy who could get them a few timely goals and plug in on any of the top 3 lines.  He has some value to a team that thinks they're contenders and want to make sure they have depth.

Pavelec only has value if someone loses one of their goalies to injury.  How much would you give up just to have a middling goalie on the bench for the playoffs?  Probably not a lot, and with the expansion draft looming their might be a few more goalies available than usual.  An abundance of goalies brings Pavs value down even further.

8 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Eye of the beholder.  Most GMs aren't message board types who let the idea of a player being soft obsess in the minds for a year.  They'll look at his stats, see a guy who could get them a few timely goals and plug in on any of the top 3 lines.  He has some value to a team that thinks they're contenders and want to make sure they have depth.

Pavelec only has value if someone loses one of their goalies to injury.  How much would you give up just to have a middling goalie on the bench for the playoffs?  Probably not a lot, and with the expansion draft looming their might be a few more goalies available than usual.  An abundance of goalies brings Pavs value down even further.

With the amount of decent forwards who will potentially be available I just don't see anyone knocking down the door for Stafford.  Maybe a fourth round pick... but I'd be surprised.  I think fifth-round is just about the best we can hope for.

20 minutes ago, mbrg said:

GMs rely on scouts much more than that. They'll certainly see a guy who has put up numbers but will rely more on the current status of his play and what they need to pay him (re: salary cap).