Matt Leibl Leaving TSN1290

Rich

Heard on the drive in this morning that Matt is leaving the show in a couple of weeks.  Announced that he is going to become a rabbi.

Any predictions on if they bring in an experienced radio guy to replace him (I wouldn't mind seeing Jay come back) or if they continue on the cheap and promote Brandon Rewucki as the full time host and bring in a  student / intern / new guy to handle the boards?

27 minutes ago, Rich said:

Heard on the drive in this morning that Matt is leaving the show in a couple of weeks.  Announced that he is going to become a rabbi.

Any predictions on if they bring in an experienced radio guy to replace him (I wouldn't mind seeing Jay come back) or if they continue on the cheap and promote Brandon Rewucki as the full time host and bring in a  student / intern / new guy to handle the boards?

What is Leibl's role, exactly? I know of him, but not familiar what he does there. They'll promote from within if they feel they have the talent to do it, but they're not scared to spend money if it's the right fit.

33 minutes ago, Noeller said:

What is Leibl's role, exactly? I know of him, but not familiar what he does there. They'll promote from within if they feel they have the talent to do it, but they're not scared to spend money if it's the right fit.

He is pretty much the host of the show.  When the morning show first started it was Jay Richardson, who was an experienced radio guy  (mostly FM though I think), and Troy Westwood, the experienced sport guy who had some FM morning show experience on another station, were the show and Leibl was behind the scenes on calls and running the board (would that make him the producer?).   But he would chime into the discussion as a kind of third wheel.

When Richardson got fired (apparently over some tweet, but Richardson is still the PA announcer at Jets games), Paul Edmonds (former Goldeyes play by play) spent the summer in Richardson’s role as host but moved on to do the Jets play by play on the radio.

When Edmonds moved out, Leibl stepped into the role as host and Rewucki stepped into Leibl’s old role.

I don’t think Rewucki would fit at all as host.  I think the show was at its best when Edmonds was in there (the show is horrible when Westwood has to carry it on his own due to holidays and whatever), and would like to see another experienced guy take over.

Ya you need an actual radio person to be the host. I would think if he's just a morning jock, they can find anyone to fill that spot. There's a ton of guys in the city with radio experience who can talk sports. You can bet that the current "next in line" at the station will want the gig pretty bad, but it'll be up to the PD to decide if he's ready or not. 

I know JR is currently looking for radio work across Canada... Have seen tweets to that effect recently... But if he's got a bad history with current management he won't be coming back anytime soon... 

Is Matt the first person in history to leave major market radio to become a rabbi?  good luck to him!

I can listen to him for short periods, but I don't like Matt that much, for one thing, he does not have a great voice for radio..... what happened to all the big voice guys? Love those guys... nowdays the sound of your voice seems to be unimportant, too bad.

to take over, of all the staff I've heard on 1290, I prefer  Joel ( I think it is) Marcoux.

He took over a few times while people were away. and asked really (to me) smart questions.... didn't get too goofy, or try to be a comedian, wasn't trying to prove anything...... Did a really good job.

Hope it's him.

I don't agree with rebus about Troy, I think Westwood is pretty entertaining, and gets himself fairly worked up about things now and again. I like listening to him. He also knows what he's talking about re football, so I appreciate his opinions. He's a huge bomber booster, (naturally).

I sure could do without the frikcin Blue Jays coverage though... I just shut it off when that starts.

Rick Ralph is by far their best man.

Edited by Mark F

I would think it would be a radio guy but maybe Westwood's done the show enuf to take over and bring in someone like Ken Wiebe. Or dump Edmonds as hockey guy to host the show.

Make the latter happen please.

Here's a throw out...Kelly Moore either as host or Edmonds replacement.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Just now, Mark F said:

you don't like edmonds play by play right frosty?

To me he'll always be the Goldeyes voice and i can't get that out of my head. He also has an American kind of feel to his calling games to the point I almost expect him to say "he shoots, he scores" which the Yankees do almost exclusively.

23 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I would think it would be a radio guy but maybe Westwood's done the show enuf to take over and bring in someone like Ken Wiebe. Or dump Edmonds as hockey guy to host the show.

Make the latter happen please.

Here's a throw out...Kelly Moore either as host or Edmonds replacement.

Kelly as show host was my first thought. I've never listened to Edmonds call a hockey game, but I don't think anyone's going to be leaving the post of NHL PBP to take on a friggin' morning show in Winnipeg. 

What might be interesting is a print guy with some radio experience coming over...those guys are all trying to find a life raft to get off the sinking ship, so a guy like Penton or Wiebe, who've done a little bit of radio, might be an interesting option.

I still think you need an experienced jock to take on a Morning Show Host spot. It's the anchor for your station...the Morning Host brings in your audience, and it's up to each show after to try and maintain the numbers as best they can.

I'm a big fan of Edmonds on play by play.  He definitely has more of a homer feel to him in that I don't think he would ever be a national play by play guy, but unique voice and style.  I'd love it if he did a simulcast and took over the TV play by play as well.   Beyak is okay, but I think he is more suited to a national telecast.

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

Is Matt the first person in history to leave major market radio to become a rabbi?  good luck to him!

I can listen to him for short periods, but I don't like Matt that much, for one thing, he does not have a great voice for radio..... what happened to all the big voice guys? Love those guys... nowdays the sound of your voice seems to be unimportant, too bad.

to take over, of all the staff I've heard on 1290, I prefer  Joel ( I think it is) Marcoux.

He took over a few times while people were away. and asked really (to me) smart questions.... didn't get too goofy, or try to be a comedian, wasn't trying to prove anything...... Did a really good job.

Hope it's him.

I don't agree with rebus about Troy, I think Westwood is pretty entertaining, and gets himself fairly worked up about things now and again. I like listening to him. He also knows what he's talking about re football, so I appreciate his opinions. He's a huge bomber booster, (naturally).

I sure could do without the frikcin Blue Jays coverage though... I just shut it off when that starts.

Rick Ralph is by far their best man.

I don't really dislike any of the 1290 crew - but now I know you're joking!

...unless by best man, you mean best man to give a lecture on pepperoni and mustard sandwiches from the Maritimes. 

16 hours ago, Rich said:

I'm a big fan of Edmonds on play by play.  He definitely has more of a homer feel to him in that I don't think he would ever be a national play by play guy, but unique voice and style.  I'd love it if he did a simulcast and took over the TV play by play as well.   Beyak is okay, but I think he is more suited to a national telecast.

I don't like Edmonds at all on pbp. I find him incredibly annoying. Imo he just sounds like he's trying too hard. I don't need the pbp guy screaming at me to get me into the game.

I'd take Beyak any day over him.

Beyak is far better than Edmonds on PBP but i would still take Edmonds over Brian Munz.  Munz is the worst... hopefully he doesn't end up on the morning show.

Edmonds on the morning show however was not good either.  I also can't see Rewucki taking over, he is not a fit for that role.

Jim Toth would actually be a pretty good fit, I think... that would be the natural choice.  Jay Richardson was fine but as others have said.... tough to see him coming back.  Other choices could be Darrin Bauming or maybe the Freep's Jeff Hamilton if he is interested, as he has lots of print and radio experience.

I don't get the Westwood hate.  I didn't like him as a player for the Bombers but I think he's a great morning-show type guy.  Definitely the best they have right now.  He is entertaining.

Leibl leaving to become a rabbi seems like a joke?  Is that for real?  Best of luck to him if it is true.  Very interesting career transition.

I think the Westwood hate is holdover from people not liking him near the end of his run with the Bombers.  He's a good radio guy.  Sounds good and has insight.  I'd say he is a lot better than most jocks that end up on radio or TV.  He is intelligent and well spoken.  His insight into being a pro athlete is obviously his bread & butter.  But he has interesting takes on many subjects and seems like a genuine guy.  I like him a lot.

I agree he isnt good as the host when Matt has been away.  He's a good sidekick though.

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

If he takes his faith really seriously it makes sense.....and radio doesn't pay well in Manitoba anywhere. Outside of guys like Wheeler and Burpee, nobody's getting rich. 

He's definitely never been shy talking about being Jewish, seems like he embraces it pretty fully, I just didn't realize it was to that degree.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

I don't get the Westwood hate. 

+

Leibl leaving to become a rabbi seems like a joke?  Is that for real?  Best of luck to him if it is true.  Very interesting career transition.

I thought he should have been axed the moment he made those banjo comments. The fortunes of both clubs seemed to change right there. We used to win games in Regina now its always a question of how big the blow out. Then the WBB has to apologize with a banjo bowl game here.

Rabbi in the Morning would have been a great tag line.

Toth has a bit of an edge to him so good choice as well.

Leibl is a good host as far as keeping them on track and on time etc.  But he can be a bit annoying when trying to be funny.  But I do like him.  I cant remember if I liked Jay but I think I did so him coming back (he needs a job) would be fine.  Wasnt his crime rather small (pissed off a sponsor on Twitter?)

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think the Westwood hate is holdover from people not liking him near the end of his run with the Bombers.  He's a good radio guy.  Sounds good and has insight.  I'd say he is a lot better than most jocks that end up on radio or TV.  He is intelligent and well spoken.  His insight into being a pro athlete is obviously his bread & butter.  But he has interesting takes on many subjects and seems like a genuine guy.  I like him a lot.

I agree he isnt good as the host when Matt has been away.  He's a good sidekick though.

I can't agree with your Westwood assessment. I really, really like the guy and give him the benefit of the doubt but he's a terrible radio guy.

TSN1290 is primarily a Jets (hockey) station, with other sports mixed in, and Westwood offers no insight to hockey.

His manner of speaking drives me bananas. The Troy-isms, the "level of understanding", etc.

Edmunds was great.

I'm guessing Toth might be a front runner? Can't say I remember much of his work as I never listen to OB, with the exception of pre and post game coverage.