Odds and Sods - Game 8 - Bombers at Argos

do or die

Nichols throwing off-target early....,.

Fogg 35 yd punt return...sets up long Medlock FG...

Very conservative O in first quarter....

Stubler D jamming Blue short passing game....

Kilgore hits D. Spencer behind Fogg for 70 yd TD....

....Chad should of quit, while he was ahead.....

As the Fogg began to roll in with a INT....with much more to come.

...after Nichols gives up his first INT of year....

Next series...Kilgore picked off by Bass....

Next play...Denmark wide open..30 yd corner pattern TD...

As the ole Bomber turnover followed by touchdown game continues...

Jace Davis not doing himself any favors......13 -10 at the half

Fogg recovers fumble....then picks off Kilgore on next series....

Nichols gets short passing game untracked....down to the redzone...

....Harris caps the 92 yd drive...by running right through 4 Argos for the TD...

20-10....Bombers taking over LOS on both sides of ball....

Blue DL getting stronger as game goes on...

Harris pounding the rock, with good yards after contact....

...this enables Nichols play action 80 yd bomb to Denmark....

27-10 Blue.....24 unanswered points by Bombers....

Ian Wild: just another usual stud game.....

Bond: knocking guys around...but 3 major penalties...

Argo receivers not really helping Kilgore......

Bomber kick coverage excellent again....

Medlock on autopilot: 14 straight field goals...

Fogg still a factor on returns...

These special teams are in a serious groove.....

Moe Leggett gets Bombers 5th INT of game....and his 2nd

...and scoots 98 yards to ice the game..,..34 -10..

6 more turnovers for Blue D....14 in last 3 games....

Fogg?  2 picks, a sack, a fumble recovery and 4 tackles.

....and some serious ROY consideration...

Denmark?  Proves you can come home again ......

...7 catches for 195 and 2 TD...

...seems Clarence likes being re-employed......

O-line didn't give up a sack ....

...and gave Harris enough cracks for 125 yards rushing....

Manase Foketi didn't really look out of place, at Tackle......

Late Argo TD window dressing....but 34-17 win on the road.

4 and 4, into the bye, after 1-4 start......will take it

Gin after a string of wins.....will drink it.

Edited by do or die

hey DoD -- long time reader, first time caller.....question for you..............I assume you jot notes as the game goes. Do you edit the early notes, after the game is done? I feel like sometimes the early parts of Odds n Sods is affected by what happens later? Is that fair? Or is this pure, stream-of-consciousness writing? 

Great stuff, as always, my friend...one of the best CFL forum reads anywhere.

Bit of a mix.....at the stadium the first 3 years or so, were with no notes, at all.    I do notes now....but depending how I feel, use different amounts of it......some times sitting at the computer....simple veer off in another direction (blame gin).   The road stuff has more editing as I am already typing and drinking, as game is in progress....

Half in bag, not sure if is explains anything...

Wonderful as always, DoD.

The one and only thing I don't agree with (and the nit pickiest of nitpicks in yet another awesome game), was Ian Wild being his usual studly self. I actually thought this was his worst game of the season (worst for Wild, still better than most LBers). He whiffed a few key plays (hit on the RB in the backfield, go-ahead sack), and it often seemed he was a step away from the receivers in his zone, leading to catch then tackle, rather than a knockdown.

Again, I love Wild, I'm loving this team, very little to complain about, but I do think it wasn't his best game. 

10 minutes ago, do or die said:

Bit of a mix.....at the stadium the first 3 years or so, were with no notes, at all.    I do notes now....but depending how I feel, use different amounts of it......some times sitting at the computer....simple veer off in another direction (blame gin).   The road stuff has more editing as I am already typing and drinking, as game is in progress....

Half in bag, not sure if is explains anything...

I'd like to read an unedited "totally in the bag" version. Great work DoD. Your writing is a credit to the forum. 

1 hour ago, tacklewasher said:

I loved the Harris TD where our OL basically pushed him in. Not sure who it was, but one of the OL grabbed Harris and almost picked him up to put him in the end zone.

just rewatched, on harris TD he broke atleast 6 tackles. The ol was a mess on that play, he broke 3 tackles before the line of scrimmage. They did get a good scrum going at that point though that helped him get in, but that was a huge effort by harris. Probbaly only 2 backs in the last 5 years score that td. 90% of backs are tackled in the back field.

58 minutes ago, do or die said:

Blew it......failed to mention Loffler.....8 tackles and forced fumble...

"sigh"

Tackles for a safety isnt a good stat. Loffler did play another very good game though. And that FF was a thing of beauty. Guy has a nose for the ball and makes all the right football plays.

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

I believe that was Goosen, OL had a really good game tonight.

Not really good, he had that awful miss snap that the argos pounced on but was brought back by a off sides penalty. The line as a hole played well though. Running was tough in the first quarter and a half but after that they tightened up as a unit and played very well. 

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I like how Bond brings an attitude to our team and when Richardson went down late in the game displayed his sportmanship. well done.

Side note: ****** bag Toronto defender telling the Bombers to keep away from Richardson because the game wasn't over. Whatever. 

Bond is a wrecking ball and I'm glad he's on our side.  Fwiw I could swear I the Argo player was actually joking.  Right at the bottom of my tv screen I saw him waving people back, cut a big grin and then laughing?

Just now, BigBlueFanatic said:

Bond is a wrecking ball and I'm glad he's on our side.  Fwiw I could swear I the Argo player was actually joking.  Right at the bottom of my tv screen I saw him waving people back, cut a big grin and then laughing?

Okay I hope so. Because if not, throw it in the pile of why I can't stomach the argos.

The other random thought I had a couple of days ago was in relation to always responding to Kapt Crunch's argument that we should be CFL fans first then our team.  To that I say, I hate, and will always hate, all other teams BUT I'm  a fan of certain individual non-Bomber players and coaches.  For example, I'm a huge Zach Collaros Chip Cox Coach Anthony Cavillo fan . . .

It was Greenwood on the cart (looks like he's dun for awhile) ..'Get back Winnipeg, get back this is our guy'  as we tried to offer a little empathy because of his injury \...I don't know if the T.O. player was serious cuz he had a grin all the time he was saying it....???crazy.

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

It was Greenwood on the cart (looks like he's dun for awhile) ..'Get back Winnipeg, get back this is our guy'  as we tried to offer a little empathy because of his injury \...I don't know if the T.O. player was serious cuz he had a grin all the time he was saying it....???crazy.

Right Greenwood, not Richardson, sorry.

odds and sods = only reason I visit here after training camp over

do or die?  what brand of gin? neat? G&T? martini?

bombers: my favourite parts of last three games = not being physically dominated on line of scrimmage + not losing yardage on every special teams exchange -- it's been a long time since we had advantages here.

Random thoughts in no particular order…

-          Truthfully I was nervous heading into this game. Having momentum after two wins, and on the road facing a back up QB – It would have been “so Bombers” to have gone into Toronto and lose that football game.

-          As Milt Stegall has said time and again, “It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.”

-          Not a lot going the Bombers way early on. No pressure, offensive line struggles, no run game, dropped passes, and bad throws and decisions with the ball.

-          Over the final 30 minutes different story…Pressure leads to sacks and turnovers, the offensive line starts making holes for Harris and buying Nichols time, and Nichols in turn starts making better decisions and more accurate throws.

-          Sticking with Nichols, he’s obviously playing the best football of his career right now. His career stats aren’t pretty. Neither was his performance last season down the stretch. That said, whether it’s scheme fit (which in my personal opinion it is), or having a chip on his shoulder – His numbers over the last three games speak for themselves, even if he does have a few dangerous throws a game the puts your heart in your throat.

-          It’s funny in hindsight how Clarence Denmark was perceived as not good enough to be a member of this football club this year. Even more amusing is how he was perceived to not be good enough for the Riders this year or their four practice squads…

-          It really is amazing how Travis Bond has helped solidify this offensive line. Not only has his work been outstanding, but his ability to do his job (and do it well) has allowed Mathias Goossen to have a strong last few games as well.

-          Speaking of Goossen, loved seeing him help Andrew Harris get those final few yards on that TD run which looked to be headed for disaster as he broke it outside.

-          Despite limited reps, Shayon Green still taking bad penalties.

-          For all the hype he’s gotten at various points in his young career, Jace Davis just isn’t getting it done, especially at a time when almost everyone else is stepping up with others going down.

-          A defensive secondary with Adams, Fogg, Loffler, Johnson, and Randle…Pick your poison. Hope to see our two regular corners back after the bye (nothing against Frederick – Roberts clearly the weakest of the current bunch).

-          Quite the difference in playcalling over the past few weeks versus the earlier stages of the year. Gone are the five hitch passes a game which everyone sees coming. Here now is play-action passes which attack the opposing secondary in a variety of ways.

-          Kevin Fogg – Not sure what can be said that’s any different from the glowing endorsements he’s received. He’s a gamer.

-          Euclid Cummings quietly had a good game. Was often collapsing the middle of the pocket.

-          I’ve really been impressed with the discipline shown by our DB’s as of late. How many illegal contact penalties have we had over the last month?

-          Special teams in all facets has been really impressive lately. Not just the returns and lack of penalties, but also limiting the return game of other clubs.

-          For all the questioning about his punting ability, I’d say Justin Medlock has done quite well lately, especially when it comes to directional punting.

-          At the end of the day, football is not a science. Protect the ball, and win the battles on both sides of the line of scrimmage – Something we’ve done very, very well over the past three weeks.

The last few Bomber games for me have been like a trip down memory lane.  A lot of our wins back in those glory years of the 1980's were exactly like the Toronto game.  Our offense usually wasn't ever that over-powering, especially after Clements was done, but it was always good enough to capitalize on the many turnovers generated by our unbelievable defense.  The game would look like it was going no where, and then boom, Ty Jones would steam roll over a QB and Stan Mikawos would pick up the ball and start running (see 1984 Grey Cup) or Rod Hill would make a big interception and turn the whole game around.  But the key wasn't just creating turnovers, it was having an offense that could capitalize on them and score TD's, not just field goals.  Having that killer instinct to make the other team pay.  The past few games we have finally gotten that offense.  So happy to see it.

Edited by kelownabomberfan